Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby Rope-Pusher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Teamwork wrote:I know I've talked about this somewhere, at sometime on these forums but as winter is around the corner my cars been weird with 3rd gear in an under 40 F environment. It seems pretty random to me though the common trend seems to happen at a higher rate when the car is just started but it'll take a "wiggle" to get through a notchy 3rd gate but then I'll restart and get in smooth as butter. I can't think of any reason behind this and usually just more effort is required but again seems to be a common nature of this transmission in the winter... I was wondering if there is anything that could really be the perpetrator here or worth trying to try and get rid of this/minimize. It's literally only 3rd too whether I'm downshifting from 4th or up shifting from 2nd.

Cold trans fluid is like thick pancake syrup / warm jello. It takes more effort to wipe it off the synchro surfaces than warm fluid does. Also, sometimes, depending on the design, there might be a rail sliding into a pocket in the trans case as part of the shift motion and the pocket fills with fluid when driving in other gears and the rail has to squeeze it out of there when you first shift into that year. It might just feel like hydraulic drag with warm fluid, but feels worse with cold fluid.
Anyway, whatever it is, eye wooden worry about it.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby Rope-Pusher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Image
DEALERS GRAPPLE WITH EMPLOYEE TURNOVER - Autoline Daily
Most car dealerships have a horrific problem with employee turnover. The National Auto Dealers Association says the turnover rate for sales people at car dealerships is 71% a year. In the service department it’s 41%, with finance and insurance people it’s 37%. And even 16% of general managers, the people who run the dealership, quit their jobs every year. Dale Pollack, an expert in automotive retail, says it has to do with dealerships hiring the wrong people, or not doing a good job of finding the people with the right skills. Dale Pollack says it’s the number one problem at car dealerships, and that fixing it is the fastest way that dealers can improve their profitability. If you’d like to hear more of Dale’s insights into car dealerships, check out the Autoline This Week show we did with him, show number 2135.

U.S. CAR DEALERSHIP EMPLOYEE TURNOVER
Sales 71% / year
Service 41%
F&I 37%
General Manager 16%
Source: NADA

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby Rope-Pusher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Image
VW Jetta gets new look, platform in quest to win sedan shoppers

Some interesting posts in the comment section of the article.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017121 ... a-redesign
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby tankinbeans » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Looks nice, but I suspect it'll get watered down and diluted before it hits our streets. If the manual transmission is anything like the current Golf TSI and Alltrack then it could be very moo gusta.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15988
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby theholycow » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am

Carbon fiber will be fine for the bed in 1500 models, most of which don't see any hauling beyond groceries, and most of which end up with bedliners before they even haul one loaf of bread. Anyway CF is no slouch (much stronger than fiberglass) and I bet they're laying it on thick. It seems like it would make sense to use lightweight materials to replace sheet metal fore of the bed first though.

Weight distribution should be ok with crew cabs, but might be a little more lame with longbed regular cab.

From the article: "Carbon fibre, according to one source, is expected to be used as part of a mix of materials for the box of the pickups, including aluminum." Any guesses which areas will be CF, which will be aluminum, etc? Or, maybe it will be layers.

As for the Jetta...I'm with tank. Good gearbox + concept image would be very moogusta.
Image
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby Rope-Pusher » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 pm

Oh, not munch,....what's snow with you?


(I staid add werk until 8:30 and then drove hoam at 40-50 mph the entyre whey. I sketched a neat little apparatus after the office got empty and I could actyually think on one subject at a thyme. I felt glitty when eye saw that my Jeep was blocking Mr. Snowplowface from dune hiss jop, ore eye mite half staid laiter. Then I had an hour of fun wrestling with the beast and blowing snow for misleph anne abut 10 nayburz. The last coupola houses I was dragon a flat left tyre)
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7219
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby potownrob » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:Oh, not munch,....what's snow with you?


(I staid add werk until 8:30 and then drove hoam at 40-50 mph the entyre whey. I sketched a neat little apparatus after the office got empty and I could actyually think on one subject at a thyme. I felt glitty when eye saw that my Jeep was blocking Mr. Snowplowface from dune hiss jop, ore eye mite half staid laiter. Then I had an hour of fun wrestling with the beast and blowing snow for misleph anne abut 10 nayburz. The last coupola houses I was dragon a flat left tyre)
eye whole pah day payed ewe fore yore sir vicious sir role pah. ether dat ore day reel lee kneaded yore hell pah. ewe no, like olde pee pull end such.
FÜR DIE FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7219
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby potownrob » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:50 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:Image
VW Jetta gets new look, platform in quest to win sedan shoppers

Some interesting posts in the comment section of the article.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017121 ... a-redesign
moo gusta molto bene :shock:
FÜR DIE FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby Rope-Pusher » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:13 pm

potownrob wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Oh, not munch,....what's snow with you?


(I staid add werk until 8:30 and then drove hoam at 40-50 mph the entyre whey. I sketched a neat little apparatus after the office got empty and I could actyually think on one subject at a thyme. I felt glitty when eye saw that my Jeep was blocking Mr. Snowplowface from dune hiss jop, ore eye mite half staid laiter. Then I had an hour of fun wrestling with the beast and blowing snow for misleph anne abut 10 nayburz. The last coupola houses I was dragon a flat left tyre)
eye whole pah day payed ewe fore yore sir vicious sir role pah. ether dat ore day reel lee kneaded yore hell pah. ewe no, like olde pee pull end such.


Once I start up the Orange Beast, it just seems too easy to keep going along the sidewalk until the next corner...then Across the street and back toward home. The couple across the street recetly had an earlier than expected birth, so they've been spending time at the horsepillow Neonatal intensive care unit lately, so I did their driveway too. Gonna ficks the beast's flat tar tudae.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7219
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby potownrob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:29 am

Earth to Standardshift?! Wake up Standardshift!! Engage: STANDARDSHIFT!!!! :o :D :!:
FÜR DIE FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby Rope-Pusher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Engage?!!!!! This is owl sew sudden. We can have pizza at the reception? Well,.........ok!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 am

potownrob wrote:Earth to Standardshift?! Wake up Standardshift!! Engage: STANDARDSHIFT!!!! :o :D :!:

Shark bait: bahaha!

Question: Malcolm requires 0W-20, but the dealer put in 5W-20 according to the sticker. Should I be concerned or is it common practice to use a slightly thicker blend during winter months? I've only ever used 5W or 10W because that's all my vehicles have called for.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby Rope-Pusher » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:Earth to Standardshift?! Wake up Standardshift!! Engage: STANDARDSHIFT!!!! :o :D :!:

Shark bait: bahaha!

Question: Malcolm requires 0W-20, but the dealer put in 5W-20 according to the sticker. Should I be concerned or is it common practice to use a slightly thicker blend during winter months? I've only ever used 5W or 10W because that's all my vehicles have called for.

What does the owners Manuel say about oil recommendations throughout the year? Sometimes the show a chart with temperature ranges for two or more different oil viscosities. Usually, you'd want higher numbers in hot temperatures and lower viscosity numbers for colder temperatures. Depending on where you live, your climate might allow one oil viscosity to be used all year round. If you ask, and they say the sticker is correct for the oil they used, I'd prolly axe em to drain it and put in the oil recommended by the manufacturer.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:50 pm

I'll have to check, but I'm just west of you in St. Paul, MN. I checked the manual and see that in Mexico 5W is approved, but didn't specifically see anything about nice intemperate climes.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15690
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Postby watkins » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Its tire and wheel shopping time. I always forget how damn expensive these wheel things are until its time to spend the big bucks. Realistically I could wait until spring to buy my summer setup, but if I dont spend the money set aside for car purposes I end up putting it towards something else. Considering I have about $1400 worth of suspension upgrades I want to do as well, I better get saving.
Image


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests