Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:With no badging, the Nissan in that vintage that would probably be considered most worth importing would be a Skyline.
I've seen a few R32s and know it's not one of those. This was a weird little hatchback that sounded really sick.
I saw an R32 today. It was stranded on the side of the road and the owner was nowhere in sight.
Finders = Keepers
Losers = Weepers
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:Please tell me all your thoughts on taco trucks and jeep wanglers. In particular the new ones.
I love taco trucks. They serve delicious tacos.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I've briefly driven a Tacoma. Their option book with respect to engines, cabs, and beds is better than Colorado's if you want the correct transmission, but that's not saying a lot.

Wrangler is a lot of money for what it is.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

IMBoring25 wrote:I've briefly driven a Tacoma. Their option book with respect to engines, cabs, and beds is better than Colorado's if you want the correct transmission, but that's not saying a lot.

If I could fit into a Tacoma, I'd have bought one. As for Wranglers, they are mostly bought as status symbols around here. Outfitted from the dealer lot with lifts, tires, bumpers and winches that never get used. I'd love to see how much money people are rolling into their financing after getting all these goodies that they never use.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:I've briefly driven a Tacoma. Their option book with respect to engines, cabs, and beds is better than Colorado's if you want the correct transmission, but that's not saying a lot.

If I could fit into a Tacoma, I'd have bought one. As for Wranglers, they are mostly bought as status symbols around here. Outfitted from the dealer lot with lifts, tires, bumpers and winches that never get used. I'd love to see how much money people are rolling into their financing after getting all these goodies that they never use.
If you pull the carpeting out of your new Jeep Wrangler, you will find that there are ducts for floor heat to the rear seat area. Molded into the duct is either the word "Wrangler" or the word "Jeep", I can't remember which. We fingered that it won't be seen until at least the 3rd owner, who may take the doors off and go running through a river or a mud hole and have to take the carpet out afterward and open the floor drains.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:

If you pull the carpeting out of your new Jeep Wrangler, you will find that there are ducts for floor heat to the rear seat area. Molded into the duct is either the word "Wrangler" or the word "Jeep", I can't remember which. We fingered that it won't be seen until at least the 3rd owner, who may take the doors off and go running through a river or a mud hole and have to take the carpet out afterward and open the floor drains.
you guys are echoing a lot of what i've read and heard about these vehicles. eye most likely would go for a sport-luxury sedan over one of these, but they intrigue me, especially the wrangler. i never really saw them as a status symbol or anything like that (maybe that's a southern thing??), and kind of pity anyone who does. i like the idea of driving up high and having more of a truck like seating and shifting position, plus the removable roof and doors sound cool. On the newer ones, with the hard top, you can take off just the front part of the roof (and store it in the back) which is cool too. i've never owned a truck or truck-like vehicle, short of the CR-V, but have enjoyed driving and riding in trucks and jeeps. driving and riding in Tony's jeep was fun, at times exciting (especially on the river). i remember him saying repeatedly that the wrangler isn't meant for driving on the highway, and i believe it, especially for the older jeeps, but even with its huge tires and lower gearing (rubicon?), i found it to drive nicely on the backroads at 40-50 mph. if i were to get a wrangler, my priorities would probably best match the sport or sahara - i don't need it to climb big rocks or super steep hills, but would want it to be able to do basic off-road things. i also like having some more luxury features like power windows and locks, heated seats, good lumbar support and a decent stereo.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
you guys are echoing a lot of what i've read and heard about these vehicles. eye most likely would go for a sport-luxury sedan over one of these, but they intrigue me, especially the wrangler. i never really saw them as a status symbol or anything like that (maybe that's a southern thing??), and kind of pity anyone who does. i like the idea of driving up high and having more of a truck like seating and shifting position, plus the removable roof and doors sound cool. On the newer ones, with the hard top, you can take off just the front part of the roof (and store it in the back) which is cool too. i've never owned a truck or truck-like vehicle, short of the CR-V, but have enjoyed driving and riding in trucks and jeeps. driving and riding in Tony's jeep was fun, at times exciting (especially on the river). i remember him saying repeatedly that the wrangler isn't meant for driving on the highway, and i believe it, especially for the older jeeps, but even with its huge tires and lower gearing (rubicon?), i found it to drive nicely on the backroads at 40-50 mph. if i were to get a wrangler, my priorities would probably best match the sport or sahara - i don't need it to climb big rocks or super steep hills, but would want it to be able to do basic off-road things. i also like having some more luxury features like power windows and locks, heated seats, good lumbar support and a decent stereo.
Wrangler sells against.......mustang! A vehicle people buy to have some fun with, not just for transportation. That's why latest Wrangler was made to be more car-like in how it shifts, how it drives on expressways, wind noise, etc. Previous gens were such that you knew you were not in a car. This gen the goal was to keep the jeepiness, like off road performance, doors that remove, roof that comes off, windshield that folds down, but make doors easier to put back on, easier to fold windshield, ....take all the rough edges off....or at least chamfer the corners. So,...Hominy Pipple dew ewe spose half ever pholded their jeep windshields?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

A.) Put it in a rocket and shoot it off toward the sun!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Q.) What do you do when you Tesla's battery goes bad and you can't afford the $50k for a new battery or the $10k battery disposal fee?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wrangler sells against.......mustang! A vehicle people buy to have some fun with, not just for transportation. That's why latest Wrangler was made to be more car-like in how it shifts, how it drives on expressways, wind noise, etc. Previous gens were such that you knew you were not in a car. This gen the goal was to keep the jeepiness, like off road performance, doors that remove, roof that comes off, windshield that folds down, but make doors easier to put back on, easier to fold windshield, ....take all the rough edges off....or at least chamfer the corners. So,...Hominy Pipple dew ewe spose half ever pholded their jeep windshields?
sounds perfect for me, other than the price. i don't foresee myself folding down the windshield on the regular though... :) :roll: 8)

edit: eye remember tony and me trying to undo his windshield to fold it and not succeeding for some reason. the process seemed too involved, though it would be fun to ride along at low speeds without the windshield up.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

JK windshields are flat-out not meant to be folded down. I don't care what Jeep has to say. Ive folded dozens to replace bad seals and its been a pain each time. Jeep would have been better off just having a stationary windshield. Hopefully the JL isn't nearly as bad In terms of water leaks that happen because of a blatantly stupid design.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:JK windshields are flat-out not meant to be folded down. I don't care what Jeep has to say. Ive folded dozens to replace bad seals and its been a pain each time. Jeep would have been better off just having a stationary windshield. Hopefully the JL isn't nearly as bad In terms of water leaks that happen because of a blatantly stupid design.
Yeah, it definitely seemed that way, as though it was made to look like you could fold the windshield, but actually doing it is another story. And it wasn’t like Tony didn’t have the right tools with him, at least I think he did...we were both flabbergasted that it wasn’t easier to get it folded.

Edit: this was on a tj for those who didn’t see his Jeep.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:JK windshields are flat-out not meant to be folded down. I don't care what Jeep has to say. Ive folded dozens to replace bad seals and its been a pain each time. Jeep would have been better off just having a stationary windshield. Hopefully the JL isn't nearly as bad In terms of water leaks that happen because of a blatantly stupid design.
Father Flanagan said there are no bad seals, just hungry seals that hop into fishermen's nets and eat their catch, leaving the seals sated and the fisherman's family famished.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm actually kind of interested in the JL. From the brief exposure I have had so far, it has potential.

That said, I would not seriously consider buying it until its second or third year in production. I've been burned on a 1st year car (my 2012 Sonic was a flaming dumpster fire of issues and I was not able to lemon it). My F150 is the 2nd year of the new redesign, and it was manufactured after some of the more serious issues, such as the oil burning TSB the 15s and earlier 16s had, where the 2.7 was burning a good bit of oil and owners were getting new long blocks.

On the flipside, I might just consider an old YJ to mess around with, but Jeeps aren't cheap here. They are very much the image vehicle and here more so that I've seen up north. Plus, everyone who wants a rust free jeep comes down here from up north and east to get one, so the prices stay pretty high.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:I'm actually kind of interested in the JL. From the brief exposure I have had so far, it has potential.

That said, I would not seriously consider buying it until its second or third year in production. I've been burned on a 1st year car (my 2012 Sonic was a flaming dumpster fire of issues and I was not able to lemon it). My F150 is the 2nd year of the new redesign, and it was manufactured after some of the more serious issues, such as the oil burning TSB the 15s and earlier 16s had, where the 2.7 was burning a good bit of oil and owners were getting new long blocks.

On the flipside, I might just consider an old YJ to mess around with, but Jeeps aren't cheap here. They are very much the image vehicle and here more so that I've seen up north. Plus, everyone who wants a rust free jeep comes down here from up north and east to get one, so the prices stay pretty high.
yeah, they're expensive up here too. tacomas are too. good thinking about skipping the first year. some cars i find okay to get the first year, at least after they are used, such as most hondas (both my 03 accord and 12 cr-v were good reliable first year models - granted the cr-v had had recall issues, but they were fixed by the time i had it). what i'm seeing in online searches is expensive jeeps. early (~97-98) TJs are being listed for over 6k, but most of the ones i'm looking at online look to be in exceptional condition, especially for their age and let alone for their location. a hardtop manual TJ in very good condition (for its age) could make a good 2nd/winter vehicle for me, and probably many others as well. now to see if i can get this real job to pay for it all.

edit: please tell me any thoughts on xterras. tony, didn't you have one way back when?? albeit auto??