Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote: key fob thing i'd have to look at to see how they're different; i know my jetta's was different and took a different battery. i replaced the battery in my golf key fob with the one the older fobs take (slightly bigger battery) and it's been running strong since the fall/winter of '16 when i replaced it... :idea: :twisted: took some pressure on the battery door to close it, but it hasn't popped open yet and the range is superb. :)
Yeah, pretty bizarre- it definitely seemed like something was wrong with it or the battery was weakened somehow but this loaner only had 2500 miles on it. I'm sure it hasn't even gone through a first oil change yet even. I park pretty far away from my office building but could literally lock and unlock my doors from the glass window of my floor.
Am I mistaken or is VW the only fully line manufacturer that no longer offer NA engines? I can't recall the last VW that didn't come with a turbocharger, or briefly, a hybrid system.
The 3.6 V6 still exists in exclusive trim levels but you'll be paying an arm and leg for it since it's mostly exclusive to SEL+ types. I usually hear that engine is very strong though.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I drove a Mitsubishi outlandish to the Toronto area. Don't much like the seavy tea atall.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Am I mistaken or is VW the only fully line manufacturer that no longer offer NA engines? I can't recall the last VW that didn't come with a turbocharger, or briefly, a hybrid system.
there's still an atlas with NA written on it. vw's website also still lists the soon-to-be-extinct touareg which has a v(r)6. the passat also can still be had with an na v(r)6. not sure why they did away with the vr6 name on their vr6 engines; per haps it was too confusing to the critics?? :? :x :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Am I mistaken or is VW the only fully line manufacturer that no longer offer NA engines? I can't recall the last VW that didn't come with a turbocharger, or briefly, a hybrid system.
there's still an atlas with NA written on it. vw's website also still lists the soon-to-be-extinct touareg which has a v(r)6. the passat also can still be had with an na v(r)6. not sure why they did away with the vr6 name on their vr6 engines; per haps it was too confusing to the critics?? :? :x :)
I'm stinkin' they are reaching out to non-traditional VW Buyers when they just refer to it as a V6.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I drove a Mitsubishi outlandish to the Toronto area. Don't much like the seavy tea atall.
isnt that just a rebadged Chrysler product??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:I drove a Mitsubishi outlandish to the Toronto area. Don't much like the seavy tea atall.
Would have to be decades old. Chrysler hasn't been in bed with Mitsubishi for a long while.

Now it's going to be warmed over Renault-Nissan crap.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:
Would have to be decades old. Chrysler hasn't been in bed with Mitsubishi for a long while.

thought they were still chtrylsler since they look like uglier dodges and jeeps?? Nissan not much better and would explain the bad cvt...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:isnt that just a rebadged Chrysler product??

thought they were still chtrylsler since they look like uglier dodges and jeeps?? Nissan not much better and would explain the bad cvt...
Well (restricted inhaling sound), during the DamnLiarChizzler daze, there was a joint program with MMC on C&D-sized vehicles.
DC got sick (and tarred) of perpetually pumping money into MMC and the joint program fell apart, but from the DC side, the Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass and Patriot of the mid-2-lait 2000's were the C-sized vehicles while the Chrysler Sebring and the Dodge Avenger and Journey were the D-sized vehicles. Of those vehicles, the two Jeeps were produced until December of 2017 and the Dodge Journey CUV is still in production today.

There was also a global engine program shared between MMC, DC and Hyundai. The 2.4L I4 engine standard in the Journey is the result of that alliance. The 2.4L I4 found in the (4th Gen?) Dodge Dart, the 2nd Gen Chrysler 200, and the Jeep Cherokee, 2nd Gen Compass, and Renegade are from a joint (there goes that noise again) engine program between Chrysler and Fiat.

I'm not sure how much of the shared DNA is present in the 2013 Outlandish that I drove.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

You learn something new...

I thought it was completely disbanded when the 2nd gen(?) Eclipse like the one from 2 Fast 2 Furious ended production. Would have been 2002ish and then the Kim K Eclipse came out, bulging and utterly shapeless.

Rope, was the DC/MMC joint venture an evolution of Diamond Star Motors or was it a completely different animal?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:You learn something new...

I thought it was completely disbanded when the 2nd gen(?) Eclipse like the one from 2 Fast 2 Furious ended production. Would have been 2002ish and then the Kim K Eclipse came out, bulging and utterly shapeless.

Rope, was the DC/MMC joint venture an evolution of Diamond Star Motors or was it a completely different animal?
Different animus. Chrysler had a long history with MMC, from buying vehicles imported from Japan and rebranding them for sales as Plymouth and Dodge vehicles (starting in the 1970's), to jointly designing and developing vehicles and co-owning (late 1980's) the Diamond Star assembly plant in Normal, IL, to selling their share of the plant to MMC (circa 1991) and then selling engines and transmissions to MMC and purchasing vehicles built in the Normal IL plant (Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser), but had ended it and sold off their shares of MMC stock before DamnLiarChizzler went on a spending spree with what had been Chrysler's $9 Billion "Rainy Day Fund" and bought into MMC again. The last trip I took to Japan to work with my MMC colleagues was prolly in 2003 or so.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote: Would have to be decades old. Chrysler hasn't been in bed with Mitsubishi for a long while.

Well (restricted inhaling sound), during the DamnLiarChizzler daze, there was a joint program with MMC on C&D-sized vehicles.
DC got sick (and tarred) of perpetually pumping money into MMC and the joint program fell apart, but from the DC side, the Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass and Patriot of the mid-2-lait 2000's were the C-sized vehicles while the Chrysler Sebring and the Dodge Avenger and Journey were the D-sized vehicles. Of those vehicles, the two Jeeps were produced until December of 2017 and the Dodge Journey CUV is still in production today.

There was also a global engine program shared between MMC, DC and Hyundai. The 2.4L I4 engine standard in the Journey is the result of that alliance. The 2.4L I4 found in the (4th Gen?) Dodge Dart, the 2nd Gen Chrysler 200, and the Jeep Cherokee, 2nd Gen Compass, and Renegade are from a joint (there goes that noise again) engine program between Chrysler and Fiat.

I'm not sure how much of the shared DNA is present in the 2013 Outlandish that I drove.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

A møøse once bit my sister.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:A møøse once bit my sister.
I guess she must not taste too good or she would have gotten bit more than once.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:A møøse once bit my sister.
I guess she must not taste too good or she would have gotten bit more than once.
A bit gritty.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport