Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

the SS cannot be dead. i cannot bear to see my post from two days ago potentially having sunken the SS. :shock: :? :cry:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

the SS cannot be dead. i cannot bear to see my post from two days ago potentially having sunken the SS. :shock: :? :cry:
Tanks For The Memories!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Today I touched the teeth of the final drive gear in a FWD transmission from the outside of the case.

My friend has a VW MKV Jetta, manual. For a while he's been having trouble with a mysterious fluid leak of some kind splattering fluid all over the rear lower left portion of the engine bay. Yesterday, his transmission started shifting poorly and making noise, so we figured the leak must be trans fluid and it's leaked enough that the level is now too low. We thought it was axle seals, because several threads on VW forums say that's pretty common. We bought some fluid and topped it off for now, until he could get the axle seals looked at.

Well, as he was pulling away from my driveway it began puking out all of the new fluid, so he came back, we lifted up the front and set to investigating. Eventually, with the help of another friend who showed up, we found that the axles had a ton of play and part of the transmission case was being chewed by the bolts on the axle. When we were wiggling the axles, a steady drip started right before our eyes. We followed the trail of fresh leaking fluid and discovered a thumb-sized chunk of aluminum completely missing, and we were able to feel the teeth of the final drive gear :shock: .

Not sure how the hell that happened, and how long the hole had been there.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, it's not every day that you are presented with such an opportunity!

That's whatcha call yur air-cooled differential. What ventilated it was prolly sumpin from inside the trans. Cudda bean sumpin exra, like a bolt that was sittin' on the maggot for a long time before gettin' bounced loose, or, it cudda bean sumpin what broke loose recently. I've seen ring gear bolts back out after many a mile and when they get wedged between the case and the whirling ring gear, the aluminum case usually erupts to relieve the pressure. Maybe you could look through the aperture and see if any of the ring gear bolts are missing. I've also seen where the pinion gear seizes to the pinion shaft and the spinning shaft takes out it's retainer clip and then the poinion shaft starts walking outboard and machinging a groove on the inside of the case until it breaks through at the thinnest point.

Wow, you could run a 50/50 raffle with guesses as to what happened and use your half of the money to buy some JB Weld to fix the hole in the case. You are so lucky!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Ugh, for the first time since "borrowing" my father's cell phone in my sophomore year of high school I have broken a cell phone. It's not just a shattered screen but it's essentially unusable as the screen just flickers non stop in a seizure inducing like motion. Not too sure what I'm going to do since I still owe $240 left on this thing and still have nearly a year until my contract runs up...

I'm usually more careful and this drop didn't seem all that bad- probably waist level onto a "soft" floor (non carpeted) but face down. Going to try getting an estimate at a third party repair but I'm not holding my breathe at all. I recently switched carriers too so it's not like I can just "use an old phone" for the time being.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:Ugh, for the first time since "borrowing" my father's cell phone in my sophomore year of high school I have broken a cell phone. It's not just a shattered screen but it's essentially unusable as the screen just flickers non stop in a seizure inducing like motion. Not too sure what I'm going to do since I still owe $240 left on this thing and still have nearly a year until my contract runs up...

I'm usually more careful and this drop didn't seem all that bad- probably waist level onto a "soft" floor (non carpeted) but face down. Going to try getting an estimate at a third party repair but I'm not holding my breathe at all. I recently switched carriers too so it's not like I can just "use an old phone" for the time being.
what phone was it?? Which carrier you on now?? I have had mostly good luck buying used phones on eBay. There are other sites dedicated to used phone sales but I forget any of them off hand and don't recall ever buying through one.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:what phone was it?? Which carrier you on now?? I have had mostly good luck buying used phones on eBay. There are other sites dedicated to used phone sales but I forget any of them off hand and don't recall ever buying through one.
Galaxy S7 Edge / Verizon. I don't even have experience bricking my phones honestly, so I don't even know where to begin. I forgot that this phone though was the first one that was "technically" leased by forced hand. I'm so used to paying for the cost up front that I totally forgot I still was paying it down technically. The part that hurts the most is I'm pretty much having to pay $250 for a downgrade... there's no issue in using an older phone or obtaining one but I hope there's no hidden fees to re-activate an old phone. Yikes... I think I may consider insurance in the future especially since the products force you to lease the payments. If I paid for this all up front I wouldn't feel so much of a burn...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Phone insurance is hit or miss.

I drowned an S6 (they weren't waterproof) about a year and a half ago. Two replacements late through insurance, and the phones were never right. One had visibly wavy screen and mic was funky. The latest one clearly had the screen replaced and it wasn't sealed well. In only a month or so, major dust got between the front camera and the glass, rendering it useless. Luckily I don't take any selfies, so I left it at that rather than waste my time and replace it again.

Luckily, the company I work for allows me to UA test phones and their software, so I'm not using my own selfie-incapable hardware at this time.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

AHTOXA wrote:Phone insurance is hit or miss.

I drowned an S6 (they weren't waterproof) about a year and a half ago. Two replacements late through insurance, and the phones were never right. One had visibly wavy screen and mic was funky. The latest one clearly had the screen replaced and it wasn't sealed well. In only a month or so, major dust got between the front camera and the glass, rendering it useless. Luckily I don't take any selfies, so I left it at that rather than waste my time and replace it again.

Luckily, the company I work for allows me to UA test phones and their software, so I'm not using my own selfie-incapable hardware at this time.
I'd probably opt out of insurance in the future still given this situation but I was open to hearing takes from everyone. I own this issue really not going to try and spin it off as anything but- seems like more of a bad luck/inconvenience at this point. Phone has a completely dead screen now- it seemed to have gone from, usable with a pink line across the top of the screen, to seizure inducing white/green flashing (still was semi legible), to the screen won't even turn on now.

I went to two third party repair shops who are authorized by Verizon and was quoted an internal LCD repair between the prices of $300-$400. I believe that's too steep to even attempt going this route... I only owe $240 and change on the "bricked phone" and to jump to a new phone $300-$400 would literally be half/more than half of the price. The repair shops both provide a "warranty" for 2 months but I am not totally sold that they fix and this issue doesn't potentially come back. If this merely a spider web on the glass I'd be more willing to try...

Tony; I had an S7 Edge (RIP) and an S5 before that (2 year plans- so I skipped the S6) and honestly I still don't really regret these phones. The S5 actually may be the longest phone I've ever had at for nearly 3 years. I had an HTC model before that but that company has gone pretty quiet. I actually really liked my HTC too (it's probably right up there with my S5) and the physical body/construction of that phone was probably better then my Samsungs. It felt like it could take quite a bit of abuse and after 2 years it basically was still in excellent condition. The only time I ever truly had an issue with a phone itself was I had a Motorola Razr that had some glitchy software but I truly cared for my phones. Wish I could make excuses here with a mistake that will probably end up costing me $900-$1000 but the only thing I can say is I guess it fell "just right". It wasn't that high of a drop, and it wasn't on a "hard surface". A lot of these new phones have "protruding"/curved glass so even with the best cases the lip doesn't compensate from the glass hitting. It hit face down on the ground and not flush so I'm def thinking that the front of the glass ate the impact...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Teamwork wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Phone insurance is hit or miss.

I'd probably opt out of insurance in the future still given this situation but I was open to hearing takes from everyone. I own this issue really not going to try and spin it off as anything but- seems like more of a bad luck/inconvenience at this point. Phone has a completely dead screen now- it seemed to have gone from, usable with a pink line across the top of the screen, to seizure inducing white/green flashing (still was semi legible), to the screen won't even turn on now.

I went to two third party repair shops who are authorized by Verizon and was quoted an internal LCD repair between the prices of $300-$400. I believe that's too steep to even attempt going this route... I only owe $240 and change on the "bricked phone" and to jump to a new phone $300-$400 would literally be half/more than half of the price. The repair shops both provide a "warranty" for 2 months but I am not totally sold that they fix and this issue doesn't potentially come back. If this merely a spider web on the glass I'd be more willing to try...

Tony; I had an S7 Edge (RIP) and an S5 before that (2 year plans- so I skipped the S6) and honestly I still don't really regret these phones. The S5 actually may be the longest phone I've ever had at for nearly 3 years. I had an HTC model before that but that company has gone pretty quiet. I actually really liked my HTC too (it's probably right up there with my S5) and the physical body/construction of that phone was probably better then my Samsungs. It felt like it could take quite a bit of abuse and after 2 years it basically was still in excellent condition. The only time I ever truly had an issue with a phone itself was I had a Motorola Razr that had some glitchy software but I truly cared for my phones. Wish I could make excuses here with a mistake that will probably end up costing me $900-$1000 but the only thing I can say is I guess it fell "just right". It wasn't that high of a drop, and it wasn't on a "hard surface". A lot of these new phones have "protruding"/curved glass so even with the best cases the lip doesn't compensate from the glass hitting. It hit face down on the ground and not flush so I'm def thinking that the front of the glass ate the impact...
Don't feel too bad. When I was using my S6, I dropped it from waist height onto concrete. Face down, almost flat.

Spiderwebbed the screen. Still cracked, but I'm not using it at this time (will eventually go back to it once my UA trial of current hardware expires in a few months).
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote:what phone was it?? Which carrier you on now?? I have had mostly good luck buying used phones on eBay. There are other sites dedicated to used phone sales but I forget any of them off hand and don't recall ever buying through one.
Galaxy S7 Edge / Verizon. I don't even have experience bricking my phones honestly, so I don't even know where to begin. I forgot that this phone though was the first one that was "technically" leased by forced hand. I'm so used to paying for the cost up front that I totally forgot I still was paying it down technically. The part that hurts the most is I'm pretty much having to pay $250 for a downgrade... there's no issue in using an older phone or obtaining one but I hope there's no hidden fees to re-activate an old phone. Yikes... I think I may consider insurance in the future especially since the products force you to lease the payments. If I paid for this all up front I wouldn't feel so much of a burn...
if it's being leased, don't they automatically cover it?? At least that's how it works with the iPhones. If not, I'd buy a used phone before wasting hundreds to repair that one.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:if it's being leased, don't they automatically cover it?? At least that's how it works with the iPhones. If not, I'd buy a used phone before wasting hundreds to repair that one.
Leased is a bit incorrect in terminology but in essence it's what actually happens. You don't have to pay for phones up front anymore through Verizon and you actually make monthly payments (on a set price) along with your actual phone bill. After 12 months you can essentially "trade in" (a good condition phone) and take over a new phones monthly payments and essentially only pay what you owe as you continuously give up the phone. If 2 years pass, you'll end up owning the phone but if/when you decide to upgrade they will essentially ask for that phone back on a discount to the new one. You can fight it if you want but I would most likely just give it back.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:anymore
Did they try some other arrangement for a while? What you described was exactly the way it was from the late 1990s through 2007 when I switched to Sprint, and as of that time all the major carriers (including Sprint) were still operating the same way.

For some years now I've been out of that expensive game, using cheap or free MVNOs with prepaid or used/unsubsidized phones...currently using two phones on Tello for $6/mo each, a smartphone that was a prepaid Boost phone bought for $30 new a few years ago and the flip phone that I got with my Sprint plan in 2007.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

theholycow wrote:
Did they try some other arrangement for a while? What you described was exactly the way it was from the late 1990s through 2007 when I switched to Sprint, and as of that time all the major carriers (including Sprint) were still operating the same way.

For some years now I've been out of that expensive game, using cheap or free MVNOs with prepaid or used/unsubsidized phones...currently using two phones on Tello for $6/mo each, a smartphone that was a prepaid Boost phone bought for $30 new a few years ago and the flip phone that I got with my Sprint plan in 2007.
This is the first phone (was) I ever paid out in monthly installments since my switch to Verizon from ATT. Every other phone before that I've paid a 2 year contract - "reduced price" up front... but my phone bill was essentially only the bill for service. My bill now a month had been the service + paying down the actual phone.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:
theholycow wrote:

This is the first phone (was) I ever paid out in monthly installments since my switch to Verizon from ATT. Every other phone before that I've paid a 2 year contract - "reduced price" up front... but my phone bill was essentially only the bill for service. My bill now a month had been the service + paying down the actual phone.
My Splint plans were once like that, where the cost of the plan paid for the phone and I owed nothing IF I stayed on the plan for at least 24 months....and I owned the phone. Now, there is usually some monthly phone lease fee added to the plan fee, but at the end of the lease I don't own the phone...I can buy it or lease another phone.
The lease fee is a function of where on the technology curve the phone is at.