Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote:Hello all. I'm still alive.

Wanted to make use of the braintrust and start planning for when my lease expires. I still have a ways to go, but want to possibly get a jump on working out my next move.

What would you lot recommend I look at? I'm goimg to really start looking in 3 years, but am not sure if there's anything good coming around.

My interests are as follows:
1. Manual
2. Real color (red, blue, green, hell even purple)
3. Under $30k
4. Possibly AWD
5. Reasonbly reliable
6. Willing to look used (if there's anything out now with rockhard depreciation I'd be curious)

If AWD, then go with WRX. If otherwise, spring for RWD manual. 30k is pushing it, but a decent Stang can be had for close to that.

But honestly, if you're buying in 3 years, there's no sense looking now. Lots will change over 3 years.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Stupid question, but what exactly are the differences between a WRX and an STI? I'm not as familiar with Subaru's lineup, which is part of the reason I'm checking in with others now. I've tended to be focused on Ford, Dodge and to a different extent Honda.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wait a few more years and you can get one of those flying cars.....

FLYING CARS ON THE HORIZON
Elon Musk has cited fear of falling hubcaps as one reason why flying cars will never take off, but the head engineer for Uber’s flying taxi program said he’s ready to debate Musk one-on-one about the benefits of airborne vs. subterranean mobility. And there’s at least one company that would have Uber’s back. Consultancy firm Frost & Sullivan says there will be at least 10 companies launching flying cars by 2022. There are currently 8 companies that have completed at least one test flight, including one called PAL-V that plans to make deliveries of its Liberty Pioneer flying car by the end of next year. A number of experts predict autonomous car-sharing will kill new car sales, but maybe flying vehicles will fill that void.

http://wardsauto.com/industry/consultan ... ext-decade
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

STi is the most aggressive performance-oriented model. Some reviewers consider it too much for a daily driver, particularly the suspension tuning.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yanno their still makin' Vipers for another month or so, right?

VIPER PRODUCTION ENDS IN AUGUST
Well, we all knew this was coming but it’s sad to see it end. Autoforecast Solutions reports that the last Dodge Viper will be made on August 16. The iconic sports car went into production in 1992 and earned its stripes on both the road and the track. Known for its brutal simplicity and muscular styling the car had a lot of fans, but not enough buyers. This year only about 500 will be sold. And so, after 25 years of production the last one will roll off the line in a little less than two months.

You can always add a flux capacitor and time travel with your Viper - you'll only need 2nd gear to get 'er up to speed.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote:Stupid question, but what exactly are the differences between a WRX and an STI? I'm not as familiar with Subaru's lineup, which is part of the reason I'm checking in with others now. I've tended to be focused on Ford, Dodge and to a different extent Honda.
It's essentially just trim levels of performance but I'd say the biggest difference in modern era is open front / middle diff versus a controlled center differential in the STI.

I do agree that a lot can change in 3 years- never mind the car market but more or less in one's life. I've had my GTI for 2.5 years now and don't feel like I left the honey moon phase yet but I know within 3 years this car will either: A) not be in my life anymore or B) not be my daily driver anymore. Maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise outside the warranty but I'm def feeling an urgency to drive something larger than compact. I've needed to haul and move quite a bit of stuff / people so far this year and this car feels "euro small" now where in the first year of ownership I think I may of put the rear seats down once and had 3+ myself in the car maybe one or two times...

The car meet on Saturday def had me longing a bit for a Golf R though...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Stupid question, but what exactly are the differences between a WRX and an STI? I'm not as familiar with Subaru's lineup, which is part of the reason I'm checking in with others now. I've tended to be focused on Ford, Dodge and to a different extent Honda.
STI has bigger (but older) engine, limited slip diffs (wrx just has regular diffs and does torque vectoring tricks), customizable diff distribution (not the right term, but you can tell it how much power to add front vs. rear), better transmission and shifter, stiffer suspension, brakes etc. it is definitely said to be more of a track car than a daily driver, and the gas smileage is way worse than the wrx. the wrx is also said to have better low-end torque, which is better for driving on real roads and in traffic. based on your experience w/ the focus ST, you would probably like the regular wrx better as a daily driver, IMO. 8)

edit: you might also like the forester XT :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
It's essentially just trim levels of performance but I'd say the biggest difference in modern era is open front / middle diff versus a controlled center differential in the STI.

I do agree that a lot can change in 3 years- never mind the car market but more or less in one's life. I've had my GTI for 2.5 years now and don't feel like I left the honey moon phase yet but I know within 3 years this car will either: A) not be in my life anymore or B) not be my daily driver anymore. Maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise outside the warranty but I'm def feeling an urgency to drive something larger than compact. I've needed to haul and move quite a bit of stuff / people so far this year and this car feels "euro small" now where in the first year of ownership I think I may of put the rear seats down once and had 3+ myself in the car maybe one or two times...
yeah, i wish i got a bigger car too. it has little to nothing to do with me or even passengers fitting in the car - the car is plenty big inside the cabin - it's the cargo space in the hatch that's lacking. wish they made a GTI sportwagen... :evil:
The car meet on Saturday def had me longing a bit for a Golf R though...
that's right... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:

Wanted to make use of the braintrust and start planning for when my lease expires. I still have a ways to go, but want to possibly get a jump on working out my next move.

What would you lot recommend I look at? I'm goimg to really start looking in 3 years, but am not sure if there's anything good coming around.

1. Manual
3. Under $30k
4. Possibly AWD
5. Reasonbly reliable
6. Willing to look used (if there's anything out now with rockhard depreciation I'd be curious)
Basic Subaru Impreza wagon/Crosstrek? Seems to check all the boxes above... 2nd hand def does help and could increase the list a bit but I would be thinking along the lines of Subaru WRX (/ STI) or Golf R which I'm not sure would be the epitome of reliability compared to the first choice.
what about forester premium manual?? i drove one and it was a hoot. tony owned one for a year or two. do wish you could get the turbo with a manual, but the 2.5i has decent punch and a nice soundtrack, IMO. regular impreza is okay, but to me the last gen model screamed econocar. no lowend torque and cheap feeling inside. of course i was driving a base sedan (that's all they had on the lot with a manual) and drove it back to back with the forester...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Rob, I'll pay attention to your thoughts on the Golf and see if that could be in the running. If I recall the Golf is coming due for a refresh. Is it migrating to the MQB architecture or already on it?

Trying to maintain an open mind and get ideas so I can start checking around when the time comes nearer.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote:Rob, I'll pay attention to your thoughts on the Golf and see if that could be in the running. If I recall the Golf is coming due for a refresh. Is it migrating to the MQB architecture or moving to it?

Trying to maintain an open mind and get ideas so I can start checking around when the time comes nearer.
Golf is one of the longest running models on MQB to my knowledge. Post-diesel gate for VW it's basically been a god send with good timing as I believe they are using it for EVERYTHING across the board.

Not sure if I'd recommend a Golf without a full disclaimer but that probably goes with any German car though I am really satisfied with the vehicle so far as a daily driver. Yes, it's been to the service center more then any other car I've experienced so far... Yes, it's had issues that probably should've never have been but I do really like the car, the look, and the functionality. I agree with Rob if they dropped this engine in the GSW I would've gotten it in a heart beat.

If Frankinbeans is looking new in 3 years time then I would definitely push him to the Impreza/Crosstrek combo if manual is a must and AWD is a "likely needed". I am a bit doubtful that Subaru will still have a Forester with a stick by then... I wouldn't buy an EJ engine second hand either personally. You really don't know how bad it was beaten on or worked up as how many WRX STI's does one see bone stock :shock:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Rob, I'll pay attention to your thoughts on the Golf and see if that could be in the running. If I recall the Golf is coming due for a refresh. Is it migrating to the MQB architecture or already on it?

excellent smithers :twisted: :lol:

MK7 Golf, GTI and Sportwagen are on the MQB chassis. 2015 was the first model year for this gen, but it was introduced in Europe a couple of years earlier. Most other current models we have stateside are on older chassis architecture. Jetta, Passat, Tiguan (not for long though!! :twisted: ) are running on relatively ancient chassis designs, not to mention aesthetic designs. They've refreshened these older models so they don't look too old. I believe the new Atlas runs on MQB though. They are refreshening the Golf models (Golf, GTI and GSW) for 2018 model year. Not sure what I think of the redesign, but at least it looks to have been well thought out...if eye could have a GSW 4motion SE (don't think it exists; had to get Alltrak SE last eye checked) for close to 20k, that would be killer. The 1.8 TSI engine is no slouch, even in the AWD wagen. 8)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Rob, I'll pay attention to your thoughts on the Golf and see if that could be in the running. If I recall the Golf is coming due for a refresh. Is it migrating to the MQB architecture or moving to it?

Golf is one of the longest running models on MQB to my knowledge. Post-diesel gate for VW it's basically been a god send with good timing as I believe they are using it for EVERYTHING across the board.

Not sure if I'd recommend a Golf without a full disclaimer but that probably goes with any German car though I am really satisfied with the vehicle so far as a daily driver. Yes, it's been to the service center more then any other car I've experienced so far... Yes, it's had issues that probably should've never have been but I do really like the car, the look, and the functionality. I agree with Rob if they dropped this engine in the GSW I would've gotten it in a heart beat.

If Frankinbeans is looking new in 3 years time then I would definitely push him to the Impreza/Crosstrek combo if manual is a must and AWD is a "likely needed". I am a bit doubtful that Subaru will still have a Forester with a stick by then... I wouldn't buy an EJ engine second hand either personally. You really don't know how bad it was beaten on or worked up as how many WRX STI's does one see bone stock :shock:
i've been lucky (i guess) that i haven't had many problems with my Golf. The EPiC (electronic power control) light comes on and the car stutters every 1-2 months, and the panoramic roof leaked at least once, but otherwise smooth sailing. They have documented what I reported about these issues, and supposedly are working on a (ECU software) fix for the EPC issue. as for the impreza/crosstrek proposition, unless they upgrade that engine (even more - as in change out the engine), or otherwise tank is okay with a weak engine, i'd pass on those models. i'd imagine the 2 litre in the mazda 3 would feel more potent than the 2 litre in the impreza/crosstrek...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:
Teamwork wrote:

1. Manual
3. Under $30k
4. Possibly AWD
5. Reasonbly reliable
Basic Subaru Impreza wagon/Crosstrek? Seems to check all the boxes above... 2nd hand def does help and could increase the list a bit but I would be thinking along the lines of Subaru WRX (/ STI) or Golf R which I'm not sure would be the epitome of reliability compared to the first choice.
what about forester premium manual?? i drove one and it was a hoot. tony owned one for a year or two. do wish you could get the turbo with a manual, but the 2.5i has decent punch and a nice soundtrack, IMO. regular impreza is okay, but to me the last gen model screamed econocar. no lowend torque and cheap feeling inside. of course i was driving a base sedan (that's all they had on the lot with a manual) and drove it back to back with the forester...

Manual Forester is a good car, but one has to like Subarus, or really got a good deal on one. It's pretty vanilla in its market and definitely not up there with the segment competition.

I don't regret owning mine, but I did only keep it for a year and a half or so. And it just didn't speak to me like most of my cars have. Add to that the penchant for burning oil and it's a 'meh'. The oil burning thing isn't really that big of a deal but it's a fact that happens to some, and I personally would have been more tolerant of it if the car was interesting somehow to make up for it.

That said, mine did not burn oil.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I am enjoying seeing the responses. It's really helping to open the eyes. Currently I'm enjoying the maximum thrust* in the Chrysler and wonder if a manual Challenger would be a safe bet. Kind of interested in a dirty noise before all cars start whirring aroumd likr food blenders.

Friend has a 5.0 Mustang amd I'm loathe to have the same car, much as I've wanted ome for years. I don't know much about Camaros except that the visibility is some of the worst I've experienced in a car, even just sitting at an autoshow, and I'd be umcomfortable driving it.

I don't really know of much else. Anything I'd think about has the internet reputation of being unreliable trash, whether earned or umearned is beside the point.

*I know there are more powerful cars out there, with much more thrusting potential, but as far as anything I've had, sending the power to all 4 corners when needed, I'm enjoying it greatly.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport