Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by theholycow »

Since we've got a man on the inside...
Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I'm a 2 time traitor now. Catching up to Rob.

Just picked up a 2017 300S.
Fickset
...you should convince the beancounters to offer it with an Amish gearbox, then we wouldn't be able to just assume tank's a traitor for getting that car.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Fun part is that my payments are roughly the same for 3x the car and I got a ton of rebates which ate up some negative equity that had accumulated.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Did you enjoy the negative equity? That description sounds like a formula for being very upside down for a very long time.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Since we've got a man on the inside...
Rope-Pusher wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I'm a 2 time traitor now. Catching up to Rob.

Just picked up a 2017 300S.
Fickset
...you should convince the beancounters to offer it with an Amish gearbox, then we wouldn't be able to just assume tank's a traitor for getting that car.
Yanno, they sell quite a few Amish Challengers, but mebbe that number would dip if the Charger could be Amish as well. Enough changes would have to be made to the Charger that they would need to recertify it for emissions and safety with the manual and they just aren't ready to pay for the changes AND the recertifications.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

I believe I proposed the idea also of a manual big body/RWD car in that of the Charger of 300. I guess Chevy kind of did it for a little with the SS but that moniker kind of just annoyed me and it didn't sell. No one wanted to buy a car that looked like a Malibu for $55,000+ (they didn't want to buy it in the G8 form which was much better looking either).

I proposed and became engaged on 03/05/17 hence the little activity here in the last few weeks. A lot of people want to know what that means for the GTI and I am honestly not so sure. This car for seating anymore plus 3 felt "euro small" to me and not what I have really become accustomed too. I guess compacts in general kind of became bloated and my '95 Corolla in it's day is probably less interior volume then a Yaris now at this point but this GTI kind of brings me back to actual small cars. Maybe it disguising it's actual volume well because it truly drives like a small car in a positive way where my KIA Forte Koup - drove like a bigger car in a negative way. The thing about my KIA albeit it having 2 doors, if you got into the rear, once you were back there it felt roomier then the GTI IMO. Might be mind tricks but in 2 years now (at the 4-5 year mark) I might seriously consider selling this thing or trading it in for something bigger.

Horrible timing for the Miata RF to come out and really woo me. The dream is fading because I'd never be able to sell my fiancée on having two new cars in the stable but she is very open to the idea of having an old weekend beater and a new car within reason. She wants me to continue being passionate about vehicles and manual though. She finds it interesting because of the rarity around here and finds it intriguing that people still drive it.

Flip up head lights NA Miata maybe?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Teamwork wrote:I believe I proposed the idea also of a manual big body/RWD car in that of the Charger of 300. I guess Chevy kind of did it for a little with the SS but that moniker kind of just annoyed me and it didn't sell. No one wanted to buy a car that looked like a Malibu for $55,000+ (they didn't want to buy it in the G8 form which was much better looking either).

I proposed and became engaged on 03/05/17 hence the little activity here in the last few weeks. A lot of people want to know what that means for the GTI and I am honestly not so sure. This car for seating anymore plus 3 felt "euro small" to me and not what I have really become accustomed too. I guess compacts in general kind of became bloated and my '95 Corolla in it's day is probably less interior volume then a Yaris now at this point but this GTI kind of brings me back to actual small cars. Maybe it disguising it's actual volume well because it truly drives like a small car in a positive way where my KIA Forte Koup - drove like a bigger car in a negative way. The thing about my KIA albeit it having 2 doors, if you got into the rear, once you were back there it felt roomier then the GTI IMO. Might be mind tricks but in 2 years now (at the 4-5 year mark) I might seriously consider selling this thing or trading it in for something bigger.

Horrible timing for the Miata RF to come out and really woo me. The dream is fading because I'd never be able to sell my fiancée on having two new cars in the stable but she is very open to the idea of having an old weekend beater and a new car within reason. She wants me to continue being passionate about vehicles and manual though. She finds it interesting because of the rarity around here and finds it intriguing that people still drive it.

Congrats on being engaged!

As for me, I'm going to purposefully put that off as long as possible, even though I'm 33 and my mom nags me relentlessly about wanting a grandchild.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:I believe I proposed the idea also of a manual big body/RWD car in that of the Charger of 300. I guess Chevy kind of did it for a little with the SS but that moniker kind of just annoyed me and it didn't sell. No one wanted to buy a car that looked like a Malibu for $55,000+ (they didn't want to buy it in the G8 form which was much better looking either).
yeah, SS never appealed to me either; sorry Six. :? i'll take a cts vsport manual though. yeah, i know it's smaller and less powerful.
CONGRATS!! :!: :D :twisted: :lol: 8) it's not mind tricks - the gti/golf is smaller in the back. i wish i got the sportwagen for the added storage space. rear seat is big enough for the few times i need to carry people in the back. i sat back there once when my sister drove home from a family gathering, and it was not as comfortable as expected. Passat FTW?? nix that, new audi a4 (or a5 sportback) ftw :!: :twisted: :D
yeah, i hear you bro. i'm digging them too, but can't justify getting one. i'd consider an NC PRHT (power retractable hard top) model for better value. if she has a more practical car with seating for kids etc., maybe you could have a miata as your daily. food for thought. :)
i'd try for an NC but consider settling for a garage queen NB. NA is too small and old for my tastes, but it is still a miata...
Last edited by potownrob on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:Congrats on being engaged!

As for me, I'm going to purposefully put that off as long as possible, even though I'm 33 and my mom nags me relentlessly about wanting a grandchild.
Ive had had that talk with her too. But then we found other ways to occupy our time.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

yeah, SS never appealed to me either; sorry Six. :? i'll take a cts vsport manual though. yeah, i know it's smaller and less powerful.
I wanted to really force myself to like it but even when I sat in it at the auto show when it was first introduced I pretty much knew it was doomed. Why? Because I literally could've of taken a nap in it and not have been bothered. It was off in the corner of Chevy's floor space and I'm pretty sure any non-enthusiast just thought it was another malibu. I don't want to knock it too hard because I still never have been in one and I honestly think I've might of seen 1 in real life in the wild.

I actually played around in cadillac's online builder last night and am quite intrigued by the options and packaging in the ATS/CTS. For the ATS stick in decent trims/packages seems possible.
CONGRATS!! :!: :D :twisted: :lol: 8) it's not mind tricks - the gti/golf is smaller in the back. i wish i got the sportwagen for the added storage space. rear seat is big enough for the few times i need to carry people in the back. i sat back there once when my sister drove home from a family gathering, and it was not as comfortable as expected. Passat FTW?? nix that, new audi a4 (or a5 sportback) ftw :!: :twisted: :D
If the 2 DR MK7 GTI wore the body "better" I think I would of opted for the 2 door... That was kind of the strange thing that the 4 door to my eyes looked better proportioned and the 2 door for this gen looked like a serious hack job (RIP). I thought the MK5-MK6 gens looked better in 2 door format though. I've utilized the hatch cargo area with the rear seats down and that's been fine and great but actually housing 3-4 people in this car hasn't been as friendly as I thought it would be.

Mazda 6 is literally 85% option with the Accord Sport at 15% with it's 3 color choices if I wanted to be "responsible" and avoid becoming a stick shift traitor.
yeah, i hear you bro. i'm digging them too, but can't justify getting one. i'd consider an NC PRHT (power retractable hard top) model for better value. if she has a more practical car with seating for kids etc., maybe you could have a miata as your daily. food for thought. :)
NC PRHT though to me felt like a misfire where this by the mid cycle refresh feels like it could be a serious consideration. It doesn't alter cargo capacity, it only adds about 100 lbs (to an already lighter body), and the initial thoughts is that it improves top up refinement noticeably from the soft top. The way it looks though to me is probably the biggest sell though of them all which is impressive.

From back in the day stories of mine "Mr. RSX Type S" is now "Mr. SS 1LE" and would be a anti-role model as he's milking what you referenced Rob. He's locked into this car for AT LEAST 4 years and has already been married for a year. There's no doubt in my mind that this car will be under his ownership with AT LEAST 1 child and it's probably the most impractical car I've ever been in- in my life. Like I literally think I could make better arguments to daily drive/start a family with a ND Miata over a Camaro SS 1 LE LOL. The car is a beast and a track weapon but this is probably one of the hardest cars I've ever been in to see out of, matters well not have a rear seat, and is on summer slicks (we live in NY).

i'd try for an NC but consider settling for a garage queen NB. NA is too small and old for my tastes, but it is still a miata...
If I was really going to inquire about getting a 2nd weekend beater I really would probably shoot for the NB. I probably like the NB exterior the best out of all 4 gen's now but the interior was probably the worst for me. I think the big problem for me is it looked too much like a Toyota interior but 2nd rate. I drove an NC when I ended up with the GTI. I think the NC gen for me was a good middle ground/all around. Wasn't against the exterior, was for the interior, and since I haven't driven an NB/NA the weight wasn't an issue for me. :D

Two cars that hurt the worst to walk away from was probably the Miata and the FRS. *sigh*
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I'm gonna wait until the snow stops before I go out there to clear it. What do you think,....is the end of April a safe bet?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I'm gonna wait until the snow stops before I go out there to clear it. What do you think,....is the end of April a safe bet?
I plowed for the state during a huge storm in May one year. I think it was 2003. I think we even had a few really nice weeks of summer-like weather before that storm. Now I don't assume much about snow until June.

I lost my wallet plowing that storm. I thought I lost it at a truck stop I visited for fuel and food. They had a huge snow pile into which I figured that wallet must have gotten plowed. It was late September when the pile finally disappeared and I finally gave up visiting that spot to look for it.

(Years later I found it in the mud in the company yard, devoid of the wad of cash I temporarily and unwisely carried in it during that storm; I can guess which other employee took the cash and defenestrated the wallet. At least I recovered my hilarious high school ID, with the photo still visible enough to laugh at. I expected to carry that thing in my wallet forever...high school was already a somewhat distant memory by the time I lost it. I now keep a digital copy of it.)

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

At a get-together with friends, we got to talking on the subject of driver's licenses and when each of our licenses were coming up for renewal.

I took out my wallet and looked at my license to check for the renewal date....and found that the face of my license was virtually blank.

A distant memory of going for a spontaneous swim months earlier crossed my mind. I guess it was better to find this out at my leisure than to present such a license to a police officer after being pulled over.

In these modern times we live in, I think the immediate concern after taking a spontaneous dip in a lake would turn toward the cell phone.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Is "spontaneous" in this instance synonymous with "accidental" or "involuntary?"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:Is "spontaneous" in this instance synonymous with "accidental" or "involuntary?"
I think spontaneous is a great word to use in this instance. It leaves it open to the imagination of the reader as to the myriad of ways that a person might spontaneously go swimming.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

It seems obvious to me that Rope unexpectedly met Ashley Graham and she asked if he'd like to go for a swim. The big question is: What went on after the swim? Image