Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

What's Next - Gasoline as a Transmission Fluid?
Mazda unveils plans for world's first compression ignition gasoline engine
The Japanese automaker, with an r&d budget a fraction of those of major peers, said in a statement  Tuesday it plans to sell cars from 2019 with compression ignition engines -- a type of cleaner, more fuel efficient gasoline engine that has eluded the likes of Daimler and General Motors.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017 ... -ane-daily

http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/rele ... 0808a.html
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I heard about that and am very curious.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I heard about that and am very curious.
You know there is really nothing new in this world, right?
http://papers.sae.org/780699/
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Do you suppose this will cause drivability problems for average schmucks who are unfamiliar with the characteristics of the new engine type? I'm no engineer and don't pretend to be one on tv. Is this another item to put on the wait and see list like the V8-6-4 or Honda's V6-4-3) that ended up being too far ahead of the available technology?

If it can work and work well I'd be willing to rock one.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Negst Forester

Prolly wont be able to gt them with camoflage tabe in production, right?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017080 ... over-spied
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:What's Next - Gasoline as a Transmission Fluid?
Mazda unveils plans for world's first compression ignition gasoline engine
The Japanese automaker, with an r&d budget a fraction of those of major peers, said in a statement  Tuesday it plans to sell cars from 2019 with compression ignition engines -- a type of cleaner, more fuel efficient gasoline engine that has eluded the likes of Daimler and General Motors.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017 ... -ane-daily

http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/rele ... 0808a.html
I knew this was coming, back when Direct Injection started to become a major player.
A proprietary combustion method called Spark Controlled Compression Ignition overcomes two issues that had impeded commercialization of compression ignition gasoline engines: maximizing the zone in which compression ignition is possible and achieving a seamless transition between compression ignition and spark ignition.
The good news: It'll still have spark when needed, like cold morning starting.
The bad news: Crap, you'll still have a damned electric ignition system...PLUS the complication of the new technology.

Compression ignition makes possible a super lean burn
How lean are we talking? Honda had very lean burn in the early 1990s, GM has had it occasionally, and I'm sure others too, but everyone had to give it up due to nitrogen oxide emissions...does this successfully avoid that issue?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

On the column shift vs. newfangled buttons issue: My mom's 2015 MKz has newfangled buttons stacked vertically near the already-confusing stereo/HVAC controls. Worse, the Start button is right there at the top of the stack too. The parking brake, if I remember correctly, is just below the ultra-confusing temperature control. What a fscking mess.

You guys know how I feel about this crap, that's just BEGGING for another spate of Unintended Acceleration crashes. I'm gonna be goddamn pissed if my mom crashes because she can't get the damned thing to obey her, or even figure out what she's supposed to do in a panic while needing to keep her eyes on the road. I'm not even sure I could...there is NOTHING that can be done by feel in that car, you have to take your eyes off the road for all of it. It's gonna be time to kick some marketing douchebag ass.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The Apprentice

MERCEDES ESTABLISHES APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM - from Autoline Daily
If you didn’t know it, there’s a shortage of qualified technicians to work on today’s vehicles. And as they get more complicated it’s going to shrink that number even further. That’s why automakers like Mercedes-Benz are offering new apprenticeship programs to get people interested in the field. Its 16-week training program will take place at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships and will cover the all basics of automotive repair, but will also focus on the fields of telematics, E-Mobility, diagnostic strategy and electrical fundamentals. It really is amazing to see how fast the automotive repair world is changing. It takes a ton of time and effort to become good at understanding today’s vehicles and it’s never ending. It’s damn near what it takes to become an engineer. And I’d be willing to bet a master certified Mercedes-Benz technician makes engineer-level money.

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/releas ... ns-affairs#
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

theholycow wrote:On the column shift vs. newfangled buttons issue: My mom's 2015 MKz has newfangled buttons stacked vertically near the already-confusing stereo/HVAC controls. Worse, the Start button is right there at the top of the stack too. The parking brake, if I remember correctly, is just below the ultra-confusing temperature control. What a fscking mess.

You guys know how I feel about this crap, that's just BEGGING for another spate of Unintended Acceleration crashes. I'm gonna be goddamn pissed if my mom crashes because she can't get the damned thing to obey her, or even figure out what she's supposed to do in a panic while needing to keep her eyes on the road. I'm not even sure I could...there is NOTHING that can be done by feel in that car, you have to take your eyes off the road for all of it. It's gonna be time to kick some marketing douchebag ass.
You know the button system in the MKC (I haven't looked in the sedan yet) would probably be fine if the buttons for things you will have to use most likely every time you drive - Drive, R, and Park had some sort of textile feedback to it. Also, putting the engine start/stop button right above Park and not even separated from all of this seems like a bad idea that could easily be fixed with placement.

Where the Terrain has it which is pretty much right underneath the HVAC I believe is just asking for an accident. I actually am really intrigued by the vehicle and pricing though of the MKC... For just under 40k it seems like it's very well equipped.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Just had a brief experience with a colleagues Chevy Bolt. This car is definitely an interesting bag of tricks but I have some questions and doubts about long term ownership. I think that I would highly consider this thing on a lease to "try out" though. My big question is mostly the fact that it apparently takes over 9 hours to go from a completely "dead battery" to full charge on a standard outlet. I don't even sleep 8 hours a night so that may be an issue. Also, there seems to be a lack of charging stations anywhere notable unless I'm missing something here... but shockingly my place of employment had 4 "fast charge spots". The thing is I feel like the same 4 cars are constantly in these spots (1 volt, 1 prius, and 2 Ford Fusion Energi).

The car itself reminds me of a Honda fit, small exterior but big interior. I think the aesthetics are good enough compared to what the new Prius look like...I wonder about the reliability of these things though when it's 6-7 years in the hole. Also, is this going to be like a laptop/cellphone battery where the EV range weakens and doesn't hold a charge as efficient when it ages? 230 mile trip range is definitely a great success though. It's eerie how the car at parking lot speeds is deathly silent. This is the type of car that I think actually needs "fake noise".

EDIT: The one good thing if this is the future of the industry is that I think balance in a car and weight distribution can be altered and better off in these type of vehicles. I liked the way this car behaved in real world experiences.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:Just had a brief experience with a colleagues Chevy Bolt. This car is definitely an interesting bag of tricks but I have some questions and doubts about long term ownership. I think that I would highly consider this thing on a lease to "try out" though. My big question is mostly the fact that it apparently takes over 9 hours to go from a completely "dead battery" to full charge on a standard outlet. I don't even sleep 8 hours a night so that may be an issue. Also, there seems to be a lack of charging stations anywhere notable unless I'm missing something here... but shockingly my place of employment had 4 "fast charge spots". The thing is I feel like the same 4 cars are constantly in these spots (1 volt, 1 prius, and 2 Ford Fusion Energi).

The car itself reminds me of a Honda fit, small exterior but big interior. I think the aesthetics are good enough compared to what the new Prius look like...I wonder about the reliability of these things though when it's 6-7 years in the hole. Also, is this going to be like a laptop/cellphone battery where the EV range weakens and doesn't hold a charge as efficient when it ages? 230 mile trip range is definitely a great success though. It's eerie how the car at parking lot speeds is deathly silent. This is the type of car that I think actually needs "fake noise".

EDIT: The one good thing if this is the future of the industry is that I think balance in a car and weight distribution can be altered and better off in these type of vehicles. I liked the way this car behaved in real world experiences.

seriously, unless you're hardcore about going full EV and willing to make the compromises you'll deal with at least in the near future, i'd go full on hybrid instead 8)

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

That was essentially my conclusion. The Bolt does seem like to be a great step in the right direction/advancement though. I can't get over the range limitation/anxiety though on these. I'm picturing myself wanting to drive upstate NY or really anywhere in the new England region (things I do, so it's relevant to my case) and I'm just questioning what happens when the charge runs out... I don't think charging stations are as readily available even in NY as they make it out to seem. Again my place of employment has 3-4 spots but I'm pretty sure those are taken everyday and I would hardly call this the norm. The only other place I typically see them at is at malls sometimes but that's basically it.

I could 100% see myself leasing a hybrid though in 3 years though. With my engagement an expiration date has more than likely been placed on daily driving a manual transmission vehicle. I don't have much hope for my fiancée to learn stick in that time to a comfortable level of Long Island driving.

Hybrid would be the way to go for me though but I totally don't want to sap all and any driving dynamics left. If I have to sacrifice that usability/functionality in space needs to improve from where I'm at.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote: I could 100% see myself leasing a hybrid though in 3 years though.
What are your motivations?
Are you looking to save the whales? (Collect the Entire Set!)
Are you looking at improved economics?
To cut your weekly operating expenses?
To reduce your overall cost of ownership?
Are you looking to appear to be more trendy?

Think about what you intend to use the vehicle for, how long that pattern of usage is likely to last, how much capital you want to tie-up, how much technological risk you are willing to accept, if you are comfortable buying an "Experienced" vehicle, If children are in the picture, if trailer-towing is a need, if both vehicles don't have to be up for out of town trips, if a sporty pretense is a priority, yada, yada, yada.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

What are your motivations?
Are you looking to save the whales? (Collect the Entire Set!)
Are you looking at improved economics?
To cut your weekly operating expenses?
To reduce your overall cost of ownership?
Are you looking to appear to be more trendy?
The bolded. Honestly aside from some times Sat/Sun it's been really hard to utilize my car as is. My daily grind commute in the AM/PM pretty much consists of speeds that don't break over 25 mph or me making it past 2nd gear for 13 miles. I'm looking to move even further out east probably within the next 2 years (maybe even less) so my one way commute will probably get even worse/longer then this. I spend most of my time Monday-Friday on major freeways that end up at speed levels slower then local roads. Clean pass for HOV lane could be a game changer for me too... it would/could definitely get utilized...

Thinking a bit out loud- would I miss my GTI? :twisted: