Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:
watkins wrote:Been there, done that. We collectively prefer the kayaks.

The canoe is also just too damn inconvenient to deal with. Its too wide to fit on my roof racks, so I either need to make extensions or continue to transport it on the trailer. We bring it out once a year for our major camping trip, and even then it gets in the way more than it gets used.
Does the dog come along in the kayak? I'm thinking that might be too tight space-wise for a dog. Between the GF and I we have two large dogs, so I'm not sure that a kayak can work.
Yeah he does come on. We don't generally do deep water stuff with him though because he does get a bit antsy at times. He prefers sandbanks and shallow water where we can paddle around and he can jump between the two boats or run along beside.

In the canoe he just moves around too much and stability is more of a challenge.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I guess I'm just gonna rent a canoe come this spring and try it out with the two dogs and what not. I'll see how it goes.

I did measure the longest wall in my apartment, though, and a 16' canoe would be a tight fit, so I'm not even sure I want to deal with that. I might just rent a canoe as I need it, unless that becomes too frequent of a want where it gets prohibitively more expensive than just buying one.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:I guess I'm just gonna rent a canoe come this spring and try it out with the two dogs and what not. I'll see how it goes.

I did measure the longest wall in my apartment, though, and a 16' canoe would be a tight fit, so I'm not even sure I want to deal with that. I might just rent a canoe as I need it, unless that becomes too frequent of a want where it gets prohibitively more expensive than just buying one.
is there anywhere you might be able to acquire lake rights or dockage for a canoe or kayak? my sister's old condo community had a lake and she had lake rights which included being able to leave her kayak near the beach. it did get vandalized at least once though. i think she still has it there (and still is on the board), despite no longer owning a condo there. :?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Just saw it in half. Hot glue it together whenever you want to use it. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Just saw it in half. Hot glue it together whenever you want to use it. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:
don't b so stupid. Glue won't hold two halves of a canoe together.

Haven't you learned anything from watching tv?

You send for some of that tape the guy used to put the two halves of his boat together with.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:Just saw it in half. Hot glue it together whenever you want to use it. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

You send for some of that tape the guy used to put the two halves of his boat together with.
dew ewe mean duck tape?? eye fink dat vill vork. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:

dew ewe mean duck tape?? eye fink dat vill vork. 8)
If it works for ducks, who am I to argue?

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:{"Flex Tape" video}
:lol: That's exactly what I've been thinking of this whole time.

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Happy New Year Standard Shift - I'll section all of my life updates... most of them being pretty bad.

VW GTI - It's actually broken. Not broken enough to not drive but my gauge cluster is a Christmas tree. Error messages from MIB are reading "Error: ESC / Error: TPMS System". ESC definitely is not working as the roads have been treacherous. Tire pressure in all the tires are a consistent 36 PSI but I had a feeling it was a system error and not an actual TPMS low tire message. To make matters worse I schedule an appointment with my VW service center on a Saturday... everything is fine and I explained what the issue with the car was. I literally a get a call back 2 days from the appointment and another service rep says they only do oil changes / state inspections on Saturdays... I was like okay... They apparently only diagnose "check engine lights" from 7:30 - 2:00 PM's during the week... considering I work a full time job from 8 to 6 I guess I'm going to have to drop the car off overnight. Interested to see how this pans out I'm dropping the car off on Wednesday night and picking it up Thursday night- the car is still under warranty but I bet you they spin it that I broke the car. My trump card is that this literally all happened before the snow in NY... and literally the scheduled appointment (original one) was done before that.

Work - So I ended up taking all of my days off at the end of last year. It was really annoying honestly but it worked out- I essentially for the last two months of the year never worked a full 5 day week. The problem is I acquired new portfolios at work and now the capacity level is very unreasonable. I doubt I'm being a baby about it but I've been working 40+ hours in 4 day weeks. I don't really take lunches away from my desk anymore and I've overall just been very stressed out. I don't really know how to explain it but the ask of me has accelerated greatly and I'm nervous because I really need a good job because the expenses of the wedding are building up. I really don't know whats going to happen because I'm new in the role and trying to learn functions and have literally no work/life balance. I'm dedicated but this is almost too much for me...

Teeth - I ended 2017 with a really bad tooth ache. I don't really get tooth aches so I knew I probably did great damage- it was really out of the blue it wasn't like I had any face trauma. Ended up needing a root canal on one tooth. I never had one before so this was quite an experience. I didn't realize it was such a big step process with multiple visits. I'm on visit 2 out of 3 and am having it finish up next week with a crown. I am really scared to see the bill for this but I have been told by my dentist I have a "decent" dental plan and should be utilizing 3 cleanings for free a year. I wish someone told me this from my job haha..

Other - The snow on Long Island was probably 10-12 inches on Thursday night. Pretty great timing for my ESC to go out though it didn't really hinder me at all I would still like the safety net. In hindsight now I've really felt like I've come along way with manual transmission. I was really such a nervous person in my first year but now I just prefer it. I'm about to drive the GTI back to Atlantic City at the end of this month and that is the longest consecutive distance I've ever driven with it. I kind of feel nervous that this car isn't going to be for me though for the long haul. Besides the fact that I've had some weird issues with it inside 3 years I think I'm honestly going to have to downgrade and scale back my vehicle to make sacrifices here for expenses else where. In the end I really love my fiancee and I would give up things that I really enjoy if it meant us having a better life. I don't know how I'm ever going to live going back to halogen headlights and non heated seats though :)

Hope all is well with everyone- I heard this forum is getting an update? Having this little rant has helped me.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:Happy New Year Standard Shift - I'll section all of my life updates... most of them being pretty bad.
uh oh... :shock:
VW GTI - It's actually broken. Not broken enough to not drive but my gauge cluster is a Christmas tree. Error messages from MIB are reading "Error: ESC / Error: TPMS System". ESC definitely is not working as the roads have been treacherous. Tire pressure in all the tires are a consistent 36 PSI but I had a feeling it was a system error and not an actual TPMS low tire message. To make matters worse I schedule an appointment with my VW service center on a Saturday... everything is fine and I explained what the issue with the car was. I literally a get a call back 2 days from the appointment and another service rep says they only do oil changes / state inspections on Saturdays... I was like okay... They apparently only diagnose "check engine lights" from 7:30 - 2:00 PM's during the week... considering I work a full time job from 8 to 6 I guess I'm going to have to drop the car off overnight. Interested to see how this pans out I'm dropping the car off on Wednesday night and picking it up Thursday night- the car is still under warranty but I bet you they spin it that I broke the car. My trump card is that this literally all happened before the snow in NY... and literally the scheduled appointment (original one) was done before that.
that sucks bro. at least it's just the ESC system and nothing major...
Work - So I ended up taking all of my days off at the end of last year. It was really annoying honestly but it worked out- I essentially for the last two months of the year never worked a full 5 day week. The problem is I acquired new portfolios at work and now the capacity level is very unreasonable. I doubt I'm being a baby about it but I've been working 40+ hours in 4 day weeks. I don't really take lunches away from my desk anymore and I've overall just been very stressed out. I don't really know how to explain it but the ask of me has accelerated greatly and I'm nervous because I really need a good job because the expenses of the wedding are building up. I really don't know whats going to happen because I'm new in the role and trying to learn functions and have literally no work/life balance. I'm dedicated but this is almost too much for me...
sorry to hear bro. stress sucks. winter's supposed to be relaxed, etc.
Teeth - I ended 2017 with a really bad tooth ache. I don't really get tooth aches so I knew I probably did great damage- it was really out of the blue it wasn't like I had any face trauma. Ended up needing a root canal on one tooth. I never had one before so this was quite an experience. I didn't realize it was such a big step process with multiple visits. I'm on visit 2 out of 3 and am having it finish up next week with a crown. I am really scared to see the bill for this but I have been told by my dentist I have a "decent" dental plan and should be utilizing 3 cleanings for free a year. I wish someone told me this from my job haha..
hate tooth issues. haven't been to dentist in a few years. afraid to go. haven't had a toothache in the past year or two though...
Other - The snow on Long Island was probably 10-12 inches on Thursday night. Pretty great timing for my ESC to go out though it didn't really hinder me at all I would still like the safety net. In hindsight now I've really felt like I've come along way with manual transmission. I was really such a nervous person in my first year but now I just prefer it. I'm about to drive the GTI back to Atlantic City at the end of this month and that is the longest consecutive distance I've ever driven with it. I kind of feel nervous that this car isn't going to be for me though for the long haul. Besides the fact that I've had some weird issues with it inside 3 years I think I'm honestly going to have to downgrade and scale back my vehicle to make sacrifices here for expenses else where. In the end I really love my fiancee and I would give up things that I really enjoy if it meant us having a better life. I don't know how I'm ever going to live going back to halogen headlights and non heated seats though :)
you'll get used to it. fahgleitz and powerful bulbs to the rescue. what kind of car would you be getting that doesn't have heated seats though?!? :evil: :?: :? :o :idea:
Hope all is well with everyone- I heard this forum is getting an update? Having this little rant has helped me.
first eye'm hearing of the update. thought we were updated a few years back. are tony and watkins finally becoming mods?? :twisted: :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Teamwork wrote:VW GTI - It's actually broken. Not broken enough to not drive but my gauge cluster is a Christmas tree. Error messages from MIB are reading "Error: ESC / Error: TPMS System". ESC definitely is not working as the roads have been treacherous. Tire pressure in all the tires are a consistent 36 PSI but I had a feeling it was a system error and not an actual TPMS low tire message.
Sounds like a malfunction in the ABS. ESC is built on ABS. TPMS, on cars that don't use tire pressure sensors in the wheels, uses ABS too (differing pressure results in differing wheel speeds, so the wheel speed sensors are used).

Have you checked all your fuses? It could be as simple as a blown ABS fuse, though I'd wonder why the fuse blew of course.

Of course it could be something more serious like a broken wire, a failed wheel speed sensor, or a failing hub/bearing. It would be tough to pin the blame on you, but dealear warranty departments are experts at pinning blame!

On a VW forum you can probably find a local person who has a VCDS (aka VAG-COM) that can pull your ABS codes. If you are friends with someone who is a mechanic (or a hobbyist who spends a lot of money on diagnostic equipment) you might be able to use a non-VW-specific scanner. Once you have the codes you might get a pretty useful idea of what you're dealing with (but don't take code descriptions at face value, and be sure to write down/look up the code numbers themselves).
literally no work/life balance. I'm dedicated but this is almost too much for me...
As long as you deliver results, they'll keep piling on more. You have to decide how much you're willing to do (or, conversely, how much you truly need them to be happy with you) and, apart from isolated temporary incidents, draw the line and stand firm. 40+ hours in 4-day weeks without lunch away from the desk isn't horrible (and should certainly not cause "literally no work/life balance") but it's not great. I'd prefer it over the same hours in 5-day weeks though. If you're full-time then they're expecting no fewer than 40 hours per week from you anyway.

How much time is spent on your commute?
I don't know how I'm ever going to live going back to halogen headlights and non heated seats though :)
You could scale back but still select for the features that matter to you.

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Sounds like a malfunction in the ABS. ESC is built on ABS. TPMS, on cars that don't use tire pressure sensors in the wheels, uses ABS too (differing pressure results in differing wheel speeds, so the wheel speed sensors are used).

Have you checked all your fuses? It could be as simple as a blown ABS fuse, though I'd wonder why the fuse blew of course.

Of course it could be something more serious like a broken wire, a failed wheel speed sensor, or a failing hub/bearing. It would be tough to pin the blame on you, but dealear warranty departments are experts at pinning blame!

On a VW forum you can probably find a local person who has a VCDS (aka VAG-COM) that can pull your ABS codes. If you are friends with someone who is a mechanic (or a hobbyist who spends a lot of money on diagnostic equipment) you might be able to use a non-VW-specific scanner. Once you have the codes you might get a pretty useful idea of what you're dealing with (but don't take code descriptions at face value, and be sure to write down/look up the code numbers themselves).
that sucks bro. at least it's just the ESC system and nothing major...
I checked the fuses and the battery and everything seemed to be in fine working order. I literally proceeded to the tires where this ordering may seem "out of order" but it was literally near 0 F outside at the time when this started. I had my tires changed and an alignment done back in November but this was awhile ago now and don't think it has anything to do with that as the car had been fine for many months. I do have to say though this check engine, Christmas tree dashboard life isn't for me. I've been spoiled... I'm thinking it definitely has to do with wheel sensor/abs sensor on one of the wheels. The funny thing is before all the snow is when this started occurring but I'm sure they will blame the snow and force me to pay out of pocket.
As long as you deliver results, they'll keep piling on more. You have to decide how much you're willing to do (or, conversely, how much you truly need them to be happy with you) and, apart from isolated temporary incidents, draw the line and stand firm. 40+ hours in 4-day weeks without lunch away from the desk isn't horrible (and should certainly not cause "literally no work/life balance") but it's not great. I'd prefer it over the same hours in 5-day weeks though. If you're full-time then they're expecting no fewer than 40 hours per week from you anyway.

How much time is spent on your commute?
This is essentially how my fiancee feels and honestly 40 hours in 4 days isn't bad but I may of mis-typed... I'm literally working over 40 hours in 4 days in a 45-48 ball park. I'm pretty worn out- I'm no stranger to hours in the 50-55 a week range but this is a bit different because it's constant work without a break type of ordeal. There's really no slow moments at all- I know that'll sound exaggerated a bit but it is what it is. Commute is a bit rough though do-able to me. I can tell you how Cow how it's only 12 miles each way but during LI rush hour that translates to about a 50-1 hour drive each way. I leave my house at 7:15 AM to get in just past 8 AM and then leave at 6 PM to get home around 7 PM.

By the time this week ends it should be fairly interesting to see where I'm at with the car and morale.
You could scale back but still select for the features that matter to you.
you'll get used to it. fahgleitz and powerful bulbs to the rescue. what kind of car would you be getting that doesn't have heated seats though?!? :evil: :?: :? :o :idea:
Not necessarily which kind of annoys me but I'm probably being a beggar that can't be a chooser. I don't think the heated seats are as universal as one things yet and HID's from the factory are definitely near un-get-table at a sub 30k range. I play this game with myself every so often every year where I basically try convincing myself I can just buy a subcompact out right and just deal with it and get rid of a car payment. What will happen is I will find a problem with every subcompact and then be able to settle on a car in essentially the same price range as I'm in now lol... Can't have the cake and eat it too.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Picked up a new laptop the other day, but I must say that I fully admit that it's a bit of an overkill for me and for what I do. I wanted an upgrade from my perfectly functional but somewhat aging dual core with integrated graphics, but I'm afraid I went a little too far. I do perform photo editing but it doesn't really require a 1060-level card and I don't do any video editing and little gaming. Although my PS4 did shit the bed last month and I'm contemplating not getting another console and laptop gaming with this machine.

8th gen i7 Quad Core, awesome display, GTX 1060 dedicated graphics and a fast SSD. All in what is currently the most powerful 2-in-1 on the market.

I'm going to give it a go for the next week or so, but I'm really waiting what Dell comes out with. They are supposed to be refreshing their XPS 15 this month and I'd be curious to see what they have; should be cheaper than what I'm currently using, so I might switch and go with that.

Got 30 days to decide if I want to keep this beast.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

AHTOXA wrote:Picked up a new laptop the other day, but I must say that I fully admit that it's a bit of an overkill for me and for what I do. I wanted an upgrade from my perfectly functional but somewhat aging dual core with integrated graphics, but I'm afraid I went a little too far. I do perform photo editing but it doesn't really require a 1060-level card and I don't do any video editing and little gaming. Although my PS4 did shit the bed last month and I'm contemplating not getting another console and laptop gaming with this machine.

8th gen i7 Quad Core, awesome display, GTX 1060 dedicated graphics and a fast SSD. All in what is currently the most powerful 2-in-1 on the market.

I'm going to give it a go for the next week or so, but I'm really waiting what Dell comes out with. They are supposed to be refreshing their XPS 15 this month and I'd be curious to see what they have; should be cheaper than what I'm currently using, so I might switch and go with that.

I'm at a GTX 1070 in my desktop rig so that isn't too far off from me in a laptop configuration. From the specs described this seems pretty serious... what brand?

The problem that I have with laptops across the board is that no matter what brand, OS... as soon as 4-5 years pass they get pretty run down and there's typically no room to upgrade off of it. I've been building off my basic desktop rig for 8+ years now and every 2 years I give it a pretty good once over with parts. It's why I usually just get frustrated with anything that isn't a work laptop and such.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Teamwork wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Picked up a new laptop the other day, but I must say that I fully admit that it's a bit of an overkill for me and for what I do. I wanted an upgrade from my perfectly functional but somewhat aging dual core with integrated graphics, but I'm afraid I went a little too far. I do perform photo editing but it doesn't really require a 1060-level card and I don't do any video editing and little gaming. Although my PS4 did shit the bed last month and I'm contemplating not getting another console and laptop gaming with this machine.

I'm at a GTX 1070 in my desktop rig so that isn't too far off from me in a laptop configuration. From the specs described this seems pretty serious... what brand?

The problem that I have with laptops across the board is that no matter what brand, OS... as soon as 4-5 years pass they get pretty run down and there's typically no room to upgrade off of it. I've been building off my basic desktop rig for 8+ years now and every 2 years I give it a pretty good once over with parts. It's why I usually just get frustrated with anything that isn't a work laptop and such.
It's the Microsoft Surface Book 2 in the 15" variety that has just come out at the end of 2017.

I thought pretty hard about having a desktop rig set up, and honestly, for the $$$$ MS SB2 costs, I can have a very good desktop rig that will blow this laptop out of the water at probably 3/4 of the price. But, I don't want a desktop rig - I don't have a use for it. I want portability and mobility.

You're absolutely right in griping about lack of upgradeability. This is actually one of the reasons why I may return this unit and purchase the 2018 Dell XPS 15 once it actually comes out (supposed to announce this month) SB2 is not upgradeable, where XPS is expected to be, given that their 15" lines are all currently RAM and SSD upgradeable.

I wanted to try out the SB2 and see if I'll use the tablet function of it, which is quite neat where the screen detaches off base and you still have the quad core and integrated graphics to work with (the 1060 is in the base). If I find myself over the next two weeks not really caring about the tablet function, I'll almost surely go to XPS and save myself $500 or so with similar or same specs.

Another point that I wanted to experience for myself is whether a top shelf laptop really makes sense from a practical perspective. The cost of entry is extremely high, and to your point, hardware ages faster without too many options to upgrade, so the value proposition suffers compared to desktops. On the other hand, the 'value' also must include philosophy of use into consideration, because if you need/want a portable solution, no matter how cheap and good, a desktop doesn't have much value.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650