Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:Come to think of it, the single-DIN unit bouncing around in my yard plow truck that was given to me by a friend, half-ass wired in and just sitting loosely in the huge hole where the OEM radio died, might be an Eclipse. Seems to work ok enough to keep me in music while plowing my snow. No idea how old it is.
coulda bin. they were more popular in the 90s and early 2000s. i always used kenwood or pioneer decks, preferably the highend models (excelon or premier). later i had a clarion deck in my impreza wagon (was cheap and had HD radio built in!!). was no wheres as good, powerful or customizable as any of the kenwood excelon decks i had had before. have a newer excelon deck buried somewhere in my basement that was going to go into the jetta, but then i sold the jetta...i even paid extra for the weird proprietary VW adaptor. the golf has too good a stereo (plus it has the backup camera and menu built in) to replace with that, plus i probably won't keep it too much longer.
Rope-Pusher wrote:
Teamwork wrote:I knew about Eclipse decks (yeah I am going to call them that) but I only used Kenwood in my youth. Really have nothing bad to say either the single/double din units honestly are probably better then some of the crap they have in mainstream cars today.

I'm pretty sad that it's so difficult to go aftermarket on stereo and speakers. I go through car builders a lot just for the fun of it and it's getting ridiculous how an audio upgrade for the vehicle is either: A) on a top level trim / B) roped in a package that's expensive with a bunch of other crap that's questionable on the want list. All a part of the game I suppose... would love if it could be a la carte. The one thing I really enjoyed about the marketing with my GTI for 2015 was that I could get bi-xenon + a performance package a la carte on a base level trim- fairly priced IMO too. Even if they packaged those two things together I probably (and most) would be okay with it...
Back in days of olde, there was actually a lawsuit against carmakers requiring them to offer a radio-delete option for those who were installing their own audio systems and didn't want to pay for the factory system just to then have to riop it out and pitch it. Really, dealers were the muscle behind the lawsuit - they were making big money ordering the vehicles without and then installing sound systems on their own. Radio-delete pkg came with wiring for power and speakers and the antenna. Just needed to install speakers, "deck" and amp(s) yourself. They could equip the vehicle to the level that a particular customer wanted, but on the low-priced side of things the sound systems they installed were worse than what the factory installed, especially with respect to FM tuning and reception. In these modern thymes we live in, sound systems are integrated with vehicle system controls and styled uniquely for a given vehicle. Aftermarket sound system suppliers have to be hurting.
there has to be a way to add an in-line amp to boost the power. it's gonna be a big headache on a VW, but it can be done. there are also ways to replace the whole headunit, but i wouldn't do that on one of these touchscreen VWs (see above reply to cow). to boot, newer OEM stereos are WAY better than the ones we had even 10 years ago. more power, better EQ and adjustability, better speakers, etc. if you play around with the adjustments a little, you can optimize the sound. you may not be able to blast it without drama like i can (to a point) with my fender setup, but you should be able to get decent sound at reasonable volume levels.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Image
you may not be able to blast it without drama like i can (to a point) with my fender setup, but you should be able to get decent sound at reasonable volume levels.
Fickset

I think that fender setup is neater than the roof-mounted systems I've seen

Or the combo-systems

Or the hidden sub-woofer that blows pedestrians out of your way
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
potownrob wrote: Image
you may not be able to blast it without drama like i can (to a point) with my fender setup, but you should be able to get decent sound at reasonable volume levels.
Fickset

I think that fender setup is neater than the roof-mounted systems I've seen

Or the combo-systems

Or the hidden sub-woofer that blows pedestrians out of your way
Where are the guitars??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote: to boot, newer OEM stereos are WAY better than the ones we had even 10 years ago. more power, better EQ and adjustability, better speakers, etc. if you play around with the adjustments a little, you can optimize the sound. you may not be able to blast it without drama like i can (to a point) with my fender setup, but you should be able to get decent sound at reasonable volume levels.
I had a full on system upgrade in my '95 Corolla which basically was a single din deck, replaced front/rear speakers with an external amplifier, and 2 10'' subs and I am convinced that I will never even come remotely close to that level of quality again. OEM stereos maybe have improved but they do not suffice. My KIA didn't (nor did it have an audio upgrade for that generation either) and the VW doesn't (though the Fender audio upgrade I quite enjoyed). Same politics pulled me away though... I didn't want to have to get leather seating and a sunroof in order to upgrade my audio quality. I simply can not stand when something like this can't be a la carte or at least packaged with relevant items.

Side note: I was reading an old thread here back in 2008 about "how to chirp tires shifting to 2nd gear". Only name I recognized was Watkins but pretty funny how there were legitimate fights in the thread. P.S. - I never have chirped tires I guess and still don't really understand how too.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:

Side note: I was reading an old thread here back in 2008 about "how to chirp tires shifting to 2nd gear". Only name I recognized was Watkins but pretty funny how there were legitimate fights in the thread. P.S. - I never have chirped tires I guess and still don't really understand how too.
As Paul Simon Sang "There must be 50 ways to chirp your tires"
The problem is all under the hood, she said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you get your tires to spin free
There must be fifty ways to chirp your tires
She said it's really not my habit to intrude
For the more I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
So I repeat myself, at the risk of being rude
There must be fifty ways to chirp your tires, fifty ways to chirp your tires
Just stand on the pedal, Grettle, make a hole shot, Snot
Don't need to be smooth, Ruth, Just listen to me
Hop on the gas, Gus, don't need to discuss much
Just pop out the clutch, Drudge, and set your rubber free
Just slam it up a gear, Dear, make a hard shicht, _itch
Don't need to be slow, Flo, just listen to me,......
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Oh your musical renditions, Rope. They always crack me up.

I've chirped quite by accident a number of times.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote: to boot, newer OEM stereos are WAY better than the ones we had even 10 years ago. more power, better EQ and adjustability, better speakers, etc. if you play around with the adjustments a little, you can optimize the sound. you may not be able to blast it without drama like i can (to a point) with my fender setup, but you should be able to get decent sound at reasonable volume levels.
I had a full on system upgrade in my '95 Corolla which basically was a single din deck, replaced front/rear speakers with an external amplifier, and 2 10'' subs and I am convinced that I will never even come remotely close to that level of quality again. OEM stereos maybe have improved but they do not suffice. My KIA didn't (nor did it have an audio upgrade for that generation either) and the VW doesn't (though the Fender audio upgrade I quite enjoyed). Same politics pulled me away though... I didn't want to have to get leather seating and a sunroof in order to upgrade my audio quality. I simply can not stand when something like this can't be a la carte or at least packaged with relevant items.

haha, link to that thread?? I hopefully would've said "get a maxima" :lol:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey Tony....good day to go kayaking in Texas?
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, that really wasn't "Our Finest Moment".
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Wow, that really wasn't "Our Finest Moment".
Haha, only name I recognized really was watkins but I couldn't even believe how confrontational it got. This was on a "recommended threads" for some reason for my log in lol- randomly.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:Oh your musical renditions, Rope. They always crack me up.
Well, it was either that, or pictures of birdhouses and birdfeeders made from tires, right?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Houston, YOU'VE got a problem!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ah, back when the ss was the SS!! :twisted: :( :cry: :lol:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Image
Houston, YOU'VE got a problem!
on that note, haven't heard from tony lately... :shock: :o :? :cry:

edit: keep forgetting tony's not in or near houston. houston gets slammed in all of these storms (get the heck out of houston and stay out); dallas usually does at least ok. too lazy to check the news... :)

edit 2: looks like dallas is in the clear again...
http://google.org/crisismap/2017-harvey