Phil's '95 VW Golf Sport VR6 (Update: exhaust clip!)

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Pardon the ignorance, but what camera are you using, are you a professional photographer, and when/how did you get that front license plate?
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 VW Golf

Post by pmacutay »

Camera: Canon PowerShot G7. It's a little point-and-shoot that offers fully manual control, an Image Stabilized 6x zoom lens, and a range of nifty little features.

For those night shots at the top of the post, I used my friend's Canon EOS 400D (aka the Rebel XTi here in the US).

I'm 19, and as such my current career consists of being a waiter at the local Johnny Rockets, and not of photography. :P
My dad was a professional photographer at one point, however, so I do pick up a few tips and tricks (and equipment) from him.

Thank you, though, for asking. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, haha. :D

The front license plate I got shortly after I took those first sets of pictures, and I bought it through europeanplates.com. However, DO NOT BUY from them because they were horrible and it took a PayPal Dispute to even get them to ship my plate (it came in nearly a month later). If you look around you can find places that do it for cheaper and actually ship on time (I hear Mattman Enterprises does a good job).
95 VR6 Golf Sport
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

Is it legal to drive round with those German plates? Or would it be too much of a police magnet?
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

blauenlanze wrote:Is it legal to drive round with those German plates? Or would it be too much of a police magnet?
Nope, it's not legal.

I've been through DUI checkpoints with that plate on the front and they haven't said anything about it though.

I was making a right on red, and there were two motorcycle cops in the left turn lane on the street I was turning into. They both looked at my front license plate, and them being motorcycle cops, I thought for sure I was gonna get pulled over or something. It would've been easy for them. But no, the one closest to me just kinda nodded his head at me and they just went back to looking forward. *shrug*

YMMV in your own district, because I know of some places (specifically LA and Pasadena) where I've heard stories of people actually getting ticketed for having non-standard front license plates (this includes having your california plate in your dash, and not on your front bumper.)

Technically, it's illegal to not have a front license plate in California as well, so my car was already illegal before I got the German plate. Again, cops haven't given me anything, but it is not a guarantee that they won't give me crap about it in the future. Supposedly it's just a fix-it ticket (which will kind of suck for me, because I actually DON'T have a front plate, my friend lost it before he sold the car to me), just like tint.

Come to think of it, my friend's been driving his '69 nova around for the past 5 years without a front license plate.

The bottom line is, from my experience, most of the time cops have better things to do and they just won't care, but this doesn't prevent them from doing something about it if they feel like it.

Since my car most likely attracts police attention, with its exhaust and HIDs (yes i'm planning to retrofit projectors in. don't throw stuff at me!! :P) and all, I already make a conscious effort to drive within the law.
The way I see it, they need some probable cause to make a stop, and I don't want to give them any more than my car already does.

Though, the exhaust is within legal sound limits according to Magnaflow. And plus, it doesn't scream ricer with their annoying buzzing fartcan sounds. It's got a smooth throaty, almost reserved sound to it.
95 VR6 Golf Sport
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

that is a dank vdub

nice pics
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

the "On Ward" shot looks like a TopGear desktop :)
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

Bumped for shots of new gauge faces. :)
95 VR6 Golf Sport
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Love the new gauges, pmacutay! :D
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Nice, man.

I'm just a week away from ordering lowering springs for mine. I'm going factory lowering spring to drop me one inch, no more. I'm either gonna smoke or shave the front side markers, tint the windows and smoke the headlights. That's it, unless I find a smoking deal on rims that I want. I want some BBSs but ones I want are expensive.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Nice. I couldn't help but chuckle at the fuel gauge, it says 1/1 instead of full. :lol:
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

It says that on the stock gauge too.

I always wondered why they bothered to do that instead of putting an F...

I think BMW's do it as well, maybe it's a german thing? *shrug*
95 VR6 Golf Sport
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

Because American's aren't good with numbers?

I have somebody in a VW Golf with European plates also. I think its the same Letter/Number or similar to his NY plate, and I think he puts his NY plate on the front bumper too. I'll have to take a picture of it next time I see it.
What'cha gonna do when we come for you?
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

bump for interior lighting pics :D
95 VR6 Golf Sport
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

My dome light is just red tint on the inside of the clear plastic.

I do have red taillamp LEDs on the way, as well as a LED dome lamp in red (so I can remove the tint, and have the dome look completely stock when off and light up red)

I'm thinking of doing a complete LED overhaul on my turns as well, so all my exterior lighting will be LED (save the headlights, of course).

I like how crisply they flash on those newer cars, and I think it'd be neat to have a 90s stock-looking car but with that crisp LED light look when the car's lit up and driving around.
95 VR6 Golf Sport
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

One of these days I'm gonna learn how to make circuit boards and do a rectangular grid of LEDs, and do a sequential turn signal so it lights from the inside outward, like a wave of light, and fades and does it again.

I always dreamed of having sequential turns on my car :P
95 VR6 Golf Sport