Driving Skills Quiz

All the news that's fit to shift.
IMBoring25

Re: Driving Skills Quiz

Post by IMBoring25 »

The giveaway on the foglight question was indeed that not all cars have fog lights. I have one car with fog lights, and it will allow me to turn them on with the parking lights only, with the low beams, or with the high beams.

As a practical matter, in fog, I use the highest beams that don't reduce sight distance due to the fog reflecting the beam back. Unless it's pretty wimpy fog, that will never be high beams. In practice, low beams are appropriate a great percentage of the time, even in cars with fog lights. Fog lights alone are appropriate where they increase sight distance because the low beams still reflect back.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

MeatProduct wrote:
jomotopia wrote: by blocking the intersection they mean still being in it when your light turns red and the cross traffic gets a green. you can enter an intersection on green, and still be there when the light turns red, as long as you can then immediately clear the intersection. the problem is when you enter an intersection on green, light turns red, and you still can't clear the intersection. then the people with the green light can not go. this is very bad and people turning left and doing this at a particular intersection piss me off to no end every morning on my way to work.
Wow, that's a dick move. I had no idea people did that... or could legally do that, anywhere.

So does that mean that at these intersections in DC I can go ahead assert meself into the intersection on green, provided I can clear it when it turns red?
i don't think it's technically legal. but due to the delay between one direction turning red and the other turning green, it's not a big deal if where you're going to is clear. and around here (Atlanta) you won't get pulled over or looked at twice for doing it. though when i do it in my tiny little home town people look at me like i'm crazy. but don't stick yourself into the intersection unless the other side of it wherever you're going has room for you to clear the intersection.

turning left i and most other drivers around here will pull into the middle of the intersection to wait for an opening. if you can't make the turn while the light is green, then when it turns red and oncoming traffic stops, you can go and clear the intersection before the other direction turns green. i think it actually helps traffic flow a little better. but if the street you're turning on to is backed up to the intersection and you can't clear it after the light turns red, that's when it's a dick move.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

80%

You may cross a double solid yellow line:
Your answer: Under no conditions.
Correct answer: To turn into a business or driveway.
-huh??!!

When you are merging onto the highway, you should:
Your answer: Stop and wait for an opening in the traffic.
Correct answer: Enter at or near the same speed as the traffic on the freeway.
-I knew this didn't sound right but none of them sounded right

A warning sign is usually what color and shape?
Your answer: Red circle with white lettering or symbols.
Correct answer: Yellow diamond shape with black lettering or symbols.
-they're both warning signs to me (red or yellow)

You may legally block an intersection:
Your answer: If you have entered the intersection on a green light.
Correct answer: Under no circumstances.
-whoops!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

potownrob wrote:You may cross a double solid yellow line:
Your answer: Under no conditions.
Correct answer: To turn into a business or driveway.
-huh??!!
Left turn across traffic. Annoying option because most of the time theres either gaps in the line or a center turn lane.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

I had this one rubbed in on me on the way home this morning. Driving down the road with solid double yellow line for miles and houses and businesses all along the way :lol: :oops: :roll: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I got a 90, got both of the yellow line ones wrong (the 'turning into a business' one is painfully obvious once you see the right answer :x ) Apparently the average in MI is 83, but I think in my area it's closer to 10 or 15. Then again, most of the bad drivers in my area are fresh off the boat and don't have licenses.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

i have foglights, and on stock probes they are wired to only work when the dims are on. nothing a piece of wire and 10 minutes of soldering cant change, now i can have my fogs on anytime the ignition is on, i pretty much leave them on the whole time unless its a clear day outside, but when it starts getting darker, fogs are getting turned on.

also with the fogs, i dont need to have the headlights up on the highway. probe was the most aerodynamic car ford made until they made the ford GT.

and driving in thick fog with just the foglights on does make a difference. we had real thick fog last year, i mean like schools closed, highway closed, you could see maybe 20 yards in front of you kind of fog. especially driving at night in the fog, the headlights, even the low beams bouced right off the fog and back into my face (windshield tint would be handy) and i was pretty much blinded. with just the foglights on, i could see the 20 yards in front of me. i could see even better with all lights off because even the fogs being less than a foot of the ground still bounced back in my eyes, but when fog is that thick, your headlights and taillings are there to let other cars see your lights before they see your car. you would see someones tails or headlights at about 40 yards, then their car at 20 yards. with lights off, 20 yards visibility is guaranteed accidents everywhere
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

There's a reason the schools and highways were closed...because it was TOO DANGEROUS TO DRIVE!!! WTF were you doing driving your Probe in that?
Last edited by theholycow on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Schools close for snow too because driving is dangerous. Thats when many of us SS members head out for some fun.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

schools close when the side streets are not plowed, they dont want kids slipping and falling and suing the school for injuries on the way to the school bus, and they dont want to drive the buses on the unplowed streets

thats when driving is most fun, and for the fog, i had to go somewhere, weather doesnt matter. if i stretch my arm out and cant see my hand, thats when its unsafe to be driving
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
alfredjp
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: WRX STI 2008

Post by alfredjp »

jomotopia wrote:based on US driving laws: http://moneycentral.msn.com/quiz/drivin ... /home.aspx

i got a 95.

i like the averages at the end:
The average score for your state is: 81
The average score for men is: 83
The average score for women is: 78
^^ it says most states require an 80 or better to get a license :roll:
im from Japan (and drive on the "wrong" side of the road), but usually travel to CA about once/twice-a-year for a couple of weeks under an International Driver's Permit...

i got 85, and im from the 25 to 34 age group...

currently reviewing where i made a mistake...

--- Update---

10. If a police officer believes that you are driving under the influence:
Your answer: None of the above.
Correct answer: You can refuse to be tested but will face stiff penalties for doing so.

11. You may use a center turn lane:
Your answer: As a travel lane to pass other vehicles.
Correct answer: To make a left turn onto another street, road or driveway.

18. When driving in fog, you should use your:
Your answer: Fog lights only.
Correct answer: Low beams.
- drives a WRX STi 2008 JDM
- got his license in Nov 2007
- wanting to become a better StandardShifter
Trev
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Jetta 00'

Post by Trev »

Mine:
*Age=20
You scored: 90

How you compare
The average score for your state is 80
The average score for men is 83
The average score for women is 78

I missed the slowing down as you are being passed and the drinking one.
shadowmelder
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Challenger SRT

Post by shadowmelder »

I got 90, yay!
You may use a center turn lane:
Your Answer: As a travel lane to pass other vehicles.
Right Answer: To make a left turn onto another street, road or driveway.
Can someone explain to me this question? The way I understand it is that you're allowed turning left in the middle lane of a 3-lane road, which doesn't seem to make sense.

The other I got wrong was crossing a double yellow line; I said never.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

shadowmelder wrote:
You may use a center turn lane:
Your Answer: As a travel lane to pass other vehicles.
Right Answer: To make a left turn onto another street, road or driveway.
Can someone explain to me this question?
"Center turn lane" is the lane in the center that is NOT a travel lane. It is lined like this:

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

Solid, broken, lane, broken, solid. The lines are yellow. Its only purpose is for you to have a place to wait for traffic to clear while making a left turn, without holding up traffic in the travel lane to your right. Traffic in both directions is allowed to use it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
shadowmelder
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Challenger SRT

Post by shadowmelder »

theholycow wrote:Its only purpose is for you to have a place to wait for traffic to clear while making a left turn, without holding up traffic in the travel lane to your right. Traffic in both directions is allowed to use it.
Ah, OK. Now I know what they meant. Thanks for explaining it.