The Taurus SHO lives again!

All the news that's fit to shift.
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Ford Fusion SEL V6

Re: The Taurus SHO lives again!

Post by DrNick »

If they stick this drivetrain in a Fusion or MS6, they damn well better offer it with a stick.
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DrNick »

It also has to do with the target market. Ford's overseas operations have manual transmissions in their larger sedans (case in point: Australia), because manuals are the norm around those parts. Around here, sticks have more of an enthusiast following. Being a larger car, the SHO will be less of an enthusiast vehicle and more of a peppy grocery-getter or family transporter. Mrs. Soccer Mom or Mr. Golfer wouldn't be inclined to row their own gears.

Overall, I don't think it's a matter of cost cutting as much as it is targeting the correct demographics in order to maximize profits. A high-performance MS6 or Fusion will almost certainly be an enthusiast car that would actually make sense with a manual.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Mrs Soccer and Mr Golfer should stick to leser Taurus. The SHO should cater to enthusiast who needs a sedan and should have a stick.

I hope the SHO engine doesn't make it in the Speed6. Big engine = big radiator, big subframe, big brakes, big suspension = more weight. I want the Speed6 to be a sports car with a turbocharge 4, not a tugboat with a big engine.
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DrNick »

scionkid wrote:Mrs Soccer and Mr Golfer should stick to leser Taurus.
I completely agree, but that's not the American way. A family sedan shouldn't need more than 200 or so horsepower/torque. The Europeans have that right, which is why you can consistently see their sedans having smaller, more efficient engines. I personally never though I'd see a Toyota Camry with 268hp/248 ft.lb torque. It just isn't necessary for what that car is. The regular 2010 Taurus has a similar engine to the Camry, but I'm sure that plenty of buyers will shell out for the SHO.

I don't know, this is all just opinion, let's see what happens when the Taurus and the SHO finally hit the market.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

It's just like using a .50 BMG M82 sniper rifle instead of using a M4 with a scope.

Overkill, you don't need it unless you're shooting from extreme range or need that extra destructive capability. Against people an M4 with a scope would usually suffice.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

30-30? Don't you mean 30-06? M1 Garand?

What rifles use 30-30?
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Damn that goes to show how much I know about firearms. :(

Why nobody use those two NATO cartridges, I thought those would be the most popular.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

I thought .45 was better because it has more stopping power? At least, that's what some people argue.