manual does rule

All the news that's fit to shift.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: manual does rule

Post by FDSpirit »

Maybe someone here can answer this one. When I changed the tranny fluid on my car, we obviously had to jack the car up. We needed to use a piece of 2x4 to raise it high enough to get to the drain/refill bolts. Then my car started honking loud as hell. My car doesn't have an installed alarm, just keyless entry. It took about 10 minutes to find my keys, which were in my pockets the whole time :lol: . Anyway, wtf is it?
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Was it going "Honk! Honk! Honk!" or just "Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonk!!"?

One long honk tells me a wire shorted out from frame twist that resulted from your jacking.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Definitely multiple honking. I don't have an owners manual with the car, so I don't know what it is. I'm guessing it is some kind of anti-theft thing, but I've never encountered something like it.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Did you accidentally hit the button on the key while in your pocket? I do that from time to time.
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

FDSpirit wrote:Definitely multiple honking. I don't have an owners manual with the car, so I don't know what it is. I'm guessing it is some kind of anti-theft thing, but I've never encountered something like it.
Movement sensor maybe?
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

That's the opposite of what I'd have expected. Many cars have tilt sensors on them, so that if the alarm starts going off from the car being jostled, but then one end of the car gets lifted a significant amount, the alarm shuts off because the computer assumes you're just getting towed for parking like an asshole.*

* - I learned this from Twins, that glorious 80's comedy starring Ahhnold and Danny DeVito.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

exactly. thunderstorms the other night set off car alarms.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

paul34 wrote:...or explosives wired into your car are far more useful. unfortunately, the latter is illegal.
I've been thinking of wiring a tear gas grenade to an alarm system. :lol:
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

I'd think it would be a tilt sensor. The panic button for my car is really recessed, and I wasn't the one lifting the car. I was standing up, making sure nothing went wrong.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

paul34 wrote:Never knew that, but I also find car alarms extremely annoying and stupid, as well as 90% useless. No one listens to them, they generally just go off when not needed, and the only time they're useful is when your car is parked outside your house and it goes off. But it has to be good, otherwise you're just going to ignore it and go back to sleep. And even if you do see someone breaking into your car, what are you going to do? Go outside with a sharp stick?

something like lo jack, or explosives wired into your car are far more useful. unfortunately, the latter is illegal.
Put a massive-ass amp in your trunk, and a giant speaker which, the moment the alarm is triggered, will play a clip of a woman screaming hysterically at, oh, around 100 decibels.
I'll bet you that one won't be taken lightly...
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

paul34 wrote: something like lo jack,
My friend's dad is the executive chairman of LoJack.
Hes one of my favorite secondary fathers (most of my friends and I refer each others parents as mom and dad).

http://people.forbes.com/profile/richard-t-riley/49999
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

Put a massive-ass amp in your trunk, and a giant speaker which, the moment the alarm is triggered, will play a clip of a woman screaming hysterically at, oh, around 100 decibels.
christian finnegan, a comedian said that a good idea would be to hook it up to a huge speaker in your trunk and when it goes off it blares "WOOOOO WOOOOO WOOOOO. FREE BAGS OF WEED, FREE BAGS OF WEED HERE" it might not attract the type of people that you would want to help you, but it would be people nonetheless
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

LHOswald wrote:christian finnegan, a comedian said that a good idea would be to hook it up to a huge speaker in your trunk and when it goes off it blares "WOOOOO WOOOOO WOOOOO. FREE BAGS OF WEED, FREE BAGS OF WEED HERE" it might not attract the type of people that you would want to help you, but it would be people nonetheless
People like Tinton and Coljessip.Image
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

LHOswald wrote:
christian finnegan, a comedian said that a good idea would be to hook it up to a huge speaker in your trunk and when it goes off it blares "WOOOOO WOOOOO WOOOOO. FREE BAGS OF WEED, FREE BAGS OF WEED HERE" it might not attract the type of people that you would want to help you, but it would be people nonetheless
"WOOOO WOOOOO WOOOO. HOT VIRGINS WITH NO INHIBITIONS, RIGHT HERE"...
Every single male within ten miles would run like hell to get there as fast as they could.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

comingbackdown wrote:"WOOOO WOOOOO WOOOO. HOT VIRGINS WITH NO INHIBITIONS, RIGHT HERE"...
Every single 13-18 year old male within ten miles would run like hell to get there as fast as they could.
Fix'd