All the news that's fit to shift.
Charles421
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe, 6MT

The SEVEN SPEED Manual

Post by Charles421 »

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1065 ... rises-here
On the new Porsche 911:

Hmm.... I like my 6 speed, I could see the 7th speed for highway. My concern would be having to downshift from 7 > 6 to maintain pace on slight grades where as a normal 6th gear wouldn't have issues.
2011 BMW E92 335i: Le Mans Blue, M Sport, 6MT w/ CDV Mod, BMW Performance Exhaust + Style 269 19" Wheels
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Re: The SEVEN SPEED Manual

Post by RITmusic2k »

I'm fully in support of this as a concept, but I think that to be implemented properly they'd need to incorporate a push-thru detent in the H-gate similar to what they'd have on the R position. You should be able to push the stick to the upper right hand corner and know for a fact that the transmission will slide into 5th gear, not 5th or 7th.

Design it to be more of a 6+1 speed, where you have to actively engage 'Cruise' gear, and I'm sold.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I think anything more than 6 forward gears is overkill and unnecessary. A properly engineered 6-speed can have short enough ratios to keep the engine in an excellent rpm range, while still offering a low enough highway cruising rpm to return acceptable fuel economy.

I don't think we'll see many other manufacturers follow with 7-speed manuals in the future. That's my prediction/opinion.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

7-speeds are coming, but only for "special purpose" vehicles.

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Do want! After having a close ratio vehicle that really needed wide ratios and a wide ratio vehicle that could benefit from close ratios (but not at the expense of total range) I can really appreciate the way it delivers more things to more people. If you don't like shifting and can't be arsed to downshift, fine, don't use 7th... Why leave a fuel economy or acceleration (depending on how it's ratioed) improvement idea unused?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

theholycow wrote:Do want! After having a close ratio vehicle that really needed wide ratios and a wide ratio vehicle that could benefit from close ratios (but not at the expense of total range) I can really appreciate the way it delivers more things to more people. If you don't like shifting and can't be arsed to downshift, fine, don't use 7th... Why leave a fuel economy or acceleration (depending on how it's ratioed) improvement idea unused?
Using that logic, maybe we should all petition for a 12-speed manual trans.

At some point, too many forward gears just becomes silly. IMO, 7 speeds is borderline silly already.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Here ya go...

scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Shadow wrote:
theholycow wrote:Do want! After having a close ratio vehicle that really needed wide ratios and a wide ratio vehicle that could benefit from close ratios (but not at the expense of total range) I can really appreciate the way it delivers more things to more people. If you don't like shifting and can't be arsed to downshift, fine, don't use 7th... Why leave a fuel economy or acceleration (depending on how it's ratioed) improvement idea unused?
Using that logic, maybe we should all petition for a 12-speed manual trans.

At some point, too many forward gears just becomes silly. IMO, 7 speeds is borderline silly already.
7 speed in a Porsche is an ovekill. That car has power to spare. But when I had my box with a 1.5L engine pulling 3000lbs uphill, I wish I had a wide ratio 8 speed. With engines getting smaller to achieve fuel efficiency goals,& cars getting bigger to fit American butts, 10 speeds or more maybe necessary in the future. Chrysler has been working on a 9 speed auto.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

scionkid wrote:
7 speed in a Porsche is an ovekill. That car has power to spare. But when I had my box with a 1.5L engine pulling 3000lbs uphill, I wish I had a wide ratio 8 speed. With engines getting smaller to achieve fuel efficiency goals,& cars getting bigger to fit American butts, 10 speeds or more maybe necessary in the future. Chrysler has been working on a 9 speed auto.
Well, the concept of adding gears is usually two-fold: First, it allows a closer ratios, which tends to help keep the revs closer to the "sweet spot". Secondly, it allows lower revs in top gear, which is good for fuel economy. But still, I agree that it is overkill in the Porsche.

Not only am I opposed to increasing the number of gears in a manual trans (beyond the normal six), but I also don't find any enjoyment in driving an automatic with a lot of gears. I drove the automatic version of my Audi (which is an 8-speed) and it really sucked. The thing was constantly shifting and never seemed settled. Overall it seemed to work okay, but trust me when I say that it offers zero driving enjoyment. The 4-speed automatic in my 4Runner is much more satisfying to drive.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I think it would be pretty fun to have a 7-speed. You have the "standard" six gears for normal driving, and in the most opportune of situations, a 7th gear to lazily cruise down the interstate on a Sunday afternoon... Just think of it as another Reverse gear, except reversed, in both direction and ratio... as something you switch into when needed, but disregard at all other times.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Like 6 said, I'm not looking for an 8 speed to shift every day.I just want 2 low gears for the occasional steep hill launches, when fully loaded. Also, one more gear above the usual 5th would be nice.That makes 8 gears, with 2 that I wouldn't use very often
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

My 88 Honda Civic RT4WD had an SL (superlow) gear. It was to the left of first, redlined at like 20km/h, but good for getting out of a rut.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica