Cars.com American Made list

All the news that's fit to shift.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Cars.com American Made list

Post by Squint »

Cars.com's American-Made Index rates vehicles built and bought in the U.S. Factors include sales, where the car's parts come from and whether the car is assembled in the U.S. We disqualify models with a domestic parts content rating below 75 percent, models built exclusively outside the U.S. or models soon to be discontinued without a U.S.-built successor.
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp ... f=national
The Toyota Camry topped this year's American-Made Index, extending its No. 1 status to four years running. Ford's F-150 landed by a photo-finish at No. 2, falling behind the Camry by fewer than two days of sales. The F-150 was once a common AMI leader, topping the index from 2006 to 2008, but lower domestic parts content had dropped the best-selling pickup off the list. With its domestic parts content back to 75 percent — up from 60 percent last year — the F-150 returns to the AMI for 2012.
The balance of "domestic" vs "foreign" companies is interesting. This new list was just released yesterday.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Cars.com American Made list

Post by Shadow »

It's interesting that four out of the top five vehicles on the list are Japanese nameplates.

But yeah, the line between American and foreign vehicles has been blurring for MANY years now.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:It's interesting that four out of the top five vehicles on the list are Japanese nameplates.

But yeah, the line between American and foreign vehicles has been blurring for MANY years now.
And yet I think there was something in that article that stated something like 23% of people buy "American" brands just for loyalty and because they think they are supporting American companies.. that's the part that just causes me to facepalm
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:because they think they are supporting American companies..
Supporting American companies is not the same as supporting American manufacturing...though I have no idea which is better for the economy.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote:
Shadow wrote:It's interesting that four out of the top five vehicles on the list are Japanese nameplates.

And yet I think there was something in that article that stated something like 23% of people buy "American" brands just for loyalty and because they think they are supporting American companies.. that's the part that just causes me to facepalm
I know people who refuse to buy a car if it's not from one of America's Big Three. It doesn't matter to them where the car is actually assembled...they just feel better driving a car if it has a GM, Ford, or Chrysler badge on it. Personally, I buy whatever car appeals to me most. Right now, that's a German car that was made in Germany and a Japanese SUV that was made it Japan.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Years ago I swore off domestic vehicles after terrible reliability ordeals with a late 80s cavalier and an early 90s Taurus. For many years I have only driven Japanese imports but times have changed and it's been a while since I have thought any less of a domestic manufacturer. Now, the car itself appeals to me rather than a badge.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:Years ago I swore off domestic vehicles after terrible reliability ordeals....
Same thing with my mom. She used to buy nothing but GM products. Now she won't buy anything that's not Japanese.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

My lineage of cars go all over the place. My first car was a Mazda built in America. Second, a Mazda built in Japan. Third, a Ford built in Canada. And now, an Acura built in America. My next car (hopefully) will be a Cadillac built in America.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

six wrote:My lineage of cars go all over the place. My first car was a Mazda built in America. Second, a Mazda built in Japan. Third, a Ford built in Canada. And now, an Acura built in America. My next car (hopefully) will be a Cadillac built in America.
CTS-V? :twisted:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

theholycow wrote:CTS-V? :twisted:
YES :twisted: