U.S. Customers who Prefer Manual Transmission Over Automatic

All the news that's fit to shift.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

U.S. Customers who Prefer Manual Transmission Over Automatic

Post by Standardshifter »

Lots of content re-use from other articles, but still good to see:

"Based on the data published by USA Today in the middle of 2012, manual transmission cars are coming back as a trend. "

"Here are the the figures with the corresponding years:

2012 – 6.5% (Based on first quarter data of the year only)
2011 – 3.8%
2010 – 3.9%"

http://www.benzinsider.com/2013/01/u-s- ... nsmission/
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: U.S. Customers who Prefer Manual Transmission Over Autom

Post by Squint »

Without reading the article (at work), I would guess that enthusiasts and people getting smaller cars for the good fuel economy would be the cause of the rise. Or, that could just be why I got the Fiesta. :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I believe that buying a manual for gas savings has been a moot point for a while. Now with autos being 6,7 and even 8-speed, the manual trans offers little in terms of saving gas over an auto trans in the same model of car.

However, I see more and more compacts and sub-compact cars on the road. In addition, the compact and subcompact class is no longer the penalty box, cheap transport only, which it was a number of years ago. Many sub compacts come well equipped even in base models and most models have a large number of higher-end options available at good value. This means that there are more people that are buying smaller sized cars, whereas before they were forced to buy a bigger car, just because they wanted options you couldn't get in a cheap tin-can. With that, a few of those people realized that driving a small car with a manual can be rather rewarding vs. driving a bigger car with a manual - more agile, more engaging, etc. So, those who wouldn't care for manual in an Altima, may actually opt for a manual in a Sentra.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I know you're only using it as an example, but even if you wanted a manual with an Altima, you haven't been able to do so for years. It only comes with one of Nissan's ridiculous CVTs.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yep, I was aware and used it simply as an example. Whichever manufacturer came to find first kind of deal.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

AHTOXA, there's a blog post out there that touches on the rise of the subcompact class. Just posted it now in Manual in the News...
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

In all honesty, I wouldn't call it a trend. 2012 seems more like a blip to me. It's good news, but until we see a few years of higher percentages, I'd hesitate to call it a trend. It would be great if we see 15% or more in the next 3 or 4 years.

(Wishful thinking......yes, I know it won't happen) :P
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

The last time we checked, there were only a handful cars that Mercedes-Benz offers in the U.S. nowadays that runs on a manual stick, and that includes the SLK250. Mercedes-Benz used to offer manual types like the SLK300 and C300 in the past but it did not fare well in the market due to the increasing demand for automatics that time.
I was thinking, that is one luxury company that offers little to no sticks in their lineup. I am assuming Lincoln is the same way.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm growing more and more attached to my manual every day, now that I have one with a more sorted transmission. The Kia was nice, but dammit that 4th gear drove me nuts, not going into the whole story but suffice it to say that I had issues and was always blamed even though I've never had similar issues in other cars.

Clifford is a sweet little rig and really easy to drive. There's the intermittent driver error issue, too much gas, not enough gas, badly timed rev-match, but otherwise very bueno.

As for CVT(SM)s Continuously Variable Transmission(Sewing Machine)s, ugh. My friend finally ditched his Sentra in favor of Clifford's twin brother Bubu because he couldn't stand that thing. It was noisy and kind of pointless. All I have to say is I won't drive one of those until I have no other option.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

IMO, CVT is the worst automotive invention ever. Absolutely despise them and will never own one! :lol:
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote:IMO, CVT is the worst automotive invention ever. Absolutely despise them and will never own one! :lol:
Now that is something we can agree on! Image
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...