Micro Car With A Stick Shift

All the news that's fit to shift.
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Micro Car With A Stick Shift

Post by Bill B »

Most cars of the Hybrid/Plug in variety do not offer a manual transmission. I read somewhere that the Smart car could not offer a stick, because it was so small that there was not room for a clutch pedal. Check out this new micro car called the Elio. You can get this one with a 5 speed. Link:
http://www.eliomotors.com/
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Micro Car With A Stick Shift

Post by Shadow »

Bill B wrote:Most cars of the Hybrid/Plug in variety do not offer a manual transmission. I read somewhere that the Smart car could not offer a stick, because it was so small that there was not room for a clutch pedal. Check out this new micro car called the Elio. You can get this one with a 5 speed. Link:

I have a hard time believing that a clutch pedal can't fit into a smart car. I mean, how tight is the footwell? A clutch pedal doesn't take up all that much space. Ironically, the transmission in a smart car is actually a Borg Warner automated manual.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

if a clutch pedal cann fit that means there is no space for the left foot either. If there was no space for left foot, no one wouod buy that car. There is always space for a clutch pedal.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Bill B wrote:Most cars of the Hybrid/Plug in variety do not offer a manual transmission. I read somewhere that the Smart car could not offer a stick, because it was so small that there was not room for a clutch pedal. Check out this new micro car called the Elio. You can get this one with a 5 speed. Link:
That's an interesting idea. There was another company a couple of years ago that came out with a 3 wheeler design, but I'm drawing a blank on the name. They ran into funding problems if memory serves.

And it is neither a hybrid nor a plug in, just a small 70 HP motor. How many people can it seat, though?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Squint wrote:That's an interesting idea. There was another company a couple of years ago that came out with a 3 wheeler design, but I'm drawing a blank on the name. They ran into funding problems if memory serves.

And it is neither a hybrid nor a plug in, just a small 70 HP motor. How many people can it seat, though?
Looks like it's a single-seater, just like the Corbin Sparrow to which I believe you're referring.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

IMBoring25 wrote:
Squint wrote:That's an interesting idea. There was another company a couple of years ago that came out with a 3 wheeler design, but I'm drawing a blank on the name. They ran into funding problems if memory serves.

Looks like it's a single-seater, just like the Corbin Sparrow to which I believe you're referring.
After some googling, I found my misplaced name! The Aptera. Check out this wikipedia article. The company finally folded in December 2011.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

I did read that about no room for the clutch pedal, but I guess you cannot believe everything you read on the internet. Here is a link to a discussion on the Smart forums about the transmission. http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums ... sion-1046/

There was another 3 wheel vehicle made in China called the Snyder that comes in a 5 speed. The Elio looks to be of better build quality, but you really cannot tell just from the photos.

AHTOXA wrote:if a clutch pedal cann fit that means there is no space for the left foot either. If there was no space for left foot, no one wouod buy that car. There is always space for a clutch pedal.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.