4onthefloor's new wheels

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
IMBoring25

Re: 4onthefloor's new wheels

Post by IMBoring25 »

Heated windshield is not a new idea. It was offered as an option on my sedan that's about to turn 26. Mine is not so equipped. It was expensive and it plays havoc with GPS units, anything pertaining to radar, and turnpike pass readers.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

IMBoring25 wrote:Heated windshield is not a new idea. It was offered as an option on my sedan that's about to turn 26. Mine is not so equipped. It was expensive and it plays havoc with GPS units, anything pertaining to radar, and turnpike pass readers.
I can understand why they might be expensive (at least compared to the current option), but I don't understand why they might interfere with the other things listed. For example, this cited website about Electrical and Magnetic Fields says that power lines don't have enough power to significantly affect GPS units, and a single electrical resistance line isn't carrying nearly the same amount of electricity as power lines. This pdf also backs up that claim. I don't know a ton about the subject, but it seems that at least for GPS, that interference would be so marginal that it can be discounted.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:I can understand why they might be expensive (at least compared to the current option), but I don't understand why they might interfere with the other things listed. For example, this cited website about Electrical and Magnetic Fields says that power lines don't have enough power to significantly affect GPS units, and a single electrical resistance line isn't carrying nearly the same amount of electricity as power lines. This pdf also backs up that claim. I don't know a ton about the subject, but it seems that at least for GPS, that interference would be so marginal that it can be discounted.
It might not be an EMF issue, it might be a conductance issue. Perhaps the glass doesn't allow the signal to pass because of a layer that doesn't transmit it well. GPS is as much about line-of-sight to the satellites as it is about traditional EMF noise interference...sure, the signals can pass through metal or concrete sometimes, but sometimes not so much and sometimes something that passes visible light may not pass GPS signal so well.

For whoever understand this stuff better than me, here's the info about the frequencies used:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Po ... requencies
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
Squint wrote:I can understand why they might be expensive (at least compared to the current option), but I don't understand why they might interfere with the other things listed. For example, this cited website about Electrical and Magnetic Fields says that power lines don't have enough power to significantly affect GPS units, and a single electrical resistance line isn't carrying nearly the same amount of electricity as power lines. This pdf also backs up that claim. I don't know a ton about the subject, but it seems that at least for GPS, that interference would be so marginal that it can be discounted.
It might not be an EMF issue, it might be a conductance issue. Perhaps the glass doesn't allow the signal to pass because of a layer that doesn't transmit it well. GPS is as much about line-of-sight to the satellites as it is about traditional EMF noise interference...sure, the signals can pass through metal or concrete sometimes, but sometimes not so much and sometimes something that passes visible light may not pass GPS signal so well.

For whoever understand this stuff better than me, here's the info about the frequencies used:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Po ... requencies
But those signals all pass through our current windshields. I was just talking about a border line near the outside (perhaps an inch or so from the edge of the glass - that would probably be close enough to work for wipers on most cars, too) of the front windshield - not a whole windshield with electrical resistance heating lines.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Heated Front Glass? Bean Dare, Don Dat
The DW825 windshield had a gold film layer in the lamination. This was used as a 'Quick Defrost' or heated windshield. The backglass in these cars had the same set up. It was an option on the 1974-1976 Lincoln Mark series and the Ford Thunderbird.
These were discontinued for both OEM and aftermarket within a short period of time, and the price if you could find them became very expensive. The non-heated windshield version is a DW792.
The 'Quick-Defrost Rear Window and Windshield' option on the 1974 Mark IV was an additional $306.70.

http://www.glasslinks.com/trivia/trivia3.htm
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

Long time, no see.....been busy.

After 5 years of owning this car, I'm thinking it may be time to let it go. Currently entertaining the idea of getting a new WRX or maybe a Focus ST. It'll be hard to see this car go, but it might be in my best interest to get into something new.

We'll see what happens.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

F N Ewer knot two picky, go too Texas and get a good deal on a dented vehicle.
North Dallas dealers hammered by hail, damaging thousands of vehicles
Huffines said a lot of the cars will be discounted for sale and would be subject to “sizable discounts.”
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016032 ... f-vehicles
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter

Post by 4onthefloor »

Too bad the Canadian dollar sucks right now. I'd pay 20% more just in exchange rate alone.

Plus there are enough hail damaged cars up here I'm sure.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

4onthefloor wrote:Too bad the Canadian dollar sucks right now. I'd pay 20% more just in exchange rate alone.

Plus there are enough hail damaged cars up here I'm sure.
HAIL YEAH!

That was actually small hail they had in Texas lately - the big stuff gets tubey the sighs of a softball.
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter

Post by 4onthefloor »

Looks like I'm getting a 2017 WRX. I'll miss the hawkeye, but I've always wanted a WRX and can't justify the price of the older WRXs/STi.