Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Honest Engines

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Oh great, more overtime pay! I'll be able to afford to have my car repainted.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Nope. We are Chrysler's de facto sh*tstorm car dumping ground for the region. All I get to deal with is absurd problem car after absurd problem car. Oh, and Wrangler water leaks. Hopefully we might get a bit of cash work through the shop now that school is starting again.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Cooled EGR? Sounds like it will condense more crud into EGR passages, requiring more frequent cleaning.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Diesels have been doing it for years. The new medium duty 6.4L Hemi has the system as well. No problems thus far.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FORD FOCUS ARSE POWER NUMBERS
Step aside Subaru STi and Mitsubishi EVO cause there’s a new player in town and thy name be Focus RS. Ford just released the official power ratings for its new performance hatch and the results are pretty amazing. The engine puts out 350-horsepower at 6,000 RPM and 350 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,200 RPM. Peak turbo boost also comes in at a stout 23.2 p.s.i. If you’re as eager for the new RS as I am, you’ll be glad to know production kicks off later this year.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... Lb-Ft.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

“People think rotary can not meet modern eco demands. The SkyActiv engineers worked on rotary and have it cutting-edge tech,” Kiyoshi Fujiwara, Mazda’s head of research and development, told Autocar. “It is an essential part of our DNA, and it must be passed onto future engineers. It is synonymous with the brand. Sometime in the future it will return and be called SkyActiv-R.”

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ma ... z3purJ2eT6

Kiyoshi Fujiwara, Mazda’s r&d chief, said the team working on the rotary engine project is small but fiercely dedicated.

“These 50 engineers want to develop the rotary engine, therefore they joined Mazda,” Fujiwara said. “If I stop the rotary engine, probably they want to leave.”

allpar • 6 hours ago
Meanwhile, ten engineers at Isuzu are working on a carbureted engine. “They came here to work on carburetors, so we keep trying.”

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015102 ... news-daily
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon diesels first pickups to top 30 mpg on highway
GM pickups wrestle mileage crown from Ram EcoDiesel

NMGOM > 1guyin10 • 19 hours ago
Absolutely agree. I have a 2010 Nissan Frontier (rated 16/20), and although I routinely get 23-25 mph highway (55 mph, NOT 70!), I could go for the new Canyon diesel, PROVIDED IT IS OFFERED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. Did I mention it must have manual transmission?

=========================
William Fisher > NMGOM • 18 hours ago
REALLY? MANUAL? Not trying to be a smartass, but why? What does a manual do better than an automatic anymore?

OXI>William Fisher • 2 hours ago
Manual is better all around, auto's are for folks that are handicap or something...

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015110 ... -30-mpg-on
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I hate to say it, but the manual enthusiasts like Mr. Fisher don't help our cause. Why is it so hard to explain your preference and be done with it? I razz my friend because he now drives an auto, but he did the same to me when I went back into an auto. Those who have never learned how to drive a manual might legitimately just not know.

In any event, I'll believe GM's numbers when they're proven in the real world. My Grand Prix was theoretically capable of getting 21/31/25 (under the revised numbers), but I rarely saw above 18 in mixed driving. One time I got as low as 12 in moderate driving, not stomping but not babying it either.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Actually, it was OXI replying to Fisher that made the assertion that only handicapped people drove slush.

But hey, I went back to the Ford Focus RS post and read the Ford press release article:
" The unique EcoBoost® engine in the all-new Focus RS will produce 350 horsepower – far exceeding original estimates of 315 – along with 350 lb.-ft. torque.
And yet even with all that torque, the manual-only hot hatch will be especially forgiving in the event a driver stalls the engine, as Focus RS will debut with a trick feature called stall recovery. In other words, there will be no need for drivers to manually restart the engine or move the gear selector to neutral as the innovative technology allows the driver to simply push the clutch back in after a stall and the engine will restart.
“We knew we wanted to put start-stop technology on the RS,” explained Tyrone Johnson, engineering and vehicle manager, Ford Performance Europe. “So we said, ‘What if we went one step further, and controlled for engine stall at launch using the same technology?’ Well, that’s exactly what we did and it’s just as fast as our start-stop technology.”"

Yanno, it is kinda nice with Stop-start systems that they restart with just the push of the clutch pedal. Speaking of handicaps, I guess extending that feature to stall recovery was a no-brainer.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Now that's an automated feature I wouldn't mind having! Especially when I was learning...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Could you theoretically leave the car "running" for 5 minutes whilst going into the house for something, then drop the clutch and go? Or is there a timeframe within which to restart the engine?

With the keyless system a person has 10 seconds to restart the engine if they have shut it down, but don't have the key in the car.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you hopped out the window or out thru the roof it would work - is there a time limit? I dunno. It will do a restart on its own if the battery starts getting to too low of a charge.

Did I mention that openng a door stops the process?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Mazada sez: We Fart in the general direction of your Rotary Engine!"

Mazda joins turbo charge with CX-9's plush makeover

The engine, based upon the 2.5-liter engine used in the Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-5, packs 310 pounds-feet of torque and 250 hp, compared with 185 pounds-feet and 184 hp for the naturally aspirated version. The extra oomph, delivered by a turbocharger that adjusts exhaust pulsation based on the speed of the engine, gives Mazda a suitable powertrain for future high-performance cars.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015111 ... news-daily
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ROTARY RELEVANCE
Mazda is a company that marches to the beat of its own drum. And one of the ways that shows up is its pursuit of the rotary engine. So why is a relatively small car company pouring so much money and effort into an engine that has limited appeal? On last week’s Autoline After Hours we were joined by Robert Davis, the head of the company’s operations in the U.S. and he explained why that engine is important to the company.

Merry Christmas Noob!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Lutz and Fisker introduce new Viper-powered Force 1 supercar
Derived from the Viper SRT, it is powered by a 745 hp (556 kW) version of the Viper 8.4-L V10, packing a full 100 hp (75 kW) more than the production engine. And it is still naturally aspirated.

Claimed torque is 638 lb·ft/865 N·m vs. 600 lb·ft/813 N·m for the Viper SRT, which is scheduled for a 2017 model year phaseout. VLF claims the Force 1 can achieve 218 mph (349 kph) and 0-60 mph is listed as 3.0 s. The transmission choices are six-speed manual or paddle-shift automatic; suppliers have not yet been announced.
http://articles.sae.org/14569/

The car, which has an all carbon fiber body on a modified Viper chassis, will be produced at VLF's facility in Auburn Hills, MI, where an earlier design, the four-door Destino powered by a Corvette ZR-1 V8, is reportedly production ready. That model is built on an aluminum space frame and body.
Unfortunately, the Destino is only available with a slush-box.
It is based on the Fisker Karma, but without electric drivetrain, batteries, etc.
http://fortune.com/2014/11/13/bob-lutz- ... xury-auto/