Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: Image
There was this odd astronaut.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Aisle also say that when push comes to shove, when a vehicle is near to going down to a lower test weight class if only a little bit of wait savings could be had, that the fuel tank volume is determined in an effort to achive higher fuel economy ratings. It's like a boxer getting themselves dehydrated before weighing-in for a fight,
...well, now that you mention it, that could also be in play when some cars come without a spare, though it seems unlikely to be responsible for a whole lot of those situations.
except in this case, the amount of liquid is permanently reduced but the fighter can go drink and get rehydrated after the weigh-in.
"You're ugly!"
"Yeah? Well you're drunk!"
"True, but I'll be sober in the morning..."
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Aisle also say that when push comes to shove, when a vehicle is near to going down to a lower test weight class if only a little bit of wait savings could be had, that the fuel tank volume is determined in an effort to achive higher fuel economy ratings. It's like a boxer getting themselves dehydrated before weighing-in for a fight,
...well, now that you mention it, that could also be in play when some cars come without a spare, though it seems unlikely to be responsible for a whole lot of those situations.
and the fuel smileage ratings are rounded figures, so if you can get the number to round up higher, it could be worth the effort as well. 29.5 mpg and 30.4 mpg both look the same on the window sticker, even if one is actually 0.9 mpg higher.

....or another way to look at it is that 29.4 and 29.5 look to be 1 mpg different when you compare the window stickers.

...and really only $3.46 difference in yearly fuel spending if you consider 12,000 miles per year and $2.50 per gallon fuel cost.

...and the rounded number of 29 mpg and 30 mpg appear to suggest $34.48 yearly fuel cost differences.

...but psychologically, one is 20-something and the other is 30-something. To some people, that would suggest 20 mpg vs 30 mpg, which would be a difference of $500 yearly.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope, I've thought about what it would be like to have a mileage sticker that read volume over distance, such as the European l/100km or some such. People would habe a much more realistic view of their vehicle's efficiency.

Since we're mostly American on this forum it would likely be gallons/100 miles.

25 mpg = 4gal/100miles
30mpg = 3.33gal/100miles (not much better)
35mpg = 2.85gal/100miles
40mpg = 2.5gal/100miles
45mpg = 2.22gal/100miles

There's really not a yuge difference. But with our system people focus on the margins and there's really not an appreciable savings twixt 32mpg highway and 41mpg highway or any other minor difference between cars.

10 mpg to 20 mpg is really where all the savings come in.

10mpg = 10gal/100mile
20mpg = 5gal/100miles
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Absolutely, distance per unit volume is a horrible way to communicate this information.

It exaggerates the benefit of extremely-high-mileage vehicles and downplays the penalty of very-low-mileage ones. This makes it far too easy for people to do the math wrong in both home economics and public policy contexts.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:Rope, I've thought about what it would be like to have a mileage sticker that read volume over distance, such as the European l/100km or some such. People would habe a much more realistic view of their vehicle's efficiency.

Since we're mostly American on this forum it would likely be gallons/100 miles.

25 mpg = 4gal/100miles
30mpg = 3.33gal/100miles (not much better)
35mpg = 2.85gal/100miles
40mpg = 2.5gal/100miles
45mpg = 2.22gal/100miles

There's really not a yuge difference. But with our system people focus on the margins and there's really not an appreciable savings twixt 32mpg highway and 41mpg highway or any other minor difference between cars.

10 mpg to 20 mpg is really where all the savings come in.

10mpg = 10gal/100mile
20mpg = 5gal/100miles
Miles per gallon works for me, but yes, most people don't understand how to manipulate the numbers to get what they are interested in. I thank my high school chemistry teacher for drawing attention to the units of measure when devising an equation. For many people, it makes more sense to break out the data into a form that they are personally interested in.

For the oil-barrel-huggers, Gallons of oil used per Year might be what they care about.
For the economically frugal, $ per Mile or $ per Year might be what they pay attention to.
For the trip planner, Miles per tankful could be a useful figure.
For the ecologically-minded, annual CO2 emissions might be of interest.

Tummy, until you say what you want it for, one form of data is as good as the next.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:The odds of that stone being the right size and shape as well as bouncing just so to lodge in there were astronomical.
Youd be surprised. I see it many times a year.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:The odds of that stone being the right size and shape as well as bouncing just so to lodge in there were astronomical.
Youd be surprised. I see it many times a year.
They say that it's just a few Stones that you see over and over again that are causing all the problems.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
except in this case, the amount of liquid is permanently reduced but the fighter can go drink and get rehydrated after the weigh-in.
"You're ugly!"
"Yeah? Well you're drunk!"
"True, but I'll be sober in the morning..."
Wasn't that a Churchill quote? IFSO FATSO, (Greek for "Then") didja hafta payem ta yousit?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, Just Like REAL racing!
Two die in Las Vegas fantasy driving experience

DRIVER AND INSTRUCTOR KILLED WHEN LAMBORGHINI SPINS, HITS BARRIER, BURSTS INTO FLAMES

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/tw ... z4YaNsHtXv
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

tankinbeans wrote: 10 mpg to 20 mpg is really where all the savings come in.

10mpg = 10gal/100mile
20mpg = 5gal/100miles
Yeah no shit. It's mind blowing. I just did this. My Ram was getting me around ten for my daily driving. My Tiburon is pulling like, 22 mixed (been driving a bit grannyish, it's winter after all) and I'm filling up like, every two weeks as opposed to filling that huge ass tank on the Ram every week or week and a half. I can see a visible difference in my bank account. Twentyish dollars every two weeks compared to 40+ every week or so. Sheesh. That gap might shrink a little come summer. I'll be more tempted to hit the twisties and slam the hammer down.

We'll see how she does this tank, since I got nominated to drive a 40 some mile round trip to close another store four days in a row. Tomorrow is day two. Great thing is 2/3 of the trip is highway. The rest of it is a nightmare. Come my day off I'm gonna have the tire shop check my full size spare. As long as the spare rim is okay, I'm having them swap tires (spare is full size rim with a standard tire, my tires are low pro) and pair the tweaked rim with the spare. That crap has got to go.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Cartoon clutch explains proper treatment, Japanese style

EXEDY CLUTCH KIT COMES WITH THIS ADORABLY DISTURBING CARTOON SEQUENCE.

Way back when, I became familiar with Army maintenance bulletins that were written in the form of comic books. They were written so that the GIs would read for entertainment.
Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/ca ... z4ZNvoJBDA
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

comingbackdown wrote:
tankinbeans wrote: 10 mpg to 20 mpg is really where all the savings come in.

10mpg = 10gal/100mile
20mpg = 5gal/100miles
Yeah no shit. It's mind blowing. I just did this. My Ram was getting me around ten for my daily driving. My Tiburon is pulling like, 22 mixed (been driving a bit grannyish, it's winter after all) and I'm filling up like, every two weeks as opposed to filling that huge ass tank on the Ram every week or week and a half. I can see a visible difference in my bank account. Twentyish dollars every two weeks compared to 40+ every week or so. Sheesh. That gap might shrink a little come summer. I'll be more tempted to hit the twisties and slam the hammer down.

We'll see how she does this tank, since I got nominated to drive a 40 some mile round trip to close another store four days in a row. Tomorrow is day two. Great thing is 2/3 of the trip is highway. The rest of it is a nightmare. Come my day off I'm gonna have the tire shop check my full size spare. As long as the spare rim is okay, I'm having them swap tires (spare is full size rim with a standard tire, my tires are low pro) and pair the tweaked rim with the spare. That crap has got to go.
10 mpg mixes is pretty bad light duty trucks sure have come a long way.

My twin-snail half ton gets me around 19 mixed, with 23 highway if I stay below 70 and on the flats. I do remember the days when I had an old V6 with 1/2 the power of my current truck, which got me in single digits in the winter (granted, on big tires with lots of armor, but still).

Went backpacking last weekend; was a good time as always. Kind of tossing an idea of heading out this weekend as well, but this time not taking the gf along. Been longing for a few days of solitude and escape from the standard weekend stuff.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Apples and oranges comparing to a 2500. I got about what you're getting out of my old '97 C1500 when it had the 4.3L. 150/1500 to 250/2500 is a big step in engine options, gearing, and weight.

Gas 3/4 tons are still thirsty and diesels have actually gone backwards with all the emissions garbage that's on them.