When to blip throttle on downshift?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 GTI

When to blip throttle on downshift?

Post by MidnightInGotham »

Still fairly new, downshifts are pretty good (though I have my moments). I've noticed when going from 4>3 it sometimes seems like a little tougher shift than say 6>5 or 5>4.

The thought occurred to me that when I downshift I am fairly sequential in my method: clutch in, move to lower gear, then blip and release the clutch.

I'm wondering if I should be blipping when I am moving the stick with the idea being that it's easier on the synchros (going to lower gear, spinning the input shaft up when changing might be better)?
2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Performance Pack
IMBoring25

Re: When to blip throttle on downshift?

Post by IMBoring25 »

What you're doing now is a procedurally-correct single-clutched downshift.

If you're finding more resistance to moving the shifter than you want, what you need is a double-clutched downshift. Throttle while moving the shifter won't do anything unless you're floating the gears (if you're asking this question, don't). In order for a double-clutch to be effective, you need to apply throttle while the clutch is out. Shift out of gear, release the clutch, then apply throttle. Some people leave the throttle in from there and some release it while they clutch back in and then reapply to complete the shift. Just whatever's comfortable for you, your car, and the situation.
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 GTI

Post by MidnightInGotham »

IMBoring25 wrote:What you're doing now is a procedurally-correct single-clutched downshift.

If you're finding more resistance to moving the shifter than you want, what you need is a double-clutched downshift. Throttle while moving the shifter won't do anything unless you're floating the gears (if you're asking this question, don't). In order for a double-clutch to be effective, you need to apply throttle while the clutch is out. Shift out of gear, release the clutch, then apply throttle. Some people leave the throttle in from there and some release it while they clutch back in and then reapply to complete the shift. Just whatever's comfortable for you, your car, and the situation.
I may just be sensitive and/or thinking that the throw from 4>3 is longer than it is. The car is a 2016, I wouldn't think that I would need to double clutch DS.
2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Performance Pack
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Could also be that the shift linkage is out of adjustment. When you place the shift lever into 3rd or 4th gear range positions, is there a fairly equal amount of freeplay to the right and to the left, or is it relatively tight to one side and loose to the other?

If it's the latter, it might be that shifts into either 4th or 3rd are blocking because you're catching one or the other edge of the gate and not smoothly moving up the center.

Typically, there is a spring that centers the shifter in the 3/4 gate and also a spring at the transmission that centers the trans lever in the 3/4 gate. If the shifter is not aligned to the transmission, these two springs get into competition as to where the lever should be positioned, with the result that the shift lever does not return to a position corresponding to the center of the 3/4 gate.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Hi, been having my car about a year and am still crappy with down shifts. I either under or over blip. I was wondering what's the best sequence to do it in that might make it a bit easier. Thanks!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

I believe a lot of over thinking is being done. It will feel near simultaneous for me as soon as the clutch goes down to the floor that I'll give a blip and release the clutch again semi-fast. Again, given the situation will determine if I'm giving a light tap or actually feeling like I'm holding and guiding the throttle up. The most difficult downshift in this car I think is 3rd to 2nd which feels like I'm holding the throttle to drive the rpm's up more so then just tapping. I can't ever seem to tap hard enough or have the motion be "consistent" so I'll just guide the rpm's up (holding the throttle) and then just release when I know the RPM is at the correct spot. Single sequence downshifts though are pretty easy in this car because the ratios are so close. For instance, going 6th to 5th or even 5th to 4th only requires about a 300-400 rpm difference really if you take a keen eye to it.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Unless double clutching, one should not need to blip the throttle on downshifts (unless they want to make exhaust noise). For rev matching downshifts I don't think it is so much a blip as actually just increasing the revs while engaging the clutch.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:just increasing the revs while engaging the clutch.
Or, in other words, get on the accelerator pedal just a little earlier. That'll do.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD