Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote: Image
Uh, Tony, Ya got a reral good deal on that bike, right? I mean, look at the frame - it's a GIRL'S bike! I see ya riding it, ya better be wearin' a kilt laddie.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
AHTOXA wrote: Image
Uh, Tony, Ya got a reral good deal on that bike, right? I mean, look at the frame - it's a GIRL'S bike! I see ya riding it, ya better be wearin' a kilt laddie.
in a way, it might be true...eye'd probably break that poor seatpost if eye tried sitting on it...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

There's a new small bundle of smells in the famdamily. My oldest brother's wife just defenestrated their daughter.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:There's a new small bundle of smells in the famdamily. My oldest brother's wife just defenestrated their daughter.
Ya say they left her bound and gagged outside the door of a convent?

Give her a year living with the sisters and she'll either be cured or nun the worse for the wear.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

3 bags full
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:3 bags full
My mother had a policy that once you moved out on your own you could not come back home. One of her reasons was that once you experienced the liberties of living independent of your parents, it would be especially hard to give up your freedoms to come live by the rules, regulations and other exectations of their household.
I'm thinking that if some hardship were to threaten homelessness she would take that child back into the family home, but we were forewarned that this would mean we wouldn't be our own boss anymore.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I don't remember if I posted, this, but about a month ago I picked up this beast to replace my aging MTB.

It's an amazing machine. Although a bicycle may seem like a bicycle to those not into the sport, it is amazing how far MTB tech has progressed in 8 years since I bought my last bike. About the only similarities are two wheels, pedals and a frame, and even then wheel sizes aren't the same any more and frame geometry is totally different. Pedals are about the same, so there's that.

are those shimano components eye spy?? :shock: :D :twisted:
who are you, and what have you done with tony?!? :o
Well, to be fair I did run a Shimano XT front der on my old bike. On this one, the drivetrain is still SRAM, but front brakes are Shimano. And frankly, I like them a lot.

So, Sram no longer makes X9 components. They replaced them with GX. But, I have noticed that my GX doesn't shift as quickly or as smoothly as my old X9. I rode both bikes back to back the other day, since I've converted the old one for pavement duty. Now, this isn't to say that GX doesn't shift very well still, but there is a noticeable difference. It also might be the nature of the beast, since the 1x11 is different from 3x9 that I ran, in that the 11-speed cassette's gears are more widely spaced so the jumps between gears are larger than on the 9 speed.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Just rode back from Austin after MotoGP.

Shit, I have ~800 photos I need to go through... I'll save that for another day. It will take some time just to copy them and convert to DNG.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Happy to announce that I was able to drive my longest stretch 175 miles one way to Atlantic City last week. This is the longest stretch consecutive I've ever driven manual. Admittedly the Garden State Parkway for 100 miles is basically a cruise control - set/forget but the 75 miles out of NY through Staten Island were interesting to say the least. Car was a great road trip companion and luckily my A/C worked because it hit 80F + this weekend.

I wish I had a bike for the boardwalk though... saw a ton of people riding and got jealous.

Next weekend looking to claybar / polish out some paint swirls / re-wax. Windshield and front end of my car took a beating from all the bugs on the Garden State.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:
Next weekend looking to claybar / polish out some paint swirls / re-wax. Windshield and front end of my car took a beating from all the bugs on the Garden State.
Fickset
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:Happy to announce that I was able to drive my longest stretch 175 miles one way to Atlantic City last week. This is the longest stretch consecutive I've ever driven manual. Admittedly the Garden State Parkway for 100 miles is basically a cruise control - set/forget but the 75 miles out of NY through Staten Island were interesting to say the least. Car was a great road trip companion and luckily my A/C worked because it hit 80F + this weekend.

I wish I had a bike for the boardwalk though... saw a ton of people riding and got jealous.

hao'd eye miss diss won?? just go to the manual car wash (NO BRUSHES ALOUD!!) and get kinda (not too) close with the spray hose nozzle thingamajig. ewe cant tell eye have vent bin on dat carr washing fanatic sight late lee, eh?? (four sew long eye fur geht der namen) 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

I forgot in the last post to apply a conclusion... but what is the longest distance that you've driven a manual vehicle without pitting? I felt like I could of gone maybe 250 miles. What really killed me in the stretch was out of Long Island, through Queens/Brooklyn, and then through Staten Island. The roads are pretty much constantly congested, hilly, and just bad road quality overall so it's not so much my leg fatiguing but my back/spine.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Teamwork wrote:I forgot in the last post to apply a conclusion... but what is the longest distance that you've driven a manual vehicle without pitting?
About 470 miles over 7 hours with no stops at all. Ive done that drive several times. Though I don't see why the transmission has anything to do with it. I'm limited by my bladder around the 6-8 hour mark.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
Teamwork wrote:I forgot in the last post to apply a conclusion... but what is the longest distance that you've driven a manual vehicle without pitting?
About 470 miles over 7 hours with no stops at all. Ive done that drive several times. Though I don't see why the transmission has anything to do with it. I'm limited by my bladder around the 6-8 hour mark.
Yanno, 7-11 sells them 20 oz iced teas with the oversized bottle neck. Just sayin you wouldn't have to keep your eyes off the road for very long to get lined-up with the opening.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Teamwork wrote:Happy to announce that I was able to drive my longest stretch 175 miles one way to Atlantic City last week. This is the longest stretch consecutive I've ever driven manual. Admittedly the Garden State Parkway for 100 miles is basically a cruise control - set/forget but the 75 miles out of NY through Staten Island were interesting to say the least. Car was a great road trip companion and luckily my A/C worked because it hit 80F + this weekend.

175 miles isn't all that much, really. My longest drives (with stops for gas but not to sleep or rest) have been right at 1050 miles. 15.5-16 hours. I've done that 5 times over the last 6 years. On my motorcycle, the current longest ride has been 250 miles with stops only for gas. I ride to MotoGP in Austin once a year, that's >500 miles in two days, 250 each day.

Just finished placing an order for new moto gear. Decided to upgrade my current stuff now that it's been a few years riding and I know exactly what I want and don't want in the gear I'm looking for.

Let's see. New boots, pants, jacket and an upgraded back protector for the jack. Today was a spendy day.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650