Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Honest Engines

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm very happy with my non-TDI mpg. Of course it's been a bit shiite since winter, but during warmer weather I generally run around 37-39 combined.

Even now, I'm around 33-35 dipping a little lower during coldsnaps.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/0 ... -for-2018/

I don't know why I'm intrigued considering I'm a pseudo-luddite.
Interesting post. I'm certainly interested - though like previously mentioned, I'm wondering how Mazda has managed to control the emissions compared to standard gas engines. As the type slides towards diesel, so would the emissions to an extent...

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote: Image
I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I'm very happy with my non-TDI mpg. Of course it's been a bit shiite since winter, but during warmer weather I generally run around 37-39 combined.

sounds like you got the right car. i was averaging around 31 mpg in the warmer months, and am more like 29-30 these days. i have a habit of making the little turbo spool though. most of my commute is 45-55mph (=50-60ish IRL) but there is sometimes traffic or bad drivers, and the first or last 5-10 minutes of my commute (depending on which way i'm going and time of day/night) can be trafficky.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I'm very happy with my non-TDI mpg. Of course it's been a bit shiite since winter, but during warmer weather I generally run around 37-39 combined.

sounds like you got the right car. i was averaging around 31 mpg in the warmer months, and am more like 29-30 these days. i have a habit of making the little turbo spool though. most of my commute is 45-55mph (=50-60ish IRL) but there is sometimes traffic or bad drivers, and the first or last 5-10 minutes of my commute (depending on which way i'm going and time of day/night) can be trafficky.
That's just about where I'm at in my 6 speed manual 2.0 TSI. 31-32 mpg with less idling, warmer climates, and about 28-29 mpg in the winter months. I did notice that I dropped to 26-27ish on a stretch and checked my air pressure. All around my tires like 6 PSI evenly from the warm to cold... I actually got quite used to how the car rode at 32 PSI as opposed to 38 PSI. Maybe placebo, maybe not. I'm still really pleased with the real world fuel economy with this car though. I don't baby it, I don't really beat it, but I do wind out gears from time to time.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote: Image
I actually got quite used to how the car rode at 32 PSI as opposed to 38 PSI.
Fickset
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:I don't know...Back when my boss was trying to re-activate our local SAE chapter we did a meet at the local Nissan dealer to look at the then-new Leaf and got to drive them. They're peppy and the low CG helps handling some. Further, if you enjoy hypermiling, there's the "game" aspect of it. Alas, the non-temperature-controlled battery pack on them means they don't do well in temperature extremes.
that means they will have issues in most of the US of A, if run year round at least. :?
Eye wuss sprised too here the otter day that Generous Motors wuss planning to sell the Bolt electric car all across the USA, not JUST in areas with worm climates.

OH, CANADA TWO!
It seams Ontario will offer a large rebate on the Chevy Bolt, but mebbe knot the otter provinces. Sails rates will prolly trend to follow the rebate monies.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The Engine May be Honest,....

....,but some owners are suing Ford about overheating trannies and rear ends!

THAT SHELBY IS HOT… TOO HOT - Autoline Daily
A small group of owners are suing Ford saying the Mustang Shelby GT350 is not as “Track Ready” as Ford says it is. They say their transmissions and differentials overheated while at the track, forcing the car into “limp mode” to prevent damage. These owners have the Technology package, which along with the base GT350, did not come with the optional Track Package’s transmission and differential coolers. They claim Ford knew there was a problem because the coolers are now standard on all models.

....and the plot sickens! Seems that there was an option package that would have averted overheating of the transmissions and differentials, but the owners suing Ford did NOT check that box when ordering their cars. Whose fault is that?

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/23/ford ... 0-lawsuit/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

This One Better Have Mo' Coolin'

Spy shots of the Shelby GT500 show massive wing and wheel arch vents
Early reports indicate the halo Mustang will have a supercharged 5.2-liter V8 with a cross-plane crank making a total output of about 750 hp.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/spy-photos/ ... z4cXunPZcA
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Turbot Ain't Just a Fish!
THE TURBOCHARGER TAKE OVER = from Autoline Daily
Turbochargers are taking over engines in the U.S. The surge in popularity began in 2011, when turbo engines were installed in a record high, 10.7% of light vehicles. In 2016, that number grew significantly to 24.1%. And now, just through March of this year, 27.6% of engines built were turbocharged. Their newfound popularity is thanks chiefly to rapidly shrinking engines. And as engines continue to drop cylinders and displacement gets even smaller, we can expect to see more turbos.

http://wardsauto.com/engines/turbo-engi ... ecord-high
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

There's No Substitute for Cubic Supercharger Displacements

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE TRACKHAWK PRICING - from Autoline Daily
If someone wants to get their hands on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hellcat engine stuffed under the hood, it’s going to cost them $87,000, including destination charges. That’s about $19,000 more than a SRT Grand Cherokee and as some are making a big deal out of, $1,000 more than a Demon. But it’s really not that big of a difference between what it costs to go from a SRT Charger or Challenger to a Hellcat. It’s a $14,000 difference from a SRT Challenger to a Challenger Hellcat and a $16,500 gap for the Charger. What this really shows is that FCA is able to charge a boatload of cash for an engine people just can’t seem to get enough of.

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsre ... 8493&mid=1
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Porsche Blames High Speed Misfire on Finger Followers

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a1 ... -warranty/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RAM HEAVY-DUTY SETS TORQUE RECORD - from Autoline Daily
Pick-up truck makers go back and forth, trading off who has the most power and towing capacity and Ram just moved itself back to the top of a few lists. The 2018 Ram Heavy Duty with a 6.7L Cummins diesel now has 930 lb-ft of torque, the highest rating ever for a pick-up. We feel it’s just a matter of time before someone cracks 1,000 lb-ft mark. With a newly engineered trailer hitch, the truck also has the heaviest fifth-wheel trailer towing capacity of 30,000-pounds. That will save some customers with large trailers from having to move up to a Class 4 or 5 truck. The new 2018 Ram Heavy Duty will be available this month
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsre ... 8481&mid=1
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:fifth-wheel trailer towing capacity of 30,000-pounds. That will save some customers with large trailers from having to move up to a Class 4 or 5 truck.
Also: "Ram 3500 Heavy Duty maximum gooseneck and conventional hitch maximum trailer weight ratings for 2018 are 31,210 lbs and 20,000 lbs., respectively."

You could load this:

Onto this:

And still have capacity leftover for a spare Ram 3500 if the camper is empty, or a base model Ram 1500 if the camper is loaded to its GVWR with all your silverware/luggage/bikes/gear and tanks full of fresh/grey/black water.

Except, of course, the deckover isn't going to be long enough for the fiver and the spare truck, and the rig would be too tall...but in states allowing tandem towing for average schmoes you could tow the spare Ram 3500 behind the camper on a lightweight trailer, on a dolly, or 4-down (driveshaft disconnected or transfer case in neutral or manual transmission in neutral) behind the camper, even if the camper is full.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:fifth-wheel trailer towing capacity of 30,000-pounds. That will save some customers with large trailers from having to move up to a Class 4 or 5 truck.
Also: "Ram 3500 Heavy Duty maximum gooseneck and conventional hitch maximum trailer weight ratings for 2018 are 31,210 lbs and 20,000 lbs., respectively."
Gotta love the Cummins