Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote:Every car I've ever had has needed the heat to be slightly left of center in the winter for me to be comfortable. Right now the digital doohicky says I'm at 66 and I'm close to cooking. Sounds like the Jetta you have is a different aniimal than the one I drove, though structurally they're pretty much identical. I think the 2011 still had a torsion beam. The car looked much nicer than it was and the manual in it was pretty terrible.

30mpg seems kind of low, but with the cold snap and what I imagine LI traffic is it's probably about right. Malcolm is averaging 32, but my morning commute is pretty wide open. I start at 6 to avoid the parking lot. The afternoon 20 miles takes anyway from 45 minutes to an hour.
I forgot you had a run in with it and I can't really keep up with the generations now... they seem to flip back and fourth in what they want this car to be which is ironic because it feels like an identity crisis to me. It probably comes off that I'm a hater on this car and being hard on it but the problem is my "memory" of the Jetta doesn't fit what this car is. I loved the fifth generation look and really wanted one for a long time. When I test drove cars for my first lease the Jetta was probably ranking 1-2 for me after I test drove probably 12-15 cars. Hell, I was even a fan of the 5 cylinder... really liked that engine even though the gas mileage was atrocious.

Somewhere in the sixth generation I kind of hated these cars though? Is this even the 6th generation I'm still driving... I thought gen 6 started in 2011 so could this seriously be a 2017 model and still same car as 2011? Pretty ironic to me that the best selling car in the fleet is the last to get the MQB architecture but I guess they didn't need to push it. This car's suspension is well sorted out for a mixture of firm and compliance- it's a bit softly sprung for me but the MK7 GTI for a bench mark for me so I'm spoiled. I'm sure this has a multi link in the rear but that's where this car is so damn weird... heated side mirrors, multi link, 6 speed automatic... but it has steelies, a plastic steering wheel, and literally no auto off on the head lights. If you forgot you left your head lights on the car will literally keep them on and you'll have a dead battery.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

VW have a habit of running a generation for a stupid long time. The 2017 is largely the same as the 2011. I've heard they did a lot to update some bits to keep it competitive, but I've never really looked that closely.

Rob can probably wax on about the early part of the generation since he had a 12 and objectively has more seat time.

The growl of the 2.5 always made me giggle, but the transmission hid any power that vehicle had. The auto might have been subjectively more roarty. My Focus with a 24 torque deficit and a 16 hp deficit felt much more sure of itself at speed.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:VW have a habit of running a generation for a stupid long time. The 2017 is largely the same as the 2011. I've heard they did a lot to update some bits to keep it competitive, but I've never really looked that closely.

Rob can probably wax on about the early part of the generation since he had a 12 and objectively has more seat time.

The growl of the 2.5 always made me giggle, but the transmission hid any power that vehicle had. The auto might have been subjectively more roarty. My Focus with a 24 torque deficit and a 16 hp deficit felt much more sure of itself at speed.
yeah, it's amazing (not sure in what sense) they ran the 6th gen that long on the same platform without an all-out redesign. they DID do a couple of refreshes (one or two minor ones and one bigger one for eye think '16). they also revamped the powertrains and, as mentioned, the suspension (for lower models). they also got rid of the old rear drum brakes on lower models, IIRC. most of the trim levels (other than maybe SEL and GLI) remained cheap feeling throughout the generation run, though there seemed to be some improvements, mainly in features though - my '12 2.5 SE had the cheap plastic wheel with no buttons, cheap stereo with 4 speakers, no FAHGLEITZ :cry: , no lumbar adjustment, no rear disc brakes, no IRS (the good one), no auto headlights, no ESC override, no MIB or whatever that interface is called. the auto trans and the 2.5 went together very well, other than the tranny shifting rough at times. i had the fluid changed out 10k early to help with the shifting, and out of fear of the tranny going. i didn't find the mpgs abysmal, but definitely not close to the 1.8.
i think i used to average ~24-26 mpgs, with the 24 being mainly in the winter. i average over 30 in warmer months with the golf, and close to 30 in the colder months. if i were to get a '17 jetta, i'd try for either SE (which you can get in a manual), Sport or SEL. good deals to be had on those now and even a few months ago. gli seems too overpriced and the gti is said to be better in almost every way.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, the next time I drive to or drive back from Toronto, I hope I am able to adjust my travel times to avoid the evening rush hours.
Leaving at 4:45 pm, I was in heavy stop-n-go traffic all the way to Hamilton and then again as I approached London. After London, the traffic volume was significantly lower and I could pick my speed, but then the gusty winds made me think twice about trying to make up time. I did 225 miles in 5.5 hours - no stops other than at customs. If you take that time out, I was averaging only 43 mph. Maybe I should have stayed later and ate dinner before I left, but then I would have been getting home around midnight and I don't know if my favorite pizza place is open that late.

My drive to Toronto on Wednesday went a bit better, no traffic through Hamilton, but I still hit incomming stop-n-go around 5 PM for the last 30 miles or so....and then my cellphone decided it needed special permission to use data in Canada and with no warning it stopped navigating me. I just kept driving in that snarl of vehicles until I realized I hadn't heard any directions for some time. Took about 40 minutes to find an exit to a surface street, finger out why the phone wasn't navigating, and back-track to my hotel.

I'm thinking that it would be best to plan to leave Toronto area just after lunch, driving in the daylight and actually enjoying drive and the scenery. Driving there, I think that I should have taken lunch at 11 am and started my drive directly after eating instead of staying at my desk until 1:45pm. You live and you learn...you learn to try to avoid what made you miserable in a previous experience.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:yeah, it's amazing (not sure in what sense) they ran the 6th gen that long on the same platform without an all-out redesign. they DID do a couple of refreshes (one or two minor ones and one bigger one for eye think '16). they also revamped the powertrains and, as mentioned, the suspension (for lower models). they also got rid of the old rear drum brakes on lower models, IIRC. most of the trim levels (other than maybe SEL and GLI) remained cheap feeling throughout the generation run, though there seemed to be some improvements, mainly in features though - my '12 2.5 SE had the cheap plastic wheel with no buttons, cheap stereo with 4 speakers, no FAHGLEITZ :cry: , no lumbar adjustment, no rear disc brakes, no IRS (the good one), no auto headlights, no ESC override, no MIB or whatever that interface is called. the auto trans and the 2.5 went together very well, other than the tranny shifting rough at times. i had the fluid changed out 10k early to help with the shifting, and out of fear of the tranny going. i didn't find the mpgs abysmal, but definitely not close to the 1.8.
i think i used to average ~24-26 mpgs, with the 24 being mainly in the winter. i average over 30 in warmer months with the golf, and close to 30 in the colder months. if i were to get a '17 jetta, i'd try for either SE (which you can get in a manual), Sport or SEL. good deals to be had on those now and even a few months ago. gli seems too overpriced and the gti is said to be better in almost every way.
I missed this response somehow but yeah I see, and agree to a tee here. I've had enough seat time in this thing to actually have to put gas into it, traveled with 3 others, and pretty much am probably losing my stick mojo each day without my GTI. My sentiments really aren't improving with this model over time but I am just happy to be with a car and not having to rely on public transit to live my life at this point.

I still find it ironic that VW's best seller in the states is the last to get MQB and I actually heard with all these news/press releases on the 2019 that they were having "issues" translating the platform for the Jetta (this is why the car is going to be near mid size now apparently). I think this 1.4L is up to the task of being a mainstream engine though people will question the move but they really need to start having standards here or they are going to get buried again. I don't really think this is a mexico/plant problem either but they are selling the upgrades to this Chattanooga plant hard.

On a side note what's the logic of having to start an automatic car but having a lockout if your foot isn't on the brake to start? Wouldn't the car being in park negate any need for this (it's not push button either)?

EDIT: BTW I really hope an update on my car can be given this week. It seems like I call every mid week and get told "it could be next week". This is getting borderline ridiculous though and I'm usually willing to give benefits of the doubt. By this Wednesday I will literally have been out of a car for 15 days.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Is it feasible for you to go to the dealer and demand to speak to the service manager? That's where I'd lose patience and blow a gasket even though I'm generally not quick to anger.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote:Is it feasible for you to go to the dealer and demand to speak to the service manager? That's where I'd lose patience and blow a gasket even though I'm generally not quick to anger.
I think that's where this goes if by Tuesday/Wednesday this week that the car isn't done here. I asked the two hard questions basically already; A) Is this going to be covered under warranty, B) Do I have a mileage cap on the loaner? Both answers came back favorable- so I am giving them a chance but this is going borderline for me.

What made this situation even worse to begin with was I was the story changed for the part. On 01/11 I was told that it could of potentially made it in by the weekend. Saturday that weekend - 1/13 - I was told 7-10 business days. I essentially reached out to my sales person and the service manager and DEMANDED a loaner car. This was apparently the "only car" available... leaving me to the last 2-3 peaceful rants :).

This is a franchise dealership which also had Audi, Nissan, Porsche under their wing. I don't really understand how a base level Jetta is absolutely the only thing they could've mustered.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:On a side note what's the logic of having to start an automatic car but having a lockout if your foot isn't on the brake to start? Wouldn't the car being in park negate any need for this (it's not push button either)?
Shirley, you have heard of the belt-n-suspenders approach.
If either one will keep you from losing your modesty, then both together must be doubley safe, right?

Sometimes peoples wear they are pressing on the brake when in realty they are pressing on the accelerator pedal. Requiring a signal from the brake pedals witch keeps things real.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Is it feasible for you to go to the dealer and demand to speak to the service manager? That's where I'd lose patience and blow a gasket even though I'm generally not quick to anger.
I think that's where this goes if by Tuesday/Wednesday this week that the car isn't done here. I asked the two hard questions basically already; A) Is this going to be covered under warranty, B) Do I have a mileage cap on the loaner? Both answers came back favorable- so I am giving them a chance but this is going borderline for me.

What made this situation even worse to begin with was I was the story changed for the part. On 01/11 I was told that it could of potentially made it in by the weekend. Saturday that weekend - 1/13 - I was told 7-10 business days. I essentially reached out to my sales person and the service manager and DEMANDED a loaner car. This was apparently the "only car" available... leaving me to the last 2-3 peaceful rants :).

This is a franchise dealership which also had Audi, Nissan, Porsche under their wing. I don't really understand how a base level Jetta is absolutely the only thing they could've mustered.
am eye the only won thinking teamwork should NOT throw a fit and should be happy he has a loaner car and that they are willing and hopefully going to fix his whip?? maybe eye'm naive or whatever, but eye can't picture the service department appreciating him showing them his displeasure and upsettal over this. maybe you should/can ask for a nicer loaner car; that's about as far as eye wood go tho. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
potownrob wrote:yeah, it's amazing (not sure in what sense) they ran the 6th gen that long on the same platform without an all-out redesign. they DID do a couple of refreshes (one or two minor ones and one bigger one for eye think '16). they also revamped the powertrains and, as mentioned, the suspension (for lower models). they also got rid of the old rear drum brakes on lower models, IIRC. most of the trim levels (other than maybe SEL and GLI) remained cheap feeling throughout the generation run, though there seemed to be some improvements, mainly in features though - my '12 2.5 SE had the cheap plastic wheel with no buttons, cheap stereo with 4 speakers, no FAHGLEITZ :cry: , no lumbar adjustment, no rear disc brakes, no IRS (the good one), no auto headlights, no ESC override, no MIB or whatever that interface is called. the auto trans and the 2.5 went together very well, other than the tranny shifting rough at times. i had the fluid changed out 10k early to help with the shifting, and out of fear of the tranny going. i didn't find the mpgs abysmal, but definitely not close to the 1.8.
I missed this response somehow but yeah I see, and agree to a tee here. I've had enough seat time in this thing to actually have to put gas into it, traveled with 3 others, and pretty much am probably losing my stick mojo each day without my GTI. My sentiments really aren't improving with this model over time but I am just happy to be with a car and not having to rely on public transit to live my life at this point.

I still find it ironic that VW's best seller in the states is the last to get MQB and I actually heard with all these news/press releases on the 2019 that they were having "issues" translating the platform for the Jetta (this is why the car is going to be near mid size now apparently). I think this 1.4L is up to the task of being a mainstream engine though people will question the move but they really need to start having standards here or they are going to get buried again. I don't really think this is a mexico/plant problem either but they are selling the upgrades to this Chattanooga plant hard.

On a side note what's the logic of having to start an automatic car but having a lockout if your foot isn't on the brake to start? Wouldn't the car being in park negate any need for this (it's not push button either)?

EDIT: BTW I really hope an update on my car can be given this week. It seems like I call every mid week and get told "it could be next week". This is getting borderline ridiculous though and I'm usually willing to give benefits of the doubt. By this Wednesday I will literally have been out of a car for 15 days.
keep in mind the jetta can be so cheap and thusly so popular due to them re-using the old platform and keeping things cheap overall. the car at least used to have class competitive power (other than the older 2.slow), features, interior room and ride quality. VW curse aside, it represented a good value and looked nice too. from what i've heard, read and seen (haven't driven one myself), the 1.4 turbo is a very good all-around engine. the trannies, especially the 5 speed manuel, may not be the best and may in some ways hold back the engine power delivery, but i've heard and seen mostly good reviews on these cars. eye also wouldn't worry about losing your stick mojo; if anything, you'll probably go back to driving manuel with a new perspective, kinda like someone who drove manual in a previous life driving manuel being surprised they can do it and understand it without trying (bad example, but maybe you catch my drift).
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

I didn't rage and just rode it out. Car ended up being ready today.. the invoice was seriously nasty. It almost seemed like a foreign language to me and looking at the cost of the parts if this wasn't covered under warranty it would've been a $1,600 endeavor without labor. This is going to probably be my last get out of jail card here but definitely a bit disconcerting send off.

Getting back to my car- it was like nothing ever changed. You know the things that I realized the most on a straight transition are: leather steering wheel is definitely a nice feel, car definitely rides stiffer then I remember (but in a positive way), lumbar support IS necessary with age.

I definitely valued the ability to have the loaner for as long as I did and even though it felt like a car that was 12k underneath mine- still an experience. That 1.4L turbo will never make it's way in a Passat but I think could be used in the base golf and jetta as a mainstream engine. I also liked the key fob better then my GTI one but it seemed to have problems with the range. I literally had to be standing close enough where if I extended my arm out I could almost touch the car in order to lock and unlock for some reason. I know VW has had a history of problems with this...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:I didn't rage and just rode it out. Car ended up being ready today.. the invoice was seriously nasty. It almost seemed like a foreign language to me and looking at the cost of the parts if this wasn't covered under warranty it would've been a $1,600 endeavor without labor. This is going to probably be my last get out of jail card here but definitely a bit disconcerting send off.
epic winning :!: 8) might want to upgrade vehicle soon though. :) :lol:
p.s. new warranty is much better, i hear :mrgreen:
Getting back to my car- it was like nothing ever changed. You know the things that I realized the most on a straight transition are: leather steering wheel is definitely a nice feel, car definitely rides stiffer then I remember (but in a positive way), lumbar support IS necessary with age.
yessir, yessir...
I definitely valued the ability to have the loaner for as long as I did and even though it felt like a car that was 12k underneath mine- still an experience. That 1.4L turbo will never make it's way in a Passat but I think could be used in the base golf and jetta as a mainstream engine. I also liked the key fob better then my GTI one but it seemed to have problems with the range. I literally had to be standing close enough where if I extended my arm out I could almost touch the car in order to lock and unlock for some reason. I know VW has had a history of problems with this...
it'll never match the 1.8T, let alone a 2.0T (even an older one), but it is good for what they use it for. decent torques, very good mpgs. '17 jetta sport and sel might be the last chance to get a jetta with the 1.8T (no manuel though)... :o
key fob thing i'd have to look at to see how they're different; i know my jetta's was different and took a different battery. i replaced the battery in my golf key fob with the one the older fobs take (slightly bigger battery) and it's been running strong since the fall/winter of '16 when i replaced it... :idea: :twisted: took some pressure on the battery door to close it, but it hasn't popped open yet and the range is superb. :)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

noob5,000,000 wrote:Image
hey snowball, how's it hanging dude?? :)
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Am I mistaken or is VW the only fully line manufacturer that no longer offer NA engines? I can't recall the last VW that didn't come with a turbocharger, or briefly, a hybrid system.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport