I think I found the worst thing about interior design for manual transmission cars

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

I think I found the worst thing about interior design for manual transmission cars

Post by bk7794 »

Cup holder placement.

On my Civic, the cup sits behind the shifter. This means when you're shifting around town, the cup does not get in the way. On my volvo, it sits directly behind the shifter. This means when you're shifting around town, the cup is right in the way and you need to have this awkward hand placement to shift.

Civic example

Volvo placement example, Mustang pictured but same thing.

I know you're going to say, how many times do you have a cup? However, most of the time I am driving, I am commuting to or from work.

Thoughts?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: I think I found the worst thing about interior design for manual transmission cars

Post by tankinbeans »

I agree. Although I will say that the fore and aft placement is less irritating than the side by side placement because there isn't as much stretching of the wrist involved to shift. I currently have similar placement to the Mustang in Malcolm and it's generally okay; if the cups are big enough I rest my arm on the lid.

That said I wish more cars had useable cubbies to stow things like phones, wallets, and, increasingly, prox keys. The cupholder tends to be a catchall in my car and without a space for the key they fly about. First world problems I know.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Re: I think I found the worst thing about interior design for manual transmission cars

Post by bk7794 »

I usually rest my arm on mine as well, though if its a coffee mug my mouth goes on the lid. I work at a place with lots of people so my coat could potentially carry a lot of germs/bacteria etc. I'd rather that not be in my cup.

It's just funny how it's something so overlooked. I never expected a 1990s car to have better cup holder/ergonomics than a modern day car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

bk7794 wrote:It's just funny how it's something so overlooked. I never expected a 1990s car to have better cup holder/ergonomics than a modern day car.
You're average 1990's car didn't have as much stuff on the Instrument Panel or center console as modern cars do. The AWD selectors, the big touch-screen displays, the heat seaters, the traction-control and/or stability control defeat switches,....stuff-n-storage takes center stage over Amish shifting these daze. That's also why you see more rotary or push-button slushbox shifters and electric park brakes - they take up less room than their ancestors did.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I think a good compromise might be the fore/aft placement along the right side of the shitter, parallel to 5/6 or 5/R. Obviously that would have to vary in LHD and RHD cars.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

tankinbeans wrote:I think a good compromise might be the fore/aft placement along the right side of the shitter, parallel to 5/6 or 5/R. Obviously that would have to vary in LHD and RHD cars.
I think you're right. Though many cars probably don't have the real-estate. Some can barely fit the shifter.
Rope-Pusher wrote:
bk7794 wrote:It's just funny how it's something so overlooked. I never expected a 1990s car to have better cup holder/ergonomics than a modern day car.
You're average 1990's car didn't have as much stuff on the Instrument Panel or center console as modern cars do. The AWD selectors, the big touch-screen displays, the heat seaters, the traction-control and/or stability control defeat switches,....stuff-n-storage takes center stage over Amish shifting these daze. That's also why you see more rotary or push-button slushbox shifters and electric park brakes - they take up less room than their ancestors did.
I see the Fit actually managed to put the cupholders out of the way.

I have a feeling like a lot of cup holder locations are afterthoughts
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I see the Fit actually managed to put the cupholders out of the way.

I have a feeling like a lot of cup holder locations are afterthoughts
you're telling me. don't forget cupholders were not as prevalent or required back in the 90s...be glad you didn't get an older civic...

and don't forget some models, like the preludes, didn't even come with cupholders :shock: :cry: :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

My GTO came with a feature when I shifted into first, it changed radio stations for me.

That's what I call awesome design!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

AHTOXA wrote:My GTO came with a feature when I shifted into first, it changed radio stations for me.

Reminds me of the most annoying feature in my first manual where I couldn't get into 4th at random times for no explicable reason.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:My GTO came with a feature when I shifted into first, it changed radio stations for me.

My wife's Sunfire has a similar feature. When you shift into 5th, the cap on a fast food cup pops off.

Also, the HVAC controls are hidden neatly behind the cup holders. If one or both cupholders should be occupied, it is nigh impossible to adjust temperature, fan, or mode. Makes me want to crash into a tree and use any broken branches to bash the cups and the HVAC panel.
Rope-Pusher wrote:That's also why you see more rotary or push-button slushbox shifters and electric park brakes - they take up less room than their ancestors did.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I love column shift automatics. If I get an automatic, it must have a column shift.

Not sure why
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

bk7794 wrote:I love column shift automatics. If I get an automatic, it must have a column shift.

Not sure why
I have no real preference either way except to say that column shitters allow greater flexibility in front seat layout. In Galadriel, my Buick, there's a column shitter allowing it to theoretically carry 6 cornfed Americans. The right bench seat is comfortable and column shitters allow for benches.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am
bk7794 wrote:I love column shift automatics. If I get an automatic, it must have a column shift.

Not sure why
I have no real preference either way except to say that column shitters allow greater flexibility in front seat layout. In Galadriel, my Buick, there's a column shitter allowing it to theoretically carry 6 cornfed Americans. The right bench seat is comfortable and column shitters allow for benches.
One of the worst things for an automatic is a floor shifter. A small lever on the column will do the job nicely. Best one I ever had was the 1999 Plymouth Voyager van.

And if one wants a manual and more seating room, then they need to bring this option back:
https://youtu.be/BjkRB1Ibjj0?t=52
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:32 pm

Not sure why
One of the worst things for an automatic is a floor shifter. A small lever on the column will do the job nicely. Best one I ever had was the 1999 Plymouth Voyager van.

And if one wants a manual and more seating room, then they need to bring this option back:
Column shift looks like it would be hell for driving in traffic or any situation where you’d have to shift a lot, especially a 4 speed column shift. I agree that column shift auto makes more sense in general than floor shift.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:14 am
ClutchFork wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:32 pm

Column shift looks like it would be hell for driving in traffic or any situation where you’d have to shift a lot, especially a 4 speed column shift. I agree that column shift auto makes more sense in general than floor shift.
It really depends on the particular unit I guess. One thing for sure, you don't have to move your hand far from the wheel to grab a gear. That can make it easier in some ways. So long as the linkage is not heavily worn you get used to it. I drove column shift for 8 years and loved it.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...