does this constitue some type of law breaking (gas prices)?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

First, I don't think it's illegal. Do you notice a lot of stores post a "minimum charge" sign telling you that if you use a credit card, you have to have at least $X amount of merchandise. The Chevron thing is the same thing, just a different form. ARCOs across the country do the same thing, and has been doing it for years. If it was illegal, we would have heard something about that by now.

Second, driving out of your way to save $0.04 a gallon is a waste. You use almost the same amount you save to get there (in terms of gas, time, patience, and sanity), and even if your tC had a 20 gallon tank, you would only save $0.80. I know, over time, it might amount to something, but unless you go out of your way to the Chevron EVERY time you fill, you will not see the savings in the long run. Especially when you consider the extra 5-10 minutes it will cost you in time every time you fill.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I suppose you will just have to deal with it, and such. I despise companis that falsely advertise. I have a baseball bat, and wanted to return it for warranty, and I bought it on ebay, used paypal, etc, brand new, in wrapper, and I pay 20 bucks to have it shipped, I get it back two days later, with aletter saying, we don't accept paypal receipts. BS. I called, they said it was on their website. No it wasn't, and the service rep says:

well, it says the warranty is non trasferrable.

I said it was brand new, in the wrapper, never used,

he says I'm sorry, paypal is not acceptable, and hangs up.

that pissed me off so much, I'm not buying any more of their bats.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Coupe31705
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Coupe31705 »

Just try to stay away from trucks, he turned like that because he has to make wide right turns...trucks drive a little differently, and it is easy to forget this. He signaled back to the right so quickly to try and let you know not to get too close 'cuz he'd be going right.

Never sit on the side of a truck for more than 15sec if you can help it...less if possible...same with within 150ft behind it...if a truck is signalling, just try and stay away.

I understand your frustration...everyone has a day like that once in awhile...get a good night's sleep and forget about it...its not a big deal.

Post-Script-also, as six said, although it financially makes sense(barely), it doesn't make sense to go out of your way to the chevron when you factor in time wasted.
Wanna give me insurance $$$?
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

I hate driving near 18 wheelers on the roads. I always pass them, and then get in front of them.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Ashish - the best places to fill up around here are the BP on Alafaya and the Quadrangle and the RaceTrac off Alafaya near the 50 intersection. Ooh, and the Hess on University and Rouse.

Chevron has bad gas and bad prices. Don't fill up there anymore, or I'll be forced to DCHT your sorry butt. :P

Tonight I'm pretty busy - what's your Saturday/Sunday look like?
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

eaglecatcher wrote:I hate driving near 18 wheelers on the roads. I always pass them, and then get in front of them.
im terrified to drive next to semis, esp after one (that was going 80mph :shock: ) tried to merge ontop of my moms van...:?, and this am i had to drive next to one w/ large cement tunnels on it...:?
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I like driving behind trucks. It saves a bit of gas while on the freeway.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Tiamat
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Tiamat »

It's perfectly legal to do that. Lots of places here do it (I don't worry about it too much, since I past a dozen gas stations on my way to work, so I have my choice). It is NOT ok to post a "minimum purchase" for credit cards, but lots of places do it despite it violating their service agreements (this came from the internet somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was at MSN money, but I might be wrong, so don't quote me).

Damn frustrating, isn't it?
"Better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
tobigooddog

Post by tobigooddog »

I think they have "minimum purchase" on credit cards because they pay per transaction, so if a bunch of people buy 5 bucks worth of stuff, by the time they pay the transaction fees, it may not be profitable for them to sell the thing in the first place. I don't see how this would be illegal.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

paul34 wrote: But but... Chevron is a "top tier gas"! http://www.toptiergas.com :P
True of the matter is, with the highly competitive marketplace that exists in the oil world today, everyone is buying everyone else's oil as cheap as cheap as they can get it. So you really have no idea who's gas you're getting anyway, even if you always go to X station. :roll:

Hooray for capitalism! :P
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Johnf514 wrote:
paul34 wrote: But but... Chevron is a "top tier gas"! http://www.toptiergas.com :P
True of the matter is, with the highly competitive marketplace that exists in the oil world today, everyone is buying everyone else's oil as cheap as cheap as they can get it. So you really have no idea who's gas you're getting anyway, even if you always go to X station. :roll:

Hooray for capitalism! :P
it's because of the transportation system of the gas, all the gas companies use the same pipes across the country. Chevron can put 100 gallons in in Texas and immediately pull 100 different gallons out in NY. who originally put that 100 gallons that Chevron pulled out is anybody's guess. the only difference between gas from one station to the next is the addatives that are put in it when they pull it out of the pipes and put it into their tanker trucks and mix in the addatives.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

the OP scenario happened almost exactly the same way here today. A station was offering gas for 2.33, and on the bills, they were charged for 3.35. No, not a whole lot, but its still false advertising. Anwyas, they weren't gonna honor refunds, but today they are. Supposedly a mistake, but you would have to be retarded to think you can get away with that.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

I don't know about US law but here it is completely legal to display a low price and then charge you a higher one at the till.

A posted price is "an invitation to buy". Once you are interested and you come to pay, the retailer must then tell you the exact price and you agree it then pay.

It may not be fair, but it is not illegal (in Europe anyway).
bklynvw
Junior Standardshifter

Post by bklynvw »

im majoring in buisness and first off YES it is illegal very much so. do you know how much cooking the books the oil companys do. its almost like a monopoly, which is one company controling one product market and charging what ever they want. with the gas oil companys youe have like 5 big companys which control all the oil and they charge high prices. there is no way that oil prices can fluctuate this much, i dont care they say its the war in iraq, its katrena, etc etc. how can the price of oil drop and rise $1 every 3 weeks?????. now what i think is happening right now is that all the ceos of the oil companys ROBBED US BLIND with katrena and are sitting on hills of money and people are pissed and organizations are going to be snooping around for info on these oil companys. so the oil companys have to loose some money and fast. thats why the gas prices are lowering rappidly now. by Q1 of 2007 i fully belive gas prices may drop down to $2 even. but dont get to happy because the first excuse to raise prices they will. so if you own stocks in any oil companys sell them now! and the reason the govment goesnt do anything is because they get taxes