Your worst moments

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 ford focus should 5s

Re: Your worst moments

Post by dakta1420 »

Lol doing it at 45 was bad enough I thought I killed that poor little car
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I once threw it in second instead of fourth going about 50. As soon as I started to let the clutch out I knew something was wrong.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

ClutchDisc wrote:I once threw it in second instead of fourth going about 50. As soon as I started to let the clutch out I knew something was wrong.
I did that once on my GTO. Shifter was vague and notchy and I completely mis-shifted. I was actually dropping the clutch pretty fast and locked up the rear wheels for a split second due to difference in revs. I could have spun it if I didn't clutch in right away.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

When I first started, I tried double clutching. Was going like 35-40 and was approaching a turn in 5th. So I shifting into N, but I forgot to blip and shifting into 2nd and dumped the clutch. Car shot up to like 4K~ all the way from idle. I seriously thought I broke my car.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

rml605 wrote:When I first started, I tried double clutching. Was going like 35-40 and was approaching a turn in 5th. So I shifting into N, but I forgot to blip and shifting into 2nd and dumped the clutch. Car shot up to like 4K~ all the way from idle. I seriously thought I broke my car.
:lol: :lol: We've all done that. "It's in gear, right?" vvvvrrrroOOOOOOOOOMMM!
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

ClutchDisc wrote:I once threw it in second instead of fourth going about 50. As soon as I started to let the clutch out I knew something was wrong.
A mistake avoided by noticing the problem before it became a problem big time. I did the same before, started going into too low a gear at too high a speed and noticed in time to avoid engaging in that gear.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

:lol: :lol: Last week I didn't have the clutch down quite far enough in my laziness and tried to put it in reverse to leave a parking spot. Started grinding and I realized my mistake. Distraction and laziness are not a good combination.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Not my worst moments but...

I was sick and i hadn't driven my car in a few days so I was a little rusty so I stalled at a light today. I saw the guy behind me smile, then we were stopped at another light and looked in my rear view and I saw him smiling again like he expected me to stall again. lol but thankfully I didn't.

Also this other day I was parked on the side of the road, went to pull out but the car was rolling back instead of moving forward. This had me puzzled for a couple seconds, then I realized I had put the car in reverse instead of 1st. :lol: In my defense, its hard to tell if you're in reverse or 1st just by looking at my shifter.
2012 VW Golf R