Short throw shifter with rev hang

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Shutout89
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Subaru WRX

Short throw shifter with rev hang

Post by Shutout89 »

Hey guys

I've been thinking of getting a short throw shifter for my car. I drive a 2011 wrx and my brother just recently purchased a 2014 wrx with a factory option short thow shifter. The shifts are a lot more crisp and tight feeling in his car. As far as I know the benefits of having a short throw shifter are mainly shorter throws (physical distance to move the shift lever while shifting), crisper shift feel, and less slop (play in the lever) while in gear, especially if the shifter bushings are also changed. Now the main reason for getting one I think is to shift quicker, but my car (and my brothers for that matter) have horrible rev hang so all the quicker shifter action would be doing is creating more time waiting to release the clutch. Granted the shift lever movement would be more crisp and controlled feeling. Is this correct or am I missing something?
2011 Subaru WRX 5MT
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Short throw shifter with rev hang

Post by watkins »

I dont recall the rev hang being too absurd in that generation of WRX...

Not that Ive driven one in a few months
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Indeed, if you're the type who waits around for rev hang then a short throw shifter might be a waste. Why do you wait for rev hang?

Anyway, consider this: You've got some money burning a hole in your pocket and an itch to spend it on the car. Why not spend it on a tune that will eliminate rev hang? Since you're waiting around for rev hang, eliminating it will make your shifts a whole lot faster and you won't have to turn a single bolt...you'll also potentially gain any other benefits that the tune will deliver.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Most people don't buy short-throw shifters to shift faster. It's more about the awesome feel. A good aftermarket shifter will make a stock shifter feel like a sloppy piece of junk. I've made the change on several of my vehicles in the past and it has always been a big improvement. I've described aftermarket shifters as having a "bolt action" type feel and I still think that's the best description. The shorter throw is a plus too, but it's really not about being able to physically shift faster. If you think about it, the small difference in throw isn't going to make a big difference in the speed of your shifts.....and if you want to shift faster, you can always just speed up your arm motions. Unless you're always shifting at the fastest speed you can physically manage, then a short-throw shifter isn't really going to make a difference in your shift speed, so don't get too hung up on faster shifting with an aftermarket short-throw shifter.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Yea, if the rev hang is the cause for your slow shifting then the short throw shifter will not help cus like you said you have to wait around for the revs to drop anyway. Plus like Shadow said, people go for a short throw shifter more for the feel than the actual reduction in throw.

BTW How is the rev hang in the WRX, does it hang at all rpms? Mine only hangs (not really hang but is slow to drop) at low rpms, its gone when I rev it up over 3500 rpm.
2012 VW Golf R
Shutout89
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Subaru WRX

Post by Shutout89 »

watkins wrote:I dont recall the rev hang being too absurd in that generation of WRX...

Not that Ive driven one in a few months
It mainly happens during the 1>2 shift. Also if the heat or a/c are on it seems to subside.
theholycow wrote:Why do you wait for rev hang?
I can't seem to smooth out the shift with the clutch going from 1>2. As soon as I even let off the clutch a bit the car seems to lurch forward. It's hard to explain because I'm not dumping the clutch either. The few times I do smooth it out by slipping the clutch it seems that I have to slip it so long that I could have just waited for the revs to drop. The problem seems really sporatic and not consistent at all. I honestly think a big part of it is just my lack of experience that prevents me from getting a smooth 1>2 shift.
theholycow wrote: Anyway, consider this: You've got some money burning a hole in your pocket and an itch to spend it on the car. Why not spend it on a tune that will eliminate rev hang? Since you're waiting around for rev hang, eliminating it will make your shifts a whole lot faster and you won't have to turn a single bolt...you'll also potentially gain any other benefits that the tune will deliver.
Hopefully this will be happening soon, I've been saving my pennies :). The tune will improve the car in many ways from what I've heard. The powerband smooths out, overall power increases a bit along with boost, some even claim mpg gets better, and many have said the car just feels smoother overall. I'm not in a rush to get a short throw shifter I was just commenting because my brothers car has one and It raised this question.
Shadow wrote:Most people don't buy short-throw shifters to shift faster. It's more about the awesome feel. A good aftermarket shifter will make a stock shifter feel like a sloppy piece of junk. I've made the change on several of my vehicles in the past and it has always been a big improvement. I've described aftermarket shifters as having a "bolt action" type feel and I still think that's the best description. The shorter throw is a plus too, but it's really not about being able to physically shift faster. If you think about it, the small difference in throw isn't going to make a big difference in the speed of your shifts.....and if you want to shift faster, you can always just speed up your arm motions. Unless you're always shifting at the fastest speed you can physically manage, then a short-throw shifter isn't really going to make a difference in your shift speed, so don't get too hung up on faster shifting with an aftermarket short-throw shifter.
Yeah this makes sense, my shifter does have quite a bit of slop and play while in gear so I would like to eventually get a short shifter. But I see how the logic of faster shifing is flawed because im definetly not always moving the shifter at top speeds.
daleadbull wrote: BTW How is the rev hang in the WRX, does it hang at all rpms? Mine only hangs (not really hang but is slow to drop) at low rpms, its gone when I rev it up over 3500 rpm.
It seems to persist at all RPMs going into 2nd and even sometimes 3rd at higher rpms. the hang seems to be worse at lower rpms though.

My brother in law has an R and he finds when shifting at higher RPMs the problem goes away.
2011 Subaru WRX 5MT