Don't Spinout Close To The Police Station!

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

Your terminology didn't offend me. Your antics irritated me.

Seriously, take you and yourself to a performance driving school where you will learn how to maximize your driving skill instead of goofing off in parking lots burning up your tires and laughing like Beavis.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
http://www.teamSMR.com
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

BigTippy wrote:
Where I'm from, "spinning out" is defined as: "A high revving of a vehicle's engine, causing the tires to spin."

I don't know, maybe that's some redneck's definition. Maybe "burnout" is a better word. I just used the terminology I knew. Sorry if I offended you.
Don't mean to feed the troll, but can't really let this one slip..

If thats your definition of a spin out, then what is your definition of an "actual spin out" where your car actually spins out of control. Maybe you think that a 'burnout' is a spinout, but the rest of the world can tell the difference between a spinout and a burnout.

You should listen to Gary on this one since he is an actual pro race driver. And obviously he's a hellova lot more mature than you. :evil: :roll:
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

GarySheehan wrote:Seriously, take you and yourself to a performance driving school where you will learn how to maximize your driving skill instead of goofing off in parking lots burning up your tires and laughing like Beavis.
Beavis is cool. :)

On a separate note, what driving school do you recommend? I'm hoping to learn a few street techniques (regaining control in over/understeer or hydroplane condition when you're not 100% race focused), a few fundamentals (smoother shifts/heel-toes) and basic race techniques (when not to lift in a turn, slow in/fast out, making weight transfer work for you, etc.). I feel like I know the concepts behind them, but lack the exposure and experience to them that's needed to make them second nature. Also, I'd prefer to learn in my own car. Also, is an HPDE a safe way to learn racing techniques, or would I be better off getting time at an auto-x first?
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Beavis is cool, but he never did a spinout though :lol:.
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

LS1Leader wrote:
On a separate note, what driving school do you recommend? I'm hoping to learn a few street techniques (regaining control in over/understeer or hydroplane condition when you're not 100% race focused), a few fundamentals (smoother shifts/heel-toes) and basic race techniques (when not to lift in a turn, slow in/fast out, making weight transfer work for you, etc.). I feel like I know the concepts behind them, but lack the exposure and experience to them that's needed to make them second nature. Also, I'd prefer to learn in my own car. Also, is an HPDE a safe way to learn racing techniques, or would I be better off getting time at an auto-x first?
HPDE is a great way to learn all of the above. Very beginner environment with close coaching. I'd say take your car to a NASA HPDE and enjoy yourself!

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Sounds good... what kind of risks am I taking with my car by going to an HPDE (i.e., what's the risk of crashing, for the basic lead-and-follow session)? And how much would I be looking to spend on a single HPDE session, ballpark figure?
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

Well, of course you risk damaging your car if you drive over your head. The instructors are very good at bringing you up to speed. And you don't have to go any faster than you feel comfortable with.

You will be in the beginner group, which is very tightly organized and run. Very limited passing areas, only with a point-by from the other driver. Essentially, little to no risk of car to car contact because everyone is VERY aware of the other cars, no one is racing.

Probably looking at around $200 - $250 for a day at the track. You'll be tired at the end of the day!

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
pHEnomIC
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pHEnomIC »

Actually at the dragstrip, you are supposed to spin your tires (assuming you have slicks) to heat them up and usually you are supposed to get em a bit wet first.

Street tires deserve a once over to clean them off but don't need a crazy burnout.
2002 SOM T/A m6
1997 Black Z/28 a4
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Nah man, you're missing Mr Sheehan's point. It isn't a matter of whether you should do a burn out. It is a matter of whether or not it is an admirable thing to do. You can do some pretty wild thing on the street and still get somewhere instead of hiding in a parking lot. If you're gonna wear out your tires, you might as well go somewhere farther than the next red light.
newbieee
Junior Standardshifter

Post by newbieee »

cops can not give u a ticket unless they SEE you do it.

that's why Arnold didn't get a ticket for riding his motor cycle without a license. The cop did not SEE him ride it.

so the cop must have seen you from the police parking lot.