Spoiler woes

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Spoiler woes

Post by Paolo300zx »

I know this has nothing to do with a standard tranny, butim desparate.

I have a 1990 300zx TT and it was rear ended in it about 2 years ago. There was damage to the spoiler and it had to be repainted. Suddenly and randomly the paint on it cracked. its made of a foam substance. My guess is it is shrinking and expanding in the cold weather and that is causing the paint to crack. I have had it repainted twice, and its starting to crack again. Why does it suddenly crack after being repainted, and not when the origional paint was on it? The guys at the body shop have no longer gauranteed it (which is bs, if anything they should buy me a new one). Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do? has anyone heard of this problem before?
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Did you completely strip the old paint and sand it down and cleaned it before repainting? I know that if you don't, it is highly possible for crackig to occur. I can't really explain why cuz' I don't really know much about paint, but from what I've heard for many other people, it does occur if the proper steps aren't taken.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

I remember talking about body kits with my buddy years ago... he worked at a body/paint shop, and I was talking about a kit I saw that claimed to be made of polyurethane, so it wouldn't crack in a collision, it would just bend in. He told me that was impossible, because you couldn't paint it, and he alluded to the fact that it was too flexible.

I don't know what material your spoiler is, and I don't know that much about paint, but I'm guessing wildly that a different type of paint or different method might be needed to prevent it from cracking. Wish I could help more, but I really have no clue.