Confirmation on something.

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
oN_EDge
Junior Standardshifter

Confirmation on something.

Post by oN_EDge »

When i first started driving standard on monday 8/28, to slow down i would shift into neutral and just brake accordingly. But after reading a lot about down shifting, i decided to try it. But i want to make sure what i am doing is right, so it doesnt become a bad habit.

Ok here it is, When i am slowing down for a light or stop sign going around 30-50.

At 50 mph, i downshift to 3rd and release the clutch slowly so it doesnt buck and brake and release the clutch together, very smooth and strong brake.

and @30-40mph, I downshift to 2nd and release the clutch slowly while i am braking and as i get closer to the light i remove the clutch for a gentle yet strong stop.

Well there it is, oh and 1 more thing. On launching I find it smoother if i never completely release the clutch. I will release it slowly, to about 90% press it in again and shift into 2nd @ around 1000 rpms so the shift into 2nd so its a smooth shift, is that right?
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

If you're certain you will be stopping, there really is no need to downshift unless you absolutely need engine braking. Just brake until the rpm's drop to a little over a 1000 rpm, then clutch in, finish braking. If you downshift that much without rev matching, you will eat up your clutch a lot faster than if you did revmatch or didn't downshift.

As for the shift, you are doing it wrong. Even a slight pressure on the pedal might be enough for the clutch to keep slipping. So, foot off the clutch, then back on for the shift. Only time you should be keeping the foot on the clutch and pushing in and out is when backing out, crawling.

edit: Better to stay in gear when braking ... so yes, your downshifting is better than coasting in neutral.
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Re: Confirmation on something.

Post by Prodigal Son »

oN_EDge wrote:When i first started driving standard on monday 8/28, to slow down i would shift into neutral and just brake accordingly.
That is almost correct. The only thing you should change is to leave the car in gear until the revs drop below about 1000. Then shift to neutral and continue braking until stopped.
oN_EDge wrote:But after reading a lot about down shifting, i decided to try it. But i want to make sure what i am doing is right, so it doesnt become a bad habit.

Ok here it is, When i am slowing down for a light or stop sign going around 30-50.

At 50 mph, i downshift to 3rd and release the clutch slowly so it doesnt buck and brake and release the clutch together, very smooth and strong brake.

and @30-40mph, I downshift to 2nd and release the clutch slowly while i am braking and as i get closer to the light i remove the clutch for a gentle yet strong stop.
Downshifting when coming to a stop is completely unnecessary. The only time you would want to downshift is to get more power to pass another car or to select a lower gear when your speed has dropped too far to resume in the current gear.

In all cases you want to get off the clutch reasonabley quickly. Keeping your foot on the clutch too long wears the clutch and wastes power.
oN_EDge wrote:Well there it is, oh and 1 more thing. On launching I find it smoother if i never completely release the clutch. I will release it slowly, to about 90% press it in again and shift into 2nd @ around 1000 rpms so the shift into 2nd so its a smooth shift, is that right?
That is very low for a shift to second. It will put you into a very low rev range for 2nd that could lead to lugging and certainly to sluggish acceleration. It is more usual to shift between 2500 and 3000 RPM. Again, it is important to get off the clutch fairly quickly to avoid wear and wasted energy.

Welcome to the site, by the way.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

yeah what PureLife said. if you're definitely gonna stop there's no reason to downshift. just brake in the current gear to about 1k rpm then go to neutral and finish stopping.

for taking off in 1st you should get the clutch fully engaged, and also 1k rpm seems really low to shift into 2nd. actually i think it'd be impossible in my car but i'm sure yours is different.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

I overlooked the shift to 2nd at 1000 rpm part ... that is too low. If you're doing that, you might as well be starting from 2nd.

Take it to 2500-3000 rpm then shift. It might help the smoothness actually, and don't worry, it's not using more gas ... your lugging might be wasting more. :D
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Re: Confirmation on something.

Post by Hatchman »

oN_EDge wrote: When i am slowing down for a light or stop sign going around 30-50.

Too complicated and too many unnecessary downshifts for a complete stop my friend 8) Simply stay in 4th gear and release the gas as you near the stop. Brake as needed and clutch in only when you're hovering around 1000 revs.
oN_EDge wrote:Well there it is, oh and 1 more thing. On launching I find it smoother if i never completely release the clutch. I will release it slowly, to about 90% press it in again and shift into 2nd @ around 1000 rpms so the shift into 2nd so its a smooth shift, is that right?
You are essentially riding the clutch by launching this way. Do it by the book and your clutch will be happier. Release the clutch fully after you've launched. Then do the usual thing for upshifting to 2nd. Don't be afraid to run it up to 3000+ revs in 1st gear, if traffic permits, before shifting into 2nd. You can get a smooth 1-2 shift without shifting at 1000 revs LOL. Shifting that low requires way to much clutch play, and unnecessary clutch play leads to premature clutch replacement. :wink:
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

Like everyone has said, braking usually just involves slowing down in gear (5th gear can easily go to 10-20 mph without stalling), pushing in the clutch, shifting in neutral, while braking during the process.

I would most definitely let the clutch engage fully and as soon and smoothly as humanly possible (without stalling). If you don't let off on the pedal fully, you will essentially be "riding" the clutch. If you do this the flywheel and the engine drive shaft (correct terms?) will not be able to turn at the same speeds, resulting in unecessary prolonged friction, thus causing premature wear and tear on the clutch.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

mikebai1990 wrote: If you do this the flywheel and the engine drive shaft (correct terms?) will not be able to turn at the same speeds, resulting in unecessary prolonged friction, thus causing premature wear and tear on the clutch.
the engine/flywheel and clutch/transmission input shaft
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

jomotopia wrote:
mikebai1990 wrote: If you do this the flywheel and the engine drive shaft (correct terms?) will not be able to turn at the same speeds, resulting in unecessary prolonged friction, thus causing premature wear and tear on the clutch.
the engine/flywheel and clutch/transmission input shaft
Thanks, jomo, I was just taking random words out of my head that seemed to be related to the clutch and flywheel :roll:
hsingarajah
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hsingarajah »

As far as braking goes, you waste more gas by shifting into neutral opposed to slowing down in gear. When you're in gear with your foot off the throttle (if I understand correctly), the direct connection from the transmission to the engine allows the engine to spin using the momentum of the car, hence if you have fuel injected truck, you won't be using any gas.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but does anyone else slow down in the gear that they're to the poing where the engine is going slow enough that you can simply slide the shifter into neutral without pushing the clutch in?
1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE (5 sp. MT)
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

hsingarajah wrote:I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but does anyone else slow down in the gear that they're to the poing where the engine is going slow enough that you can simply slide the shifter into neutral without pushing the clutch in?
I'm sure you can get away with that, but I for one push the clutch down fully every time I want to move the shifter out of gear.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

hsingarajah wrote: I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but does anyone else slow down in the gear that they're to the poing where the engine is going slow enough that you can simply slide the shifter into neutral without pushing the clutch in?
I do that all the time. Trust me when I say it's a very bad habit :o :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

It's not a bad habit. As long as there is no resistance, it is perfectly fine.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

hasn't it been said before that you can pretty much get out of gear and into neutral without the clutch at just about any speed without much problem, but getting in to gear without the clutch is what can cause seriuos issues? i always use the clutch if i'm moving the stick.
hsingarajah
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hsingarajah »

Well it's pretty obvious you wont have trouble getting OUT of gear with the clutch in.

But, sometimes if I'm in 4th gear, i may be going at like 30 km/h (I dont' have a tach..yet)... and the engine is going fast enough so that it's about idle speed.. ANy lower and it'll lug, and as I brake it seems to have as little resistance as when the clutch is in. I don't ever force it out...

But if this is a bad habit I'll take your word for it and stop!
1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE (5 sp. MT)