Sometimes one driver can vastly improve traffic

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Sometimes one driver can vastly improve traffic

Post by Ecmslee »

http://www.amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html

Has anyone else read this page before? It's about traffic shaping and how even one car can change the flow of traffic. I found it to be quite eye opening.

Also, since I've long held the hunch that not only driving in a consistent manner but also allowing ample space for other drivers to change lanes and merge freely would help to keep traffic flowing smoothly, this read definitely confirmed my thoughts.

One of my friends used to complain about how "stupid drivers" don't fill in the spaces in front of them. He would say that they slowed down traffic/reduced capacity of the road/etc. Needless to say this straightened him out. :D
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

I've also seen this page before. But I didn't the author wrote so much. I only read the first page :) It's definitely interesting and true in theory. Maybe I'll have my parents try it out sometime in a traffic jam.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

That page has been posted on the site before, but it is an excellent and highly informative site. More folks should read it, and a repost won't hurt anything here. :)

Amazing stuff, isn't it? Try out the spacing experiment (in the right lane, with about a minute's worth of space in front of you). You'll be amazed at how much it helps, and you really can break up a jam!
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

interesting stuff. i eat waves every day. :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I drive like that. Been driving like that since I read that article a few years ago.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
DW10+BE4/5L
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DW10+BE4/5L »

mikebai1990 wrote:I've also seen this page before. But I didn't the author wrote so much. I only read the first page :) It's definitely interesting and true in theory. Maybe I'll have my parents try it out sometime in a traffic jam.
I've read the faq where Bill emphasises that he doesn't present theories, just observations. Although it's difficult to know what's going on behind you, I'd guess that leaving a larger than average gap in front of you means that you have a long, dense queue of cars behind you. That queue will make it difficult for people to enter the motorway and so at least some of the advantage gained by leaving a large gap will be cancelled.

I have observed that quite many overtake me if I leave a large gap. Well at least I get to drive a bit more smootly and save some fuel.

The fundamental problem is that the human sense of sight isn't very good at estimating the relative speed of the cars ahead. I wish there was a head-up display of distance and speed. ACC of course solves the problem as well, at least in principle.
bunnyman
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 tC

Post by bunnyman »

DW10+BE4/5L wrote: I've read the faq where Bill emphasises that he doesn't present theories, just observations. Although it's difficult to know what's going on behind you, I'd guess that leaving a larger than average gap in front of you means that you have a long, dense queue of cars behind you. That queue will make it difficult for people to enter the motorway and so at least some of the advantage gained by leaving a large gap will be cancelled.
Nope. The drivers behind you will do whatever they want no matter what you do. They'll pass you if they're in a hurry, or they'll leave proper following distance if they aren't. If they're in a hurry and there's no way to pass (traffic jam situation) they'll ride your bumper no matter what you do.

That's the thing about this anti-traffic theory. It works, but it only helps the drivers behind you. There's nothing you can do to help the drivers in front of you. You might help yourself by giving the slow traffic in front of you some time to clear up, but the major benefit is for the drivers behind you.
I have observed that quite many overtake me if I leave a large gap. Well at least I get to drive a bit more smootly and save some fuel.
Only the impatient drivers will do that. Most people actually won't do it. Eventually you'll build up a line of patient drivers behind you, with all the impatient ones in front.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

thats interesting. I've noticed that, but never really tried to fix it, because people always cut in front of me, and ruin it, so i just go w/ the flow now.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

I hardly think one person can affect the flow as a whole, but I'll not only to be patient, but save some wear on clutch and gas mileage to more gently move up and round and stuff to prevent stop go stop go stop go traffic.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I do like it though, when I flcik my turn signal on, and there is a gap just a bit too small next to me, and the guy slows down a bit so I can fit in, which I usually do in return to other people unless they've been weaving, then it makes me mad. I also try to coordinate with people merging onto the highway, I will try and leave a gap for them, or if theres enough room, just slide over a lane to make thier life easier.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

i might have to try that (what the article talks about) tomorrow while driving...b/c tonight, the traffic prolly won't be heavy enough.