How long have you been driving manual?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i've been driving the STi for about 7 months now. i'd say i was fairly proficient after 2-3 months but i still have launch issues every once in a while and unsmooth days.

about 7 years prior to getting the STi i drove stick (improperly, lots of high revs and long slips to get going) for about 2 months. had a little practice a couple of months before getting the STi. so i wasn't starting from scratch but fairly close as far as doing things correctly.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

I've been driving for a couple months over a year now.
magnus_1986
Master Standardshifter

Post by magnus_1986 »

I started driving like ten or eleven months ago.

I've gotten my launches, shifting, control and everything to a satisfactory level according to me. Now I want ot move on to DCing, DCHT in particular.
Do not try to find 3rd, for you may not always reach it. Just go up and let it reach you!
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

I've been driving standard since 1975. Don't honestly remember how long it took before I felt proficient.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Since February.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Sisrahtac
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Sisrahtac »

Just over 2 months
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

About the time the Camaro crapped out (8 months after purchase) I was becoming proficient.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

Maybe 15 months for me. I feel very comfortable at this point. And I'd say I'm 90% happy with my executions and decisions. Proficinecy would have come sooner if I hadn't bought a brand new manual after less than a year in my first manual. It's a bit of a setback getting the feel for one car while trying to forget the behaviours and feel of another.
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

I think I'm comming up on my 2nd month. I'm getting pretty okay, I rarely stall, my shifts may be excellent one day, shit the next. So it all depends.
RRedSi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RRedSi »

I "learned" to drive manual about 10 years, but that was self-taught hence the quotation marks.

When I got my Si in March is when I really started. I read as much as I could both on this site and others beforehand and I did fairly well once I picked my car up.

I even hired a driving instructor after I'd had my car for a few days to give me pointers and correct any bad habits I might have picked up.
He said I was doing great and to keep practicing.

I became really comfortable after 2 months or so. The thing that sucks is that I don't get to drive everyday. I leave for work and then don't get to drive it til 3-4 or more days later when I get back.

I miss my car almost as much as I miss my wife! :wink:
2007 Si
Peter
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Peter »

Since 20-05-2003, the day I got my driving (driver? driver's?) licence (license?) (gosh, I love British and American English :lol: )...

So for three years and a few months now (and 37 driving lessons :oops:), but I only get to drive around in my parents' cars, because I can't afford to buy my own car :cry:
Dusty
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Dusty »

lets see i wa about six when i first learded...on my grand dad's old John Deere 3 speed tractor. at 9 i was driving the old 56 Willis he had (mine now) and i took and passed my road test in my 69 (then stock) Mustang with a 4 speed. all my trucks now are 4 or 5 speeds, none of these silly 6 and 7 speed things
Found Off Road Daily
1992 Ford Bronco 5.0 4x4
buster
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Prius

Post by buster »

I drove a 5-spd '90 Thunderbird SC for about 6 months in 1995, then went 10 years without a single shift (went through 2 AT cars). Finally decided I needed to get back into shifting, so I got my 5-spd Scion in March of last year. So total time driving stick for me would be 2 years.

I became proficient with stick in....well...I guess I'll have to let you know when I become proficient because it hasn't happened yet...
"and Leon's getting laaaarrrrgggggeeeerrrr"
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

I've been driving for.... -2 years. Hopefully my parents will let me drive soon (Just turned 16). They feel that I'll drive recklessly and don't want me risking my life to satisfy my urge to drive :) I think I would be a pretty responsible driver, but I really can't say for sure. The insurance rates are obviously another concern for them.

When I get a car, I'm definitely try my best to get a manual. I've learned so much on this website, but I don't have a car to try all of these techniques. It's just so much more interesting than an automatic with the brake pedal and the gas. It's almost an art :)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Hatchman wrote:Proficinecy would have come sooner if I hadn't bought a brand new manual after less than a year in my first manual. It's a bit of a setback getting the feel for one car while trying to forget the behaviours and feel of another.
I see this as more of a good thing than a bad thing. I had been driving my Civic for almost 2 years when I got the Maxima. I had been "proficient" within a year of getting the Civic (and pretty darn good by 6 months). Then, when I drove the Maxima, I was really bad. I couldn't get smooth shifts and my launches were almost never good. It was utterly frustrating, as I had been fine with the Civic. It took me another 2-3 months to get smooth with the Maxima. When I'd go back to the Civic, I found I could drive it even better than before I had the Maxima. The more cars you drive, the more proficient you will become. Looking back, I don't think I could consider myself totally proficient if all I was good at was driving the Civic.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.